Athletic Director

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Athletic Director

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm

dunbar wrote:One cannot make a valid comparison between being an AD at Bapst nearly 20 years ago to working in a Division I athletic department.

90% of heading a D-I athletic program is marketing and fundraising. It’s a political role, like many higher-ups in higher education.
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 pm

A consultant to aid in the hiring of the next AD. Hope to have one in place by September 1, according to the BDN.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/14/s ... -director/
fafan

Postby MattyB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 am

I may be crazy, but does anyone else think this consultant should have been hired earlier? :?:
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby fafan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 am

MattyB wrote:I may be crazy, but does anyone else think this consultant should have been hired earlier? :?:

No, 4 months to hire a consultant, is OK. :lol:
fafan

Postby Blackbear28 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
dunbar wrote:One cannot make a valid comparison between being an AD at Bapst nearly 20 years ago to working in a Division I athletic department.

90% of heading a D-I athletic program is marketing and fundraising. It’s a political role, like many higher-ups in higher education.

"dunbar": I was referring to the burn out post to basketball_guy.

If 90% of heading a D-1 athletic program is marketing and fundraising why not just hire a Maine politician or a former Maine politician, seeing that the remaining 10% is done by the many D-1 assistants to the AD fundraiser and marketeer.

Because Steve Abbott work out soooo well :roll: Kreech did a great job modernizing the athletic department. Easily one of the better athletic directors Maine's had.
Blackbear28

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Hope they can bring in someone with experience who at least has some Vision as to where
he wants to see the UMAINE sports programs 5 or 10 years down the road... :D
basketball_guy

Postby RForester » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Hope they can bring in someone with experience who at least has some Vision as to where
he wants to see the UMAINE sports programs 5 or 10 years down the road... :D

Y does it have to be a male in charge??
RForester

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm

I am not against a female athletic director. It is just I have not seen too many female athletic directors overseeing Division 1A football programs that have been successful. Have you? Right now UMAINE is at a Crossroads as far as the Athletic Director job goes because they have not invested as much into the football program, nor have they done much to enhance their fundraising capabilities by hiring a Professional fundraiser. Due to the lack of resources and lack of vision on the part of previous AD's the funding issue has become a major issue now. There are ways to work on that issue but it is going to take an AD with more Vision looking forward than UMAINE has had
in quite some time. I also feel that the AD job is the most important job in the Athletic department because he
or she will set the timetable and the tempo for moving things forward. It is going to be a difficult job at the present time because of the turnover recently and the funding problems as well. Whomever they bring in will have a lot to solve on their respective plate. That is why it will require someone with some prior experience in such
matters.

When your competition can afford to double the basketball salary of their Basketball Coach at UMBC and we have
seen what has transpired over the past four years in the UMAINE basketball program then you know that the next AD at UMAINE is going to have his or her work cut out for them. He or she will need all the help and vision they can get.
basketball_guy

Postby RForester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am

basketball_guy wrote:I am not against a female athletic director. It is just I have not seen too many female athletic directors overseeing Division 1A football programs that have been successful. Have you? Right now UMAINE is at a Crossroads as far as the Athletic Director job goes because they have not invested as much into the football program, nor have they done much to enhance their fundraising capabilities by hiring a Professional fundraiser. Due to the lack of resources and lack of vision on the part of previous AD's the funding issue has become a major issue now. There are ways to work on that issue but it is going to take an AD with more Vision looking forward than UMAINE has had
in quite some time. I also feel that the AD job is the most important job in the Athletic department because he
or she will set the timetable and the tempo for moving things forward. It is going to be a difficult job at the present time because of the turnover recently and the funding problems as well. Whomever they bring in will have a lot to solve on their respective plate. That is why it will require someone with some prior experience in such
matters.

When your competition can afford to double the basketball salary of their Basketball Coach at UMBC and we have
seen what has transpired over the past four years in the UMAINE basketball program then you know that the next AD at UMAINE is going to have his or her work cut out for them. He or she will need all the help and vision they can get.

Yeah u right. Penn State, Washington, Pitt...theyre not successful DI football programs.
RForester

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

[img]http://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt:FTBL22.UA[/img]

Nope, my grandfather was an All-American at Pitt and Pitt has never really been the same
since Pop Warner left. My grandfather played for Pop Warner for four years and they went 29-0
over four years, won three College Division 1A championships at PITT from 1914 to 1918.

I think Heather is trying hard but no I don't think a female AD works for football.

Nuff said...
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics