Maine Softball takes Two!!!!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Maine Softball takes Two!!!!

Postby gofour » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Maine softball got two wins today. First against Western Carolina 6-0. Senior Jenna Balent went the distance and pitched a gem. Second game was over Nationally ranked Virginia Tech 4-1 in nine innings. Alexis Soularis homered in the bottom of the 9th for the walk off win. Freshman Ashley Kelley went the distance while giving up 1 unearned run as Maine improves to 3-4 on the season.
gofour

Re: Maine Softball takes Two!!!!

Postby mainejeff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Great start to the season for the Black Bears! I wonder where the Deb Smith naysayers are now? Was I one of them?.......I can't remember. :? I certainly was surprised that she was re-hired.

Ashley Kelley should really help this program over the next 4 years......she could be a DOMINANT pitcher in America East.

Last season Maine didn't win their 3rd game until game #32......this season it only took 7 games. :)
mainejeff

Postby gofour » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 pm

It is early here but I am going to go out on a limb. Balent and Kelley will not only lead this team into the American East tournament but it will be hosted at Maine. Keep in mind there are a number of others that will help make this team great. The offense has unlimited potential. The defense is getting stronger every game. They will be fun to watch.
gofour

Postby mainejeff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:19 pm

gofour wrote:It is early here but I am going to go out on a limb. Balent and Kelley will not only lead this team into the American East tournament but it will be hosted at Maine. Keep in mind there are a number of others that will help make this team great. The offense has unlimited potential. The defense is getting stronger every game. They will be fun to watch.

They definitely have the experience to compete for the top spot. And they are getting the PITCHING AND SCORING RUNS.
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:10 pm

YES !!!!!!! Some Good News for UMaine Sports Team and Some REAL Promise !!!!
TAL1957

Re: Maine Softball takes Three!!!!

Postby gofour » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Maine beats host team Coastal Carolina 9-0 in 5 innings. Cayleigh Montano went the distance for her first win. Lex Soularis hit her second HR in as many games. That brings Maine's record to 4-4 on the season and 3-0 at the Coastal Carolina Classic. They face Appalachian State tomorrow at 9:00 for their final game of the weekend.
gofour

Postby mainejeff » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 pm

What a difference a year (and a new coach?) makes! Took Maine 34 games last season to get win #4.

I wonder if the program has set a record for wins in the month of February?
mainejeff

Postby gofour » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:12 am

Other than last years crash and burn season, Maine does have a winning tradition in softball. They went to the NCAA tournament in 2004 and won the American East regular season crown on 2006 while accomplishing a Maine record of 35 wins in a season. I believe they went 4-2 in February that year.

Individual accomplishments have been strong. 5 American East Player of the Year winners and 5 NCAA Northeast All-Americans. This years team will put the program back on track.
gofour

Postby grin2us » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Good to see the team has done pretty well so far (5-6)...at least compared to last year. Kudos to AK and all she went through last year with her injury. She certainly deserves the fruits of her labor.

There is a good nucleus of talented players and I look forward to seeing how far they can go!
grin2us

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics