Latest UMaine Women's basketball international transfer

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Latest UMaine Women's basketball international transfer

Postby bcbc55 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Alex Bolozova, a 6'2" junior international (Solovakia) forward was announced on goblackbears.com womens basketball site today that she is transferring from Murray State College in Oklahoma a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (the same conference that Maine's Nick Mayo's Eastern Kentucky is in) a D-1 school and then lists the school as a JUCO college Murray State JUCO College in the announcement. A little confusing.

Looked her up on the D-1 Murray State College D-1 Razorbacks and could not find her on the 2017-18 roster or stats sheet. Could not find Murray State Junior College on the internet. Hope it is from the JUCO as she would be eligible immediately other wise if it is D-1 Murray State then she would have to sit out a year.

From what found on line suspect the school is probably a JUCO College. and if she is a junior as listed then she would only have 1 year left if she has played 3 previous years at the JUCO school so she can play right away.

If all players are on the UMaine women's roster are on scholarship then Maine has one scholarship left as they are allowed 15 scholarships and adding Alex B. makes it 14.
bcbc55

Re: Latest UMaine Women's basketball international transfer

Postby turkeyman » Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Cim,

No, no, no. It's Murray State Junior College in Tishimingo, Okla., NOT Murray State in Kentucky and the OVC. That's why she can play this year at Maine, after two years at a juco.

Murray State Junior College is named after a former governor. It is a state school with about 2,200 students and a branch campus at Ardmore. Tishimingo is in south-central Oklahoma, not too far -- some of us who are Oklahoma partisans would say not far enough -- from Texas.

Looks like fairly good stats for her. Likely a project if she didn't go Div. I after her first year in juco. But I have been some impressed with the work Maine's coaches have done with bigs lately. She'll have two years of eligibility. I like that she likes to get physical. Maine has always needed more kids who can throw their weight around.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:55 pm

turkeyman wrote:Cim,

No, no, no. It's Murray State Junior College in Tishimingo, Okla., NOT Murray State in Kentucky and the OVC. That's why she can play this year at Maine, after two years ate a juco.

Murray State Junior College is named after a former governor. It is a state school with about 2,200 students and a branch campus at Ardmore. Tishimingo is in south-central Oklahoma, not too far -- some of us who are Oklahoma partisans would say not far enough -- from Texas.

Looks like fairly good stats for her. Likely a project if she didn't go Div. I after her first year in juco. But I have been some impressed with the work Maine's coaches have done with bigs lately. She'll have two years of eligibility. I like that she likes to get physical. Maine has always needed more kids who can throw their weight around.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

"TM": I knew if anybody would know for sure it would be you Bob: Thanks for answering what I suspected it was. So she is only an incoming junior that is good and also that she is eligible right away and has good post up skills.

Thanks again.
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am

Just what this team needs is some more toughness under the basket :)

UMaine women’s basketball team signs junior college forward from Slovakia

University of Maine athletics | BDN
Alexandra Bolozova
May 22, 2018 4:49 pm
ORONO, Maine — The University of Maine women’s basketball team has once again signed an international player to its roster. This time, the Black Bears only had to go as far as the Midwest to find her.

Head coach Amy Vachon on Tuesday announced that Alexandra (Alex) Bolozova has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the program for the 2018-2019 season.

Bolozova is a 6-foot-2 forward from Poprad, Slovakia, who spent the last two seasons at Murray State College in Tishomingo, Oklahoma.

“Alex is a high character student-athlete who will fit in great with our team,” Vachon said in a news release. “She is a smart player who loves to be physical down low. She comes from a basketball family and is excited to join ours. We are excited for Alex to join us.”

Bolozova spent two seasons at Murray State College, where she appeared in 19 games last season with 15 starts, but had her season ended by an injury. She averaged 13 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 blocked shots.

In Slovakia, Bolozova attended national team camps in 2015-2016 and 2014-2015. She graduated high school with a 4.0 grade point average.

She helped guide Murray State to a regional tournament appearance in 2018 and a regional tournament semifinal appearance in 2017.

Bolozova is UMaine’s third signee for 2018-2019. She joins 5-11 guard Doga Alper of Istanbul, Turkey, and 5-8 point guard Rongomai Timson of Hamilton, New Zealand, as additions to the roster.

Bolozova should provide a bit of added experience to a UMaine frontcourt that includes junior starter Fanny Wadling (6.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg) and sophomores Maeve Carroll (1.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg), Kira Barra and Kat Williams.

The Black Bears lost a solid backup post player with the graduation of Kirsten Johnson (2.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg) and also had junior guard Julie Brosseau (11.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.2 assists per game) decide to transfer. She will attend Utah.

Bolozova’s participation at UMaine is contingent upon her acceptance by the university and compliance with NCAA initial eligibility guidelines.
fafan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics