[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Athletic Director

Athletic Director

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Athletic Director

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 am

Has there been any discussion on getting a new AD now that UMAINE has a new President or have they decided to shelve that idea and stick with the INTERIM GUY????
basketball_guy

Re: Athletic Director

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:34 am

Guess they decided to stick with Interim Guy who has no Experience then....

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/23/ ... -director/
basketball_guy

Postby dunbar » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 am

He’s still the interim. Reread the article.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 am

+1 dunbar.
mainejeff

Postby Waterboy61 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 am

Jim Settle will not be Maine's next AD. Unfortunately being a Interim is the kiss of death in most cases. Some may think he was not going to be a good choice but that is not totally true. He would have brought the department somebody that had a clue how the University ran things. He had a clue about the financial ways of the University as well. The other thing, he was not hung up on the salary as he was set from his military career. He most likely would have stayed as long as he could as he wasn't looking to move up the chain of AD's. Another words it was not a stepping stone. Yes he was green on the athletic side of things but he was very capable of learning. Any head has great people behind him to make him or her look great anyways.
Waterboy61

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 am

I don't think a Division I Athletic Director at a school, whose athletic department is in financial distress most of the time, is someone who should be learning on the job.
thebam

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 am

They ought to go back to one of the previous candidates from the last go-around and get Scott Kull from USF to reapply. Experience with multiple big-time programs, and numerous facets of the job. In it for the long haul. Problem solved.
Birdman

Postby Waterboy61 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 am

thebam wrote:I don't think a Division I Athletic Director at a school, whose athletic department is in financial distress most of the time, is someone who should be learning on the job.

That might be correct but the issue is Maine is a Div 1 Department only by a title. They are far from a Div 1 school as they do not have enough money and never will. Without more backing from the State like UNH gets Maine never will be. I hate to see sports cut but it is time for someone to make so really hard decisions. So hopefully the next guy can do that.
Waterboy61

Postby thebam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am

... or figure out a comprehensive plan to increase revenue ( more attendance) so those type of decisions don't need to be made.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 pm

If UMaine is not going to hire a college AD then they should hire someone from the current UMaine Athletic Department as AD. They would know the program far better and probably not use the job as a stepping stone.

When was the last hire in the athletic department (or any other supervisery position) head coaches or Athletic Director that were hired actually held a D-1 job as a head coach or s a D-1 athletic director??????

Any current UMaine assistant AD would be a much better hire then anyone from outside without actual head AD experience as they would know the program, facilities, budgeting and staff and could immediately move forward with their knowledge and ability.

Loyalty is very important. Always better to look from within first before looking outside as you know the person from within and they know UMaine and the state of Maine.

Just did it in hiring the new men's UMaine basketball position and the AD job is more important then the coaching position.

As an administrator in Athletics and physical education I always looked inside first and tried to hire from within as I knew who and what I was getting and I liked to reward loyalty.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics