Athletic Director

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Athletic Director

Postby dunbar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 am

They replaced the Friends groups with a standard capital campaign with name recognition and a donation-match program.

What a damn shame. /s
dunbar

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Are they currently looking for a new AD or are they staying with "Interim Guy".

I was wondering if they set up a search commitee as yet?
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Are they currently looking for a new AD or are they staying with "Interim Guy".

I was wondering if they set up a search committee as yet?

"basketball_guy": There is a search committee, but the problem with that is 2 of the in house assistant AD's are on the search committee and they should be considered.

In fact, one of them should be hired and not another out-of-state assistant AD as Maine has had in the past who are going to have to learn on the job and usually are just going to use the job as a career stepping stone.

Also, they have no experience of being the head athletic director.

This job needs a person who has actually been and Athletic Director not an assistant. But, if Maine is going to hire an assistant then it should be one who is on the Maine staff right now.

No learning curve for the UMaine assistant AD's as they know all there is to know about the Maine athletic program.

History will probably repeat itself and another out-of- state AD will be hired and then try to leave as soon as possible like in the past.
bcbc55

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 am

I don't completely disagree with you, Bob. But if we can get a quality person, who has lots of experience with multiple D1 schools, understands fundraising, and knows all the facets of the job of an athletic director, then someone from "away" might be the best choice. Heck, we had the guy the last time we interviewed candidates but we chose someone else. I heard that a number of people on the last interview committee preferred this guy. And he would stay around - he has local ties.
Birdman

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Birdman wrote:I don't completely disagree with you, Bob. But if we can get a quality person, who has lots of experience with multiple D1 schools, understands fundraising, and knows all the facets of the job of an athletic director, then someone from "away" might be the best choice. Heck, we had the guy the last time we interviewed candidates but we chose someone else. I heard that a number of people on the last interview committee preferred this guy. And he would stay around - he has local ties.

"Birdman": And I agree with you, as it is BIG IF. It hasn't worked out for UMaine in the past few AD's or Maine wouldn't be looking for one right now again.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Being an AD is a tough job and many burn out after several years...dealing with Alumni can
be more difficult than coaching...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:12 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Being an AD is a tough job and many burn out after several years...dealing with Alumni can
be more difficult than coaching...

"basketball_guy": I agree AD is a tough job, especially if you do not have a secretary and are coaching basketball at a Private High School and have the most sports in Eastern Maine and with no owned facilities except a small gym.

D-1 College AD's (including UMaine) have all kinds of assistants in all areas of their programs and secretaries galore and are not coaching from mid November to March.

High school AD's in big high schools, have as many athletic programs as UMaine, have budgeting, hiring and evaluating coaches, MPA rules to follow, own facilities to take care of, etc. They don't have usually more than one secretary or assistant. Plus, many have to deal with parents which college AD's do not have to.

I don't feel that D-1 college AD jobs are any more burn out jobs than high school AD's in Maine at big high schools with over 1200 students.

Based on experience of 13 years as a private high school AD and basketball coach with 450 students and with more sports than the public high school (with no facilites) with over 1200 students was AD at for 5 years.

Just my opinion. "Different AD strokes for different AD folks".
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

One cannot make a valid comparison between being an AD at Bapst nearly 20 years ago to working in a Division I athletic department.

90% of heading a D-I athletic program is marketing and fundraising. It’s a political role, like many higher-ups in higher education.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 pm

dunbar wrote:90% of heading a D-I athletic program is marketing and fundraising.

Maine definitely needs to be better at both.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm

dunbar wrote:One cannot make a valid comparison between being an AD at Bapst nearly 20 years ago to working in a Division I athletic department.

90% of heading a D-I athletic program is marketing and fundraising. It’s a political role, like many higher-ups in higher education.

"dunbar": I was referring to the burn out post to basketball_guy.

If 90% of heading a D-1 athletic program is marketing and fundraising why not just hire a Maine politician or a former Maine politician, seeing that the remaining 10% is done by the many D-1 assistants to the AD fundraiser and marketeer.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics