America East Conference women's BB ty site changed

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: America East Conference women's BB ty site changed

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:53 pm

turkeyman wrote:This may solve a problem for America East. Geography makes equity difficult. If the pattern were to continue of putting the first two rounds in a different spot every few years, AE would often face a travel issue. For example, UMBC has a new arena. If AE went there next year, it would mean long travel for Maine, UNH, UVM, Lowell and Albany. When Bingo built a new arena, AE went there for two years, and travel from Maine, UNH and UVM was difficult. Portland presented a similar situation for UMBC, Bingo, Stony Brook.

You cannot beat the atmosphere of a tournament, though, especially in a place where people turn out, both fans of the teams and people who don't have a dog in the fight. Attendance at Portland, Hartford and in the old days at UVM was always strong. Makes the house rock. The one time tournament was in the Alfond was similar. A single site always is better if the host is a contender, which it was not at Bingo but was at Hartford, Portland and UVM.

If AE continues with a play-in-game, the tourney would take eight days, if it also insisted on a day off between games for every team. PiG could be on a Monday, which would probably mean no Sunday season-enders as we had this year with Maine-Albany and one or two others. Then, round of eight on Wednesday, semis on Friday and championship on Sunday. Of course, ESPN would have to agree to that, and it seems to like the AE game late on Friday afternoon.

It is possible that AE could move the tourney dates and still finish on a Friday afternoon. AE is among the first dozen or so conferences to finish its tournament. Ivy League, for example, was still playing regular-season games while AE teams were in Portland this March. So, AE could finish regular season on the last Sunday in February (most years), then hold PiG on Friday or Saturday, round of eight on Monday, semis on Wednesday and championship on the Friday before announcement of NCAA seedings and hosts.

Higher-seed hosting may well mean some dismal crowds. If it had happened this year, UNH would have hosted Hartford. Even in a tournament, UNH is lucky to draw as many fans as it does band players and cheerleaders. Tournament play ought to draw more people, but nothing draws people to Durham, as the past three years of really good teams proved. And the 1/8, 2/7 games might not draw really well even when the 1 and 2 are teams that usually draw well, such as Maine and Hartford. Many fans might not want to go to a game every other night for nearly a week, so they avoid the first-round game.

A bit of a gamble for AE, which didn't seem to put a ton of resources into the one-site tournament for the first two rounds, but as several other posters have noted, probably pretty good for Maine for the next few years at least.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

"turkeyman": BDN article said that there will be no 8-9 play in game just like the men's format this past season.

9th place team does not participate. Too bad to eliminate just one team. But will make it easier to run the tourney with 1 less game and day.
bcbc55

Postby turkeyman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:27 am

Cim,

I missed that. So, they could do it in five days then (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) if season ended on Sunday or keep to the Friday championship by ending regular season on Saturday, then playing tourney on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Bet they go with the latter and keep ESPN happy.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby thebam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 am

bcbc55 wrote:
"turkeyman": BDN article said that there will be no 8-9 play in game just like the men's format this past season.

9th place team does not participate. Too bad to eliminate just one team. But will make it easier to run the tourney with 1 less game and day.

OK, I'll bite. Why is it bad to eliminate 1 team, 1 bad team?
thebam

Postby dunbar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am

Realistically, you need at least two days in-between games, one day for normal prep, and one day for travel. I foresee a Saturday-Tuesday-Friday format to maintain the agreement with the worldwide leader. The men will probably run Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday.
dunbar

Postby CoachA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Never been a fan of any play-in game. It's too much like "giving everyone a trophy". If you're not competitive enough during conference season, which should be part of the goal for the year, then you don't deserve to be in any kind of play-off. Personally I'd like to see a battle during the season for the top four seeds for tournament. Now that would make it interesting and the teams that would make it would deserve to be there! Would love to see less rewarding of mediocrity and more rewarding of excellence. Just a thought.
CoachA

Postby hoopsisme » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Big east, etc play consecutive days. My guess is that the espn championship game will be espns call
hoopsisme

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:36 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Why is it bad to eliminate 1 team, 1 bad team?

"thebam": Nothing to bite at. Just my opinion. Either eliminate 5 and go with a 4 team tourney or let all 9 in.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 pm

CoachA wrote:Never been a fan of any play-in game. It's too much like "giving everyone a trophy". If you're not competitive enough during conference season, which should be part of the goal for the year, then you don't deserve to be in any kind of play-off. Personally I'd like to see a battle during the season for the top four seeds for tournament. Now that would make it interesting and the teams that would make it would deserve to be there! Would love to see less rewarding of mediocrity and more rewarding of excellence. Just a thought.

"coachA": I agree 4 team or if not 4 then all get in.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Big east, etc play consecutive days. My guess is that the espn championship game will be espns call

"hoopsisme": Agree, espn will determine the women's championship game just like it does the men's championship game date and time, which will determine how AE sets up the QF's and SF's for both.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

Shamrock Entertainment sponsored the tourney last two years and lost big time. I believe the cost was $40k to host at Cross Arena. Was some talk about moving it to the Expo for $18k. That would of been very nice. Either the Red Claws schedule or no sponsorship takers made them revert back.
ExpoEddie

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics