Comparing HS & College Playoffs to NBA Playoffs format

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Comparing HS & College Playoffs to NBA Playoffs format

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Comparing High School and College One and done, win or go home single elimination post season playoffs to the NBA and MLB's best 4 of 7 series.

If interested just go to my "Off the Rim" Bangor Daily News BLOG @ Offtherim.bangordailynews.com
bcbc55

Re: Comparing HS & College Playoffs to NBA Playoffs format

Postby thebam » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

College hockey is 1 and done just like basketball is coach.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:16 pm

thebam wrote:College hockey is 1 and done just like basketball is coach.

"thebam": Thanks for that I will change it.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm

I have often wondered, how awesome would it be to watch a 64 team NCAA Basketball tournament using the exact same format as baseball.
16 Home sites with a 4 team double elimination format.
The following week
8 home sites .. Best 2 out of 3

The following week start a 10 day 8 team double elimination format tournament. 2 divisions of 4. Double elimination until only 2 remain ( winner of each division). Then a winner take all best of 3.

I think , to give a specific direct answer to your post, if you play 1 and done, you don't always get the best team as the champion. If you do a drawn out double elimination or best of 7, most of the time, not all, but most of the time the cream will rise to the top.
So, if you don't care about the best team winning ( 85 villanova, 82 NC STate, etc...) then a 1 and done is for you.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:23 pm

thebam wrote:I have often wondered, how awesome would it be to watch a 64 team NCAA Basketball tournament using the exact same format as baseball.
16 Home sites with a 4 team double elimination format.
The following week
8 home sites .. Best 2 out of 3

The following week start a 10 day 8 team double elimination format tournament. 2 divisions of 4. Double elimination until only 2 remain ( winner of each division). Then a winner take all best of 3.

I think , to give a specific direct answer to your post, if you play 1 and done, you don't always get the best team as the champion. If you do a drawn out double elimination or best of 7, most of the time, not all, but most of the time the cream will rise to the top.
So, if you don't care about the best team winning ( 85 villanova, 82 NC STate, etc...) then a 1 and done is for you.

"thebam": What a great, timely, relevant and innovative idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would certainly like to see that as I always liked to see the best team win, but like you stated in one and done the best teams many times do not win.

Tough to be an undefeated team in high school and go into the basketball tournament the number one regular season team here in Maine.

When it was 3 games in 3 days there were less upsets as lower seeded teams in the semi-finals and finals did not have any practice time to get ready for the high seeded target.

Now with the tournament in Eastern Maine at Bangor only has 1 situation where winners play back to back games and that is in Class C semi-finals on Friday and finals on Saturday of February vacation week.

When it as 3 games in 3 days in a row the 8th seeded team was the only team that had a chance to really prepare for number one in the quarter-finals.

At least playing 3 games in 3 days gave the number one team that advantage other than that there was no real advantage in being number one like it is today with days in between the quarter-finals and semi-finals and semi-finals and finals to get ready for the higher seeded teams.

I have been on both sides of that river being undefeated and number one and winning the tournament and also losing to the 8th seeded team in the quarter-finals.

Also, was the 8th seeded team and knocked off the number one undefeated team and also gotten beat by number one as the 8th seed.

The pressure of being number one seed and especially undefeated 18-0 puts you in a no win situation. If you win many will say, well you should have won after all you were undefeated and if you lose and get upset many will say what happened you were the number one team and should have won.

The elation of winning a tournament as the number one team is not as great as the grief is great when you get upset in the quarter-finals, semi-finals or finals, especially if you are undefeated.

Being number one and undefeated you are in a situation with nothing to gain and everything to lose and the lower seeded team has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

That is pressure and it is easier to upset a higher seeded team in a one and done situation then it is in a double elimination tourney of a best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 or 4 of 7.

In D-1 college basketball because they play so many games it is very seldom a team goes into the NCAA tourney undefeated.

Also, neutral high school and college fans usually root for the underdog, but then when the team that wins the tourney gets hammered in the state final or NCAA next game (UMBC over number 1 Virginia) they get beat. But, they have to remember that they wanted the upset and many times that is what happens when the best team doesn't represent you in the state final or NCAA next game. So fans should be careful what they wish for if they are rooting against the best team long as it isn't their home team.

I really like your idea for the NCAA D-1 March Madness.

The NCAA should consider it. They would have more games and make even more money with your suggested format.

ONLY TAKE 5 WEEKS W-Th-F-Sa-Sun:...Max.
.....Total.....................................Total
Wk Teams Sites............Format........ Games
.1.....64...16 of 4 teams..Double elim...16x7=112
.2.....32.....8 of 4 teams..Best 2 of 3.....8x3=24
.3.....16.....4 of 4 teams..Double elim...4x7=28
.4......8......2 of 4 teams..Double elim...2x7=14
.5......2.....1 of 2 teams..Best 2 of 3.....1x3=3
............................................total.181 games

GREAT THINKING AND INNOVATIVE. On a scale of 1 thru 10 with ten being he highest I would give your idea a NINE.................................TEEN.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics