2018-2019 Men's Basketball Line-Up

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: 2018-2019 Men's Basketball Line-Up

Postby Linguist » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 am

Could he be the guy to the right of Fleming? I don't know who that is.

Secondly, why do you make such a big deal about the walk ons? Birstonas and Wang will likely never play or be more than practice bodies. In the grand scheme of it, they are irrelevant in terms of what matters for Black Bear basketball.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:04 am

Linguist wrote:Could he be the guy to the right of Fleming? I don't know who that is.

Secondly, why do you make such a big deal about the walk ons? Birstonas and Wang will likely never play or be more than practice bodies. In the grand scheme of it, they are irrelevant in terms of what matters for Black Bear basketball.

Exactly. There are 7 scholarship players which means that 6 scholarships *should* be available.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Barron is going to bring continuity with his offensive and defensive systems. I think you will see him recruit kids that fit his system. Walsh coached his players hard but his offensive systems changed year to year. The constant roster turnover and offensive philosophy changes left the team in disarray. Coach Walsh's team got more competitive and he did develop some players, but at times the in-game coaching wasn't where it needed to be.
Barron is a proven in-game strategist and that is one area where this program can steal a few more wins. I am also excited to have assistant coaches who played professionally and at the D1 level. Vrzina gives Maine a big man coach and Reed and Curry can work hands on with guards and wings.
Maine is still going to need horses though. I like some of the kids they are looking at. It is nice to have 4 open scholarships for Barron to retool this roster.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Linguist wrote:Could he be the guy to the right of Fleming? I don't know who that is.

"Linguist": I don't think that is RB. Not a big deal about walk ons, just like to know what the complete roster will be, after all they are part of the team.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:52 am

They are part of the team in name only.

In terms of relevance Wang, Birstonas, Melmed, etc don't (and shouldn't) matter to the fans. If they come in, they are a white flag or a victory cigar.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Linguist wrote:They are part of the team in name only.

In terms of relevance Wang, Birstonas, Melmed, etc don't (and shouldn't) matter to the fans. If they come in, they are a white flag or a victory cigar.

"Linguist": I understand where you are coming from, but they do help out in practices, support their teammates on the bench during games so I think they are more than part of the team than in name only. Coaches must also feel that way or they wouldn't have them as part of the team.

I know when I was coaching I always tried to make the players who where as you put it "a white flag or a victory cigar" feel part of the team, in fact, without the 20/20 players as I call them (they only play when 20 points ahead or 20 points behind at the end of a game) feel as important as any other team member. We needed 12 players and I only used 6 or 7 so 5 where 20/20 players yet helped out to make practices a success. In fact, some even went on the become successful high school coaches even though they didn't play much in high school.

Those 12 players were treated fairly and all the same regarding everything except playing time. Maybe that is why some of the 5 subs each year went into coaching.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics