america east wbb coaching changes

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

america east wbb coaching changes

Postby turkeyman » Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 pm

At least four of the nine coaching jobs in AE next fall will be held by new coaches. Five if you count Amy Vachon, but she was interim head coach for a season and a half, so she's hardly a new head coach.

Lowell fired Jennerie Harris and hired Tom Garrick, who had been an assistant at BC. Eric Johnson, BC coach, was canned at end of '17-'18 season and staff with him. He is the same Tom Garrick who starred for URI and played for the Clippers. Harris left a better team than she started with and had a really good point in freshman Paula Lopez, perhaps best rookie in league after Dor Saar.

UVM was "investigating" Chris Day for, basically, foul language when he quit a couple of weeks ago. He wound up at LaSalle as an assistant. Philly is home, so he's probably happy. He got tossed in the Maine game at Burlington in February for ragging on an official. I thought he was trying to fire up his team, which was playing pretty badly at the time. UVM fans told me he was usually pretty quiet on the bench, which is what I had observed in four previous games, but once in a while went off. In Maine game, he went off. Alisa Kresge, one of his assistants, has been named interim head coach. This may have happened too late for UVM to conduct a full search for this year, so expect Kresge to coach for the full season. She was at Marist before going to UVM with Day.

Joanna Bernabei-McNamee left Albany after only two years to take on the challenge at BC. Other posters have said BC isn't supporting any of its teams so well as it did in the past. Bernabei-McNamee took most of her Albany staff with her to Chestnut Hill. Colleen Mullen, associate head coach the past seven years at Army is moving upriver to take over at Albany.

On Monday, it will be announced that Linda Cimino is leaving Bingo after four years to take on head coach job at St. Francis of Brooklyn. She is a New Yorker, played at Adelphi, where Maine's Missy Traversi is now head coach. No one has been named interim head coach at Bingo. Unknown how much of her staff goes to Brooklyn with her. Going to St. Francis seems a lateral step at best for Cimino, unless she really misses NYC, but it may be a good time to leave Bingo. Team lost only two seniors, but they were Imani Watkins, PoY for America East -- I agree with everyone around here that Blanca Millan was really the PoY -- and Alyssa James, a really good defender and rebounder.

Interesting to me that two of these who bailed were only on the job for two years, Bernabei-McNamee and Day. Both faced rebuilding jobs, but Albany is starting at a far higher level from which to rebuild. UVM is a sad shadow of what it was 15 years ago in wbb. UML and UVM are rebuilding from a very low level while Albany and Bingo are rebuilding from second and third in AE.

Among the returning coaches, Phil Stern lost his top scorer at UMBC but not much more. Retrievers weren't very good last year and I had a hard time assessing their talent level. No one played well in either of the games I saw. Kim McNeil at Hartford will be a contender again. Remember that after Maine and Albany, conference was packed in from three to six (Bingo, SBU, UNH, Hartford) with little to choose among them. And, Hartford took Albany out in AE tournament. After Maine, the Hartford program is my favorite in AE. Always competitive, decent kids, really strong and decent fans, nice building in which to play. Caroline McCombs at Stony Brook doesn't really have to rebuild. She loses only Aaliyah Worley, who was less a factor in her senior year than I had expected. Maureen Magarity at UNH has to rebuild top to bottom. Loses seven seniors, four of them starters. Some good kids coming back, especially the freshman Amanda Torres.

Amy had only two losses, KJ, who graduated, and Julie Brosseau who is going to Utah. (Anyone know why she bailed? That surprised me, as I talked often with her and her parents and had no hint that she had any motivation to leave.) She had a tough last few games but hit some key shots in the come-from-behind OT victory over Albany that gave Maine the regular-season title. Much as she improved and contributed, Brosseau may be the easiest to replace from the current roster. If Maine can come up with one more big this summer and with the improvement in Kira Barra's game, Maine may be better in the post than most expect. Keep in mind that on her national team, Barra plays guard, so learning post play may be taking some time. The way post play came along last year, I would say Maine has some really good coaching of the bigs. Look at Fanny and KJ to see how much they improved over the year. Not to mention moving Tanesha to the post. Tanesha and Parise, by the way, both graduated and plan to play their graduate years at Maine.

Seems it will be difficult for the coaches to pick Maine to finish six again. Wonder how many of them won't pick Maine to finish first.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Re: america east wbb coaching changes

Postby mainejeff » Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Maine still has some scholarships to fill for 2018-2019 if they choose to....they are actively recruiting a slew of international players right now.
mainejeff

Postby turkeyman » Sun May 20, 2018 12:04 am

MJ, the pattern at least since Barron came has been to leave one scholarship as a hold card. That may be how they got Bella Swan after her juco years. She was a very late signer in 2014, in August if I remember correctly.

If all 13 on the roster, including Doga Alper (Turkey) and Rongomai Timson (New Zealand), are on athletic scholarships, two scholarships would be available. If Maine holds back one, then only one would be available. I don't know how the NCAA handles graduate players insofar as scholarships goes. Virtually all grad students get heavy financial aid. (No way I could have gone to Vandy for grad school without a full boat, which generally went with acceptance to the graduate school.)

Didn't hoopscribe -- now there's a name out of the past -- post on here a couple of years ago that academic scholarships, such as the Mitchell scholarships that go to all valedictorians in Maine, are counted as athletic scholarships by the NCAA? If that's the case and also applies to graduate scholarships, then Maine would have only the one (plus the hold card) available for '18-'19. But maybe it wasn't true. I remember that when Andrea Pardilla went to UMaine from Old Town HS it was reported that she would be on a scholarship provided to all Penobscots. And didn't Kristin Baker go through on a Mitchell scholarship as valedictorian from Valley HS?

Anyone know what counts and what doesn't as a scholarship?

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby fafan » Sun May 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Bob,
Believe one of the main reasons for Julie's departure to the Utah Utes would be Mauraine Corbin where the two them played on the National Championship team Montmorency (CEGEP) of Quebc. Seeing her leave certainly stings but feel we have shooters that can step up and take her place, hopefully ;) .
fafan

Postby CoachA » Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Bob, I believe that you get four years of athletic scholarship and academic scholarships do not count towards that number. Parise did not play one year so I'm guessing her first year of grad school will be on the 4th year athletic scholarship. Pretty sure she will have to pay for her second year of grad school. Tanisha was a transfer from Duquesne so she sat a year at Maine but I believe she has had all 4 years on scholarship.
CoachA

Postby turkeyman » Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm

FAFan,
Yeah, I saw Corbin's name on the Utes' roster and wondered if that was a connection. Utah has another Canadian who transferred from Clemson, but she is from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, so likely not a close friend of
Brosseau. I'm a bit baffled, though, that Brosseau waited a year. Corbin was at Utah last year, so Brosseau coud have transferred after her freshman year at Maine and then played three years with Corbin rather than two. And
Brosseau was not a starter after her freshman year, not a member of a championship team. Corbin's bio does not say whether she played on l'Equipe Quebec team that was together all of last summer and finished second (to France) in the world Francophone games last summer. They may have bonded then, if they were teammates on that team. Brosseau was on the road basically all of the summer of '17 with l'Equipe Quebec.

Coach A,
I know about the eligibility standards for grad students, transfers, sit-outs, etc. I was asking whether anyone knew how the scholarships are classified for grad students. Since almost all grad students have academic aid, are their scholarships classified as academic or athletic? It could make a difference in the number of scholarships that UMaine has available for late signers this year.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby CoachA » Mon May 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Bob....I believe the only thing that can be counted as an athletic scholarship is an athletic scholarship. Academic scholarships do not count against a team for athletics. I also believe you attain athletic scholarship for 4 years of academics only.
CoachA

Postby turkeyman » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks, Coach A.

That is how it seems to me it ought to be, but then we are dealing with the NCAA. I wondered
about the statement when hoopscribe wrote it a couple of years ago that all scholarships to Div.
I athletes count as athletic. That would seem to penalize a school because it had athletes who
could qualify for other types of scholarship (National Merit, George Mitchell, etc.).

So, if either Tanesha or Parise is using an academic scholarship to finance her first year in
grad school (and final year of eligibility), then Coach Vachon would have three or four
scholarships available for 2018-'19.

Thanks, again.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby ScoopsMinihane » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 am

Per sources Bob Walsh is NOT a candidate for the BING women's job.
ScoopsMinihane

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics