Have any of the departed Men's BB staff found jobs

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Have any of the departed Men's BB staff have found jo

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Linguist has my vote. 3 summers ago I was at my camp on China Lake. My niece arrived with her boyfriend, Vincent Eze. He stayed father's Day weekend. Went to breakfast with my daughters and boat trip around China Lake. My entire family hugged him good bye. I sent email to the Asst. Coach with a pic stating if this represented the character of the kids they are recruiting, I thought success lied ahead. 20 minutes later the asst. coach emailed me back with a thank you. Two hours later Coach Walsh sent a very long letter saying my email was first read at coaches morning huddle and to the players that day at practice.

His message was they should never lose sight of these young kids role in the public and that they represent the best of UMO as a person. I continue to see Vincent at family functions and stayed in touch with Coach Walsh. He was not successful on many afronts and I find this last posting saying exactly as Linguist interpreted. Coach Walsh will get another shot. His accomplishments at RIC still have merit. At UMO, nothing, except a better understanding of D1 vs. D3.
ExpoEddie

Postby dunbar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:41 am

ExpoEddie wrote:At UMO, nothing, except a better understanding of D1 vs. D3.

Where?
dunbar

Postby ExpoEddie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Recruitment. He clearly did not adjust to D1 recruits vs. D3 where some players who can play come to your D3 for academics, location. D1 often go to where they think they will play right away, no other offers and have visions of playing professionally. He did not recruit players who would buy what he was selling. The flipside is Barron recruited out of country players who bought his system. Says a lot on his ability to recruit.

Jeff Cross, Rick Carlisle and Paul Whooley always come to mind that UMO found great players that no one else saw.
ExpoEddie

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:28 pm

He did well in Rhode Island. Perhaps I was wrong about him in regards to Division 3 basketball but I am afraid he was just in over his head at UMAINE.

Best to look forward now, not back...
basketball_guy

Postby cantdothat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:26 am

cantdothat

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:39 am

Good for him. If you do not learn from the past, you are likely to repeat.
ExpoEddie

Postby Linguist » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51 am

The NCAA Dead period starts Friday, which means recruiting "stops" for college basketball teams. I am guessing if Bob Walsh or others will be added to staffs it has to be done before recruiting and contact can resume if they are going to get a job for the 2018-19 season.

Does that make sense?
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Linguist wrote:The NCAA Dead period starts Friday, which means recruiting "stops" for college basketball teams. I am guessing if Bob Walsh or others will be added to staffs it has to be done before recruiting and contact can resume if they are going to get a job for the 2018-19 season.

Does that make sense?

"Linguist": Makes sense, Bob Simon was hired as an assistant at Maine in mid-September last year, but he wasn't hired as a head coach. So you must mean pertaining to head coach hirings.

Have you heard anything about the UMaine men going on a summer trip to Costa Rica in August?

They can go on such a trip every 4 years and this is their turn.

Rumors have it that they get 10 days of practice before going and then can play up to 5 games on the trip.

Great timing with a complete new staff and 7 new recruits. Extra 2 weeks will be very beneficial to all involved.

Surprised that there has been no official announcement yet if they are going on such a trip.

Good publicity if made official.
bcbc55

Postby BearDown » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Can we please edit the title of this thread? It's maddening.
BearDown

Postby thebam » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

BearDown wrote:Can we please edit the title of this thread? It's maddening.

joined today. this is your first post.. but the title is maddening. good try.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics