New AD Agenda

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

New AD Agenda

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 am

All coaching positions seem to be locked in for several years now, so unlike AD's of the past they don't have to start their tenure worrying about that. So, what are the priorities for our new AD when he or she arrives?
A couple of things I would like to see addressed are :

1. Formation of a Men's Lacrosse team. Along with little sister down south, we are the only America East school without this. ( by the way, AE has the #1 team in the country right now) Probably the fastest growing sport in America. It's time. Cut what you gotta cut to satisfy good ole Title IX and make this happen.

2. Start the process for getting a new Ice Hockey Arena. Either foot the bill to get ice in Bangor or get the ball rolling on fundraising for a state of the art , on campus facility.

There's my 2. What have y'all got?
thebam

Re: New AD Agenda

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am

Add men’s lacrosse and thier needs to be a reciprocal move on the women’s side to stay compliant
hoopsisme

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:47 am

hoopsisme wrote:Add men’s lacrosse and thier needs to be a reciprocal move on the women’s side to stay compliant

I thought it simply required the number of available scholarships to be equal?
thebam

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 am

Adding lacrosse would effectively kill the baseball program. With Maine's budget, the two simply cannot co-exist.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

dunbar wrote:Adding lacrosse would effectively kill the baseball program. With Maine's budget, the two simply cannot co-exist.

Well, I can't support this. Any idea what the numbers are? Other schools do both, so I am curious what would it take, even , as you point out, if it's not possible at Maine.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Maine is the smallest state school in Division I with all four major sports (football, basketball, hockey, baseball). It shouldn't be a surprise that resources are spread too thin already.

Adding lacrosse would have to be for both genders from a Title IX point-of-view. There's just no money for that here.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:49 pm

dunbar wrote:Maine is the smallest state school in Division I with all four major sports (football, basketball, hockey, baseball). It shouldn't be a surprise that resources are spread too thin already.

Adding lacrosse would have to be for both genders from a Title IX point-of-view. There's just no money for that here.

oh, definitely no surprise. I realize the reality. In a perfect world it would be great.
3rd on my list would have been, and I should move it up I guess , is renovation of the football stadium.
thebam

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I like the idea of expanding the football stadium if it means more fans come to the games.
But I just don't feel Orono is the right location unfortunately, it needs to be in a more centrally
located place because it is over 200 miles for Southern Maine fans to get to Orono. It is a lot easier
to take down 90 plus football players into Portland than it is to expect 30,000 Southern Mainers to
come to Orono. It is a marketing issue.

Despite last years numbers having a game at Fitzpatrick Stadium was still a good idea.
basketball_guy

Postby parquetfloor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I like the idea of expanding the football stadium if it means more fans come to the games.
But I just don't feel Orono is the right location unfortunately, it needs to be in a more centrally
located place because it is over 200 miles for Southern Maine fans to get to Orono. It is a lot easier
to take down 90 plus football players into Portland than it is to expect 30,000 Southern Mainers to
come to Orono. It is a marketing issue.

Despite last years numbers having a game at Fitzpatrick Stadium was still a good idea.

It is 143 miles from the Maine Mall in South Portland to the University of Maine campus in Orono. It's 188 miles from Kittery to the University of Maine campus in Orono.
parquetfloor

Postby dunbar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm

^OMG.

30,000 :lol:
dunbar

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics