America East Conference women's BB ty site changed

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: America East Conference women's BB ty site changed

Postby dunbar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

A unionized building such as the ex-CCCC priced out yet another event for Portland? Color me shocked. :roll:
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Shamrock Entertainment sponsored the tourney last two years and lost big time. I believe the cost was $40k to host at Cross Arena. Was some talk about moving it to the Expo for $18k. That would of been very nice. Either the Red Claws schedule or no sponsorship takers made them revert back.

"ExpoEddie": As I have said before, just can't beat your namesake, now that the Old Bangor Auditorium is gone, the EXPO is the best place to play and watch basketball atmosphere wise now in my opinion and still seat a good size crowd. Like the two ends seating which encloses the court.

Gone are the days of the 3 day tournaments here in Maine at any level except for AAU type tournies.

Now that is a real tournament 3 games in 3 days at a neutral site.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Old dogs like us bcbc55 miss the "Christmas" Tourney's that played for a champion too. While partial to the one at the Expo, there were many other wonderful venues before MPA had to schedule games during this break.

Was with my dad and uncle at Bangor when Mike Thurston threw in his shot from half court to beat Westbrook at the Bangor Auditorium. Many folks not aware that design was because its original intent was to be a hockey venue.
ExpoEddie

Postby dunbar » Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 am

Just a random thought on this subject:

There should be no conflicts with potential America East tournament games and the Class C and D state championships as the college basketball season reverts back in the scheduling rotation next year. NCAA tournament games start March 21/22, meaning that most conference tournament games will start the weekend of March 9/10. The earliest there will be a conflict would be 2022, assuming the MPA doesn’t change anything more.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Fri May 11, 2018 10:08 am

"ExpoEddie": As I have said before, just can't beat your namesake, now that the Old Bangor Auditorium is gone, the EXPO is the best place to play and watch basketball atmosphere wise now in my opinion and still seat a good size crowd. Like the two ends seating which encloses the court.

Gone are the days of the 3 day tournaments here in Maine at any level except for AAU type tournies.

Now that is a real tournament 3 games in 3 days at a neutral site.[/quote]
How many games have you attended at the new Cross Insurance Center in Bangor?
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm

thebam wrote:"ExpoEddie": As I have said before, just can't beat your namesake, now that the Old Bangor Auditorium is gone, the EXPO is the best place to play and watch basketball atmosphere wise now in my opinion and still seat a good size crowd. Like the two ends seating which encloses the court.

Now that is a real tournament 3 games in 3 days at a neutral site.

How many games have you attended at the new Cross Insurance Center in Bangor?[/quote]

"thebam": Your post above is just like mine above of April 16th. We are definitely on the very same page.

Since the Cross Insurance Center opened in Bangor 5 years ago I believe in 2013 I have not seen a high school game of any type regular season or tournament.

Have seen the Harlem Globetrotters game which was the first basketball game ever played in the BANGOR CIC.

Have seen a few UMaine games there but after watching the Globetrotters game I was turned off as there is no basketball atmosphere there at all. Just a sterile building.

Portland Expo best site atmosphere wise and the UMaine's the "Pit" the next best for atmosphere for an old basketball timer. Wish Maine still played their home games there today.

February Vacation week's 3 day tournaments. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday L and S Boys and Thursday, Friday, Saturday LL and M. No girls basketball then. Not too many upsets then after the quarter-finals as there was no break time between games to prepare for the high seeded teams.

I can remember when the S and M tournaments in Eastern Maine were held at the old, old yellow Bangor Auditorium prior to 1956 when the Old Bangor Auditorium was ready and the L tourney was at the "Pit" at Maine. Only 3 classes back then. Before they played the M and S tourney at the Bangor Yellow painted building they were held at the Brewer Auditorium which is still the same today as it was back then.

Brings back some great basketball memories.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Fri May 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Wait, hold up.

You based your assessment of a building’s atmosphere on a few exhibition games and the HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS (the ultimate exhibition game).

That’s not even close to being a valid and legimate opinion, it’s not even funny.

I’ve seen almost every UM and HS tournament game in the building over the past five years. It’s not like the Auditorium or the Pit acoustically where no matter the decibel level, it will always be loud. It’s acoustically treated so true sound levels will be heard, like a concert hall. When that place is full, it can get pretty electric, but that has more to do with the type of people in the building. The UM WBB fans (straight outta Dirigo Pines) can suck the energy right out of the place.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm

dunbar wrote:Wait, hold up.

You based your assessment of a building’s atmosphere on a few exhibition games and the HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS (the ultimate exhibition game).

That’s not even close to being a valid and legimate opinion, it’s not even funny.

I’ve seen almost every UM and HS tournament game in the building over the past five years. It’s not like the Auditorium or the Pit acoustically where no matter the decibel level, it will always be loud. It’s acoustically treated so true sound levels will be heard, like a concert hall. When that place is full, it can get pretty electric, but that has more to do with the type of people in the building. The UM WBB fans (straight outta Dirigo Pines) can suck the energy right out of the place.

"dunbar": When you get older like me maybe you will understand where I am coming from. 73 years of Basketball nostalgia and basketball experience.

I spent 23 years coaching games at the Old Bangor Auditorium and it was built for BASKETBALL. Just like the EXPO was built for BASKETBALL. Just like UMaine "PIT" was built for BASKETBALL

The three facilities the CIA in Portland, the ACC in Augusta and the CIC in Bangor were built as multi-purpose City Arenas and not just for basketbalL. To me that takes away from the basketball atmosphere that I look for and experienced and not playing in a building with concert hall acoustics.

These multi purpose buildings negatives for basketball:
1. Poor shooting backgrounds
2. College size courts for high school games
3. Fans too far away from floor's action
4. Less crowd noise even when full

I look at this as a player, coach and official.

I played and coached in the "PIT" and the "EXPO" and coached in the ACC so I know what I preferred.

Just my opinions and opinions are like noses everyone has one.

Just "different basketball facilities strokes for different basketball facilities folks".

OR

"What floats your basketball facilities boat doesn't necessarily float my basketball facilities boat"
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Fri May 11, 2018 1:57 pm

It’s a professional level arena. If shooting backgrounds were that big of a deal, they wouldn’t build new college and professional arenas that way.

All basketball courts should be 94’ long. The game has evolved. Ballparks have grown in their dimensions. Soccer pitches have expanded to 120x75 yards to open up the beautiful game. Basketball should be no different.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm

dunbar wrote:It’s a professional level arena. If shooting backgrounds were that big of a deal, they wouldn’t build new college and professional arenas that way.

All basketball courts should be 94’ long. The game has evolved. Ballparks have grown in their dimensions. Soccer pitches have expanded to 120x75 yards to open up the beautiful game. Basketball should be no different.

"dunbar": It is a matter of getting used to the shooting depth perception in the arenas.

It is that big of a deal for high school teams shooting depth wise when they play their regular season games in high school gyms with close wall mounted back wall shooting backgrounds compared to having to shoot at the CIC, AC or CIA come tournament time. Especially, for perimeter shooting and 3 point shooting percentages.

Many years the scores are lower because of the different shooting backgrounds depth perception wise and because of earlier fatigue of players from the extra 10 feet each time up the court and 20 feet up and back.

I understand about the professional arenas but high school basketball is not college or Pro basketball and high school floors will never be 94 feet because most high school gyms today are not long enough to add the extra 10 feet.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics