Athletic Director

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Athletic Director

Postby Waterboy61 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 pm

bcbc55 wrote:If UMaine is not going to hire a college AD then they should hire someone from the current UMaine Athletic Department as AD. They would know the program far better and probably not use the job as a stepping stone.

When was the last hire in the athletic department (or any other supervisery position) head coaches or Athletic Director that were hired actually held a D-1 job as a head coach or s a D-1 athletic director??????

Any current UMaine assistant AD would be a much better hire then anyone from outside without actual head AD experience as they would know the program, facilities, budgeting and staff and could immediately move forward with their knowledge and ability.

Loyalty is very important. Always better to look from within first before looking outside as you know the person from within and they know UMaine and the state of Maine.

Just did it in hiring the new men's UMaine basketball position and the AD job is more important then the coaching position.

As an administrator in Athletics and physical education I always looked inside first and tried to hire from within as I knew who and what I was getting and I liked to reward loyalty.

Right on Bob. They gave no backing to Jim Settle. It is obvious they did not support Lynn Coutts or Seth Woodcock
as they are on the search committee. Will Biberstein and Jack Cosgrove moved on so it is obvious they are out. At one time somebody had suggested Richard Barron, but he has taken on the task of MBSK. I guess it looks like it is going to be somebody on the outside. Maybe the AD at Husson wants to drive up I-95 and take over. It seems to me he applied at UM once.
Waterboy61

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm

bcbc55 wrote:Any current UMaine assistant AD would be a much better hire then anyone from outside without actual head AD experience as they would know the program, facilities, budgeting and staff and could immediately move forward with their knowledge and ability.

As an administrator in Athletics and physical education I always looked inside first and tried to hire from within as I knew who and what I was getting and I liked to reward loyalty.

A couple things. First, an Associate AD from a big time school would be better than any internal hire Maine could pull off.
Second, loyalty in sports gets you nowhere. You are using examples of high school from 40 years ago. It's apples and oranges. Maine needs someone who can recognize the challenges and have some experience to draw from to address those challenges in a successful manner. UMaine is a Division I University, not a Class D high school.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:Any current UMaine assistant AD would be a much better hire then anyone from outside without actual head AD experience as they would know the program, facilities, budgeting and staff and could immediately move forward with their knowledge and ability.

A couple things. First, an Associate AD from a big time school would be better than any internal hire Maine could pull off.
Second, loyalty in sports gets you nowhere. You are using examples of high school from 40 years ago. It's apples and oranges. Maine needs someone who can recognize the challenges and have some experience to draw from to address those challenges in a successful manner. UMaine is a Division I University, not a Class D high school.

"thebam": Only been 18 years since I was an AD and it was at an A school and a B school.

We can agree to disagree. I believe an associate or assistant to the AD at UMaine would be better fit and could get more done than an assistant or associate AD from another D-1 school, who will probably just use the position as a career stepping stone as has the past few AD's from out-of-state have done.

Interesting that in the UMaine athletic department that the current softball, football, baseball, men's and women's basketball coaches all were appointed from within the past few years and that the only outside appointment during that time was let go after 4 losing seasons.

If it is good enough for the head coaching positions it should be good enough for the AD position as there are certainly in house assistant AD's that are more than qualified for the position, plus they will stay and they are way ahead of any outsider that comes in in regards to the athletic program, staff, funding, budgeting and facilities.

Just "different AD strokes for different AD folks".
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm

I would have loved to see Jack Cosgrove back aa UMAINE AD but I guess that is never what he really wanted but I agree with BAM about the Revenue side of athletics. I think they need an AD who was worked with revenue requirements of a Division 1 football program. Some changes need to be made on the revenue side for the football program. They need to think long and hard about where they want to be 10 years from now and how they intend to get there as well.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I would have loved to see Jack Cosgrove back aa UMAINE AD but I guess that is never what he really wanted but I agree with BAM about the Revenue side of athletics. I think they need an AD who was worked with revenue requirements of a Division 1 football program. Some changes need to be made on the revenue side for the football program. They need to think long and hard about where they want to be 10 years from now and how they intend to get there as well.

"basketball_guy": Maybe Maine should do what Vermont has done and drop football or baseball. Vermont dropped both and look where there basketball is in the America East Conference in men's basketball.

If it was me I would drop baseball as our springs are not conducive weather wise and does not draw well. In fact, they didn't even charge for games this year during the regular season home games.

Maine probably will never ever get back to the college world series as they do not have just regional tournaments as they did when Maine was going to the College World Series as only teams from the Northeast where in that regional tournament. St. John's and Seton Hall and Maine were the tough draws then. There were not any teams from other areas in the country then like there is now.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 am

I still believe that Maine should replace Women’s Hockry with Women’s Lacrosse and then add some scholarships to soccer, field hockey, and softball. It’s unfortunate that the WIH program finally has reached a competitive pedestal, but I always question the financial stability of that program.

Maine also needs to raise the athletic/activity fee for all students. That’s an untapped income base that many successful FCS football programs rely on for funding.

For example, see Madison, James.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:22 am

Playing 2 annual FBS games AND only 4 home games is not conducive to having a competitive FCS football program. The Maine football program will start losing season ticket holders with schedules like this. I'm actually on the fence about whether I am renewing mine for the 2018 season.
mainejeff

Postby Waterboy61 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 am

mainejeff wrote:Playing 2 annual FBS games AND only 4 home games is not conducive to having a competitive FCS football program. The Maine football program will start losing season ticket holders with schedules like this. I'm actually on the fence about whether I am renewing mine for the 2018 season.

I would agree mainejeff. It would be one thing if the program got to keep and use all the dollars earned but they do not. It goes to the whole department to cover the hole that is developed in their yearly budget. I also realize football does a great job of sucking the life out of the department as far the funds. Like Bob said dropping football would really help the others in the long run.

This years schedule leads to no interest. Look for empty stands and parking lots, especially if they have a sub 500 results.

dunbar, not to nit pick your comments but I think you will find that soccer is fully funded already and possibly FH. I probably am making a statement that I am not 100% sure that is complete accurate but with Soccer I think you can take that to the bank. Of course each program could use a bigger operating budget.
Waterboy61

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 am

I would love the see the #'s for each sport as far as expenses and revenues generated for each.
Waterboy, when you say soccer and FH are fully funded what does that exactly mean? Is there any revenues generated for those programs?

As far as the football program goes although we have been playing two FBS schools for at least 5 yrs and although not ideal it certainly does hurt our chances in the playoffs but probably needs to be done on the revenue side to keep the program afloat. What really is somewhat upsetting this year was only 4 home games yet charging season ticket holders the same rate as when it was a 5 game schedule. :(
I don't see attendance dropping though as it is at all time high this past year. It still is a very elite level of competition and the idea of Maine dropping it would be a huge mistake.
Although we could have homecomimg for a soccer game and field hockey together, alumni would love that :lol:
fafan

Postby Waterboy61 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

[quote="fafan"]I would love the see the #'s for each sport as far as expenses and revenues generated for each.
Waterboy, when you say soccer and FH are fully funded what does that exactly mean? Is there any revenues generated for those programs?

When I say fully funded, it relates to scholarships. I would guess the only revenue they see is from what fundraising each teams might do. There again I am not sure those type of funds would be called revenue.
-
Field Hockey can award a total of 12 and soccer can award a total 14. Football can award 63. Any of those can be split up to award more kids some $$$.
Waterboy61

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics