[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Week 1 thoughts

Week 1 thoughts

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Week 1 thoughts

Postby BearDown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Thoughts on Week 1 (no particular order)

1. Wright looked good -minus the punt muff
2. UNH historically plays poorly early season even in playoff years (think HC and Dartmouth)
3. UNH does not look like a playoff team (with or without Trevor)
4. Maine O was solid
5. Maine D was stellar
6. We'll miss 34 but his replacements did a nice job
7. Edwards needs to stay electric but keep emotions in check
8. Doak needs to step up
9. Maine truly finished the game -yet still has a lot of room for growth (maybe the biggest positive?)
10. Great to catch that dub week 1 over your arch rival!
11. It's only week 1

Go Blue!

Beat WKU
BearDown

Re: Week 1 thoughts

Postby BearDown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Also...

UNH looked incredibly FLAT for a week 1 rivalry game
Curious if Trevor was hurt leading into the game and he was pulled? (could have led to them being flat too)
Edwards will miss the first half of WKU (Ouch! if that's the case -we'll need all our playmakers) Want him to keep the swagger (but be poised)
The D-Line was dominant
DB's made some great plays
Did Fergy get sacked even one time?
BearDown

Postby BearDown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 pm

One last point....

Please, please, please....NEVER try to be cute down at the GL and put in your former QB to run the wildcat after your starter has just led his team down the field on a great drive. Keep the momentum going and just finish the drive -ESPECIALLY week 1 for your first scoring chance.

Hopefully it's a learning opportunity for Charlton.
BearDown

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:57 am

BearDown, did you actually watch the play where they put Belcher in at QB?

It was a perfect play call, and Belcher would have walked into the end zone were it not for a false start.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby maine612 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am

It was a great night. Worried about placekicking and punting... those things need to be great in order to win close big games. I didn't see the game (thanks to the wonders of technology) so didn't get to see the Edwards penalties. hopefully a good learning situation.

maine612

Postby maine612 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 am

I like golf as much as the next guy, but I am surprised the football game is not front and center on the BDN online sports page this morning.

maine612

Postby thebam » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:04 am

1. Really frustrating that there was not an opportunity to watch this game from Oklahoma. Not sure where the problem lies, but the link for foxsports go did not work and the FSG App did not have the game listed ( or any game for that matter). Won't be an issue in Week 2 as the car is already packed for Bowling Green, KY.

2. From eyewitness accounts , written reports and my own analysis of those reports, we still have an issue with the damn kicking game. XP's should be a no brainer. Why this continues to be an issue is beyond me. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

3. Can't get players ejected from games. I know it's emotional. I know ***ck unh. However, after you get 1 unsportsmanlike, you have to be better after that no matter what.

4. Is the Black Hole really back? It sure seems that way. All the pre-season hype was on how good this defense is going to be and they delivered!!! They will obviously only get better as the year goes on!

5. The Chris Ferguson doubters can all take a big swig of STFU now. I think a lot of people just forgot he was only a RS Freshman last year. He wasn't perfect, but last night he showed why the patience with him is going to pay off.

6. Sounds like it was a huge crowd. (eyewitness accounts) So, kudos to the fans for showing up! It was an abomination to schedule this game on the day it was scheduled so it was great to see people came out and supported a great program anyway.

7. For the rest of the CAA.. Message sent. Maine is legit and should be respected as such going foward. Can't wait for next Saturday.
thebam

Postby fafan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

Love this discussion and agree with many of the points, here's some more points to add:
1)Attendance at 6,500 turned out to be a good crowd considering all the negative issues. Large walkup crowd and 15 minutes before kickoff line was very long and sure a lot of people missed the kickoff. Hopefully people learn to buy tickets in advance. Would expect a huge crowd for the next game 10/6 with Villanova.

2)#2 Devin Young had a nice game considering he was not even mentioned as a weapon. Used as a WR and RB.

3)love the different style backs in Fitzy and Jefferson. Fitzy straight up the middle and Jefferson the shifty East-West runner.

4)The defensive front played as advertised and the DB's Devaughn, Nelson, St. Lot and Patterson looked like lockdown defenders

5)Would like to see more of the #1 D guys NOT used so much on special teams. Taji Lowe visited the injury tent after a punt and don't know how serious his issue was but made me think how risky it is having the starters on punt teams.

6) As I mentioned earlier Edwards is a special athlete but saw it could be a struggle to keep him focused, hopefully a learning game for him.

7)kudos to Coach H. for his postgame comments to the Minor family about the Black Bear family and this is why Darius chose Maine to be part of it, very eloquent and emotional.

8)Rate this win as a top 5 win for this program b/c of how dominating we were and stopping this streak of UNH. Have to be a top 20 team after this win!!!
fafan

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am

Week 1 Lineups:

Offense:
LT: Docos
LG: Garcia
C: Mulvey (Gerace as backup, looks amazing)
RG: Dobson
RT: Levy

QB: Ferguson
RB: Jefferson/Fitzpatrick tandem
WR1: Wright
WR2: Edwards
WR3: Blair
WR4: Young
Depth: Miller?

Defense:
DE: Wiley (Walsh backup)
DT: Oregon (Stevens backup)
DT: Mitchell (Bowman backup)
DE: Whitaker
LB: Sheffield
LB: Stevens
LB: Lowe
3rd Down LB: Grayer (possibly injured?)
CB: Patterson
CB: DeVaughn
Nickel/Dime CB's: Swann, St. Lot
S: Hart
S: Robinson, Nelson

K: Doak
P: Gelb
LS: Colee
UMaineSuperfan

Postby BearDown » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:19 pm

UMaineSuperfan: Yeah, I did watch the Belcher play at QB -and the penalty was my point. It's your first scoring opportunity for the year in Game 1 against your arch rival...the team is flowing and is used to CF's cadence when all the sudden you get cute and throw in Belcher -boom, 5 yard penalty. Save that stuff for later in the year when the team has matured a little more and can handle the little nuisances/changeups. It didn't burn us ultimately but it could have. Doaks not great with 23 yard FG attempts.
BearDown

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics