Edniesha Curry to instill confidence in Maine Men's Team

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Edniesha Curry to instill confidence in Maine Men's Team

Postby bcbc55 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 am

augie wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:The pressure is all on Coach Richard Barron, none on Coach Curry, as Barron was hired as the only men's head coach with no men's D-1 coaching experience of the 351 men's D-1 teams and coming directly from a D-1 womens head coaching position even though it is at the same school.

Barron then hired Curry after hiring Kevin Reed first, Curry 2nd and the Lee Prep Coach third, seeing that no other of the 351 D-1 men's teams have a women as an assistant coach at the present time.

Two different things, but it is unique as the Maine men's program is the only one of the 351 teams to have either let alone both together on the same team.

I disagree that if you can coach you can coach anyone. Girls are more coachable then boys and so are women players more coachable then men's players and the two games are not the same. The men's game is more athletic and physical and the men usually play the game using their athleticism more then the women who play the game more from the shoulders up then from the shoulders down as men have a tendency to do.

I have taught shooting lessons and run shooting camps to both boys and girls and I can tell you that girls are more coachable at all grade levels and try harder to please a coach then boys usually do. Girls usually improved more then the boys did in these shooting lessons.

It is harder to go from women's and girls to men and boys to coach than it is from men's and boys to women's and girls.

I do have 4 questions. Which one of the 3 assistant coaches Barron hired is the number 1 assistant, who is number 2 and who is number 3??? Or are they all the same with no order and each the same pay wise?

Sexist much?

and who the freak cares who the number one asst is???

Demeanor???? Thanks for checking in Uncle Leo.

augie: No no sexist, just reverse sexism.

Just stating 2 facts that's all. Only 2 coaches in the country out of 351 men's teams is a fact.

The assistants might care as they do pay by the numbers, unless of course, they don't care and that they might be dividing the total assistant salaries evenly by 3 if they are all equal and have the same responsibilities.

Your welcome from Uncle Leo!
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Sun May 06, 2018 8:30 am

I don't doubt her knowledge of the game or whether or not she can coach. I am concerned how the players will respond to her. Some may feel like she's nagging rather than coaching. I wonder if it could also affect potential recruits perception of the program. Definitely a risky gamble going this route.
mario_spaghettio

Postby CoachA » Sun May 06, 2018 9:10 am

Nagging??? Wow....cavemen really do still exist. Ego??
CoachA

Postby turkeyman » Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 am

Mario_Spaghettio:

Didn't I just hear your mommy call you to come up from the basement for supper? Time to leave the keyboard.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby CoachA » Sun May 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Trust me...this UMaine men's team will not only become better basketball players with this UMaine men's staff..they will become better people. They will not only learn the X's and 0"s, they will also learn integrity, excellence, character, and how to be better teammates. Not so sure this team has been taught all that in awhile. This will be a team within the next couple of years that the state of Maine can be proud of...if not sooner.
CoachA

Postby mario_spaghettio » Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Maybe there's a reason no other D1 men's team has a woman on the staff as an assisstant coach? I guess Maine knows more about building a winning program than Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Villanova. :roll:
mario_spaghettio

Postby bcbc55 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm

mario_spaghettio wrote:Maybe there's a reason no other D1 men's team has a woman on the staff as an assisstant coach? I guess Maine knows more about building a winning program than Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Villanova. :roll:

"mario spaghettio":

You are correct. UMaine men is not Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky or Villanova men's basketball success wise about building a winning men's program.

They certainly do have something that those 4 powerhouses don't have and neither do the other 346 other D-1 men's teams......Which is 1 coach that knew how to turn around the Maine & Princeton's women's D-1 basketball programs and a 1 coach that helped Coach Barron do it at Maine.

The UMaine powers to be must think that Coach Richard Barron can do what the men haven't been able to do the past 8 seasons and have a winning season maybe between the 1st and 3rd years of his 5 year contract.

So, what is that old saying? "Some publicity is better than no publicity at all". Nothing would be made of the hirings of another all men's coaching staff. After all 1 of 351 is just .003%.

I for one wish them all the best and luck in the world. Barron has started out positively for many Maine fans by hiring all 4 of his staff having coached in Maine and has recruited 4 players (Moss, Darwich, Prijovic, Ingo) that have played basketball in Maine along with returnees that had played in Maine prior to playing at Maine (Fleming, Ilija S., Dusan M., and Antoms) which certainly gives this team a Maine flavor to support.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby CoachA » Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Shows how much you know, MarioSpaghettio...University of Kentucky men's team had a female assistant for a few years...her name was Bernette Maddox. There is a female assistant right now with the San Antonio Spurs. That must REALLY bother you....hmmm a successful NBA team with a female assistant. Disgusting. :)
CoachA

Postby bcbc55 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 pm

CoachA wrote:Trust me...this UMaine men's team will not only become better basketball players with this UMaine men's staff..they will become better people. They will not only learn the X's and 0"s, they will also learn integrity, excellence, character, and how to be better teammates. Not so sure this team has been taught all that in awhile. This will be a team within the next couple of years that the state of Maine can be proud of...if not sooner.

"CoachA": I am rooting that you are 100 percent correct In your post above. I am like the man from Missouri the "Show me state", SHOW ME.

Biggest problems to overcome are as follows from what I have observed the past 4 seasons.

1. Too many players being used double figure minutes
2. Living and dying by the 3 point shot
3. number 2 because there was not an effective inside game or an effective inside-outside game to better open catch and shoot 3's which forced a couple of players to play out-of-position in the post instead of playing facing the basket as they are built for
4. Not enough dribble penetration and kick out game to get better open catch and shoot 3's
5. Not recruiting a BIG 6'10" 245lbs or bigger to take care of 2 and 3 above.
6. Players being allowed to determine who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from and not the offensive system

Right now with all the scholarships being used there is not a
BIG I MENTIONED ABOVE IN 5. Hope that either Eze, Antoms of one of the new recruits can become an offensive threat on the block to help take care of 2 and 3 above. It really falls on either Eze or Antoms as they are the only roster players that are truly back-to-the-basket players.

If Barron can do with the men's program what he did with the Maine women's program and turn the program around from 24-100 for the men and 24-94 for the Maine women by the third season or earlier then that should make Maine fans really happy and supportive. Only time and patience will tell the story.

Like the recruiting of international players as they seem to be more fundamentally sound, more coachable, play more from the shoulders up and more experienced as they have had it a lot tougher in their basketball careers then many players here in the states do.

By far more pluses then minuses so far by Barron by hiring 4 coaches who have coaching experience here in Maine and 4 new recruits that have played high school or basketball prep school basketball here in Maine to go along with the 4
returning players who have played basketball in Maine before coming to play at UMaine. Like that Maine basketball coaching experience and Maine basketball playing experience.

Half of the roster are 8 players who have either played Maine high school or prep school basketball and the entire 5 member coaching staff has coached here in Maine at some point in their careers.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby augie » Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Anytime someone makes a statement and than says “but” or “however” that previous statement from them has zero truth.

You are not routing any % that it’s true.
augie

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics