UM Womens Basketball Recruiting

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UM Womens Basketball Recruiting

Postby HoopHopeful » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Mr Neal, loved the post and enjoyed the history lesson on the evelution of the womens program. Thank you for taking the time
to write it
HoopHopeful

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Anyone know if 6-4 Bailey Donovon of Hampden Academy plans on playing college basketball?
mainejeff

Postby wings » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 am

turkeyman wrote:Thanks, wings, thanks Cim. Man, this just wasn't my day for getting stuff right. Tomorrow has to be better. It's my first meeting as chair of the select board. Wish me luck.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

It’s all good Mr. Neal, probably could’ve let it go. As you know, Benton and Clinton are bordering towns in same school district.

Echo HH thoughts on your history lesson of evolution on Maine women’s basketball program. Thanks for posting.

Best of luck as chair tonite.
wings

Postby HoopHopeful » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 am

Unread postby mainejeff » 20 Mar 2018 03:27

Anyone know if 6-4 Bailey Donovon of Hampden Academy plans on playing college basketball?

She has spent a considerable amount of time and energy traveling with Bouchard's Maine Hoops AAU team, I can't imagine her not playing collegiately.
HoopHopeful

Postby driveandive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 am

wings wrote:
turkeyman wrote:Thanks, wings, thanks Cim. Man, this just wasn't my day for getting stuff right. Tomorrow has to be better. It's my first meeting as chair of the select board. Wish me luck.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

It’s all good Mr. Neal, probably could’ve let it go. As you know, Benton and Clinton are bordering towns in same school district.

Echo HH thoughts on your history lesson of evolution on Maine women’s basketball program. Thanks for posting.

Best of luck as chair tonite.

And the name of the OOB player you couldn't remember who went to BU is Jennifer Tulley.
driveandive

Postby hoopsisme » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 am

Jen Tulley was an outstanding player!!
hoopsisme

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 pm

turkeyman wrote:I believe the trend started away from Maine girls when Sharon Versyp came in. I don't believe she ignored Maine kids. I saw her at games at Mount Ararat -- the kid she was scouting eventually went D II, I believe -- and at Waterville, where she was scouting a kid who went instead to UNH (??). But she certainly seemed to cast the net wider. In doing so, she may have begun to miss Maine and New England players. One, for example, of whom I heard was Morgan Hall from Vermont, whom Maine did not look at although she had been quoted as saying she was interested in Maine. She was a 1,000 point scorer at UVM.

Versyp's first recruiting class included Kim Corbitt (Colonie, N.Y.), Monica Peterson (Bear, Del.), Kelly Manning (Nashville, Tenn., who left after tearing her ACL a second time and became a Div. III All-American at Washington University in St. Louis) and Nicole Jay (North Jersey shore). The only New Englander was Miss Traversi (North
Attleboro, Mass.). I believe Versyp's first Maine recruit was Katie Whitter (GNG), who played 2003-07 but was injured a lot later in her career. Versyp did bring in Bracey Barker and Ashley Underwood, but I believe Katie was the only kid she recruited from southern Maine.

As the locus of quality in Maine girls basketball shifted south, so did the focus of Maine girls playing basketball. I wonder if kids looked at Versyp's recruiting and thought she wasn't interested in Maine girls. Certainly, more than one poster on here has written that Versyp saw southern Maine as a place through which she had to drive to recruit out of state. The pattern continued right up until Barron.

Remember that when Barron came to Maine he began by asking for recommendations for someone known in Maine who knows Maine and would become an assistant coach. And there was Amy Vachon, fresh off a gold ball at McAuley. So, I think he was interested in Maine kids, but the pattern by now was more than 10 years old and getting hard to reverse. One hears lots of things that one cannot verify, and one of the things I heard was that a Maine kid told Barron she was too good to play at the University of Maine. I did NOT hear that from Barron.

I also remember Jody Benner, an assistant coach, presenting at a chalk talk with fans about the recruiting process. The recruiting book was about four inches thick and he said on every page there were don'ts to warn coaches and boosters. I cannot imagine that the recruiting rules are less complicated now than they were in 2001. It stands to reason that even in the relatively clean Div. I sports, such as wbb, there will be lots of coaches who know how to bend the rules without breaking them, for example, to arrange contact with middle-school kids whose future looks bright in such a way that it appears the kid contacted the coach first. It may be that Maine has been going by the letter of the rules when others don't.

Maine is also doing more than all right at the moment with European and Canadian recruits and with recruits from the lower 47. But I, like everyone else, would love to see more Maine kids wearing Black Bear blue. Cindy was a favorite for two reasons, and only one of them was that she was from Clinton, Maine. When will there be another super-star at Maine who is from Maine?

When Gary Fifield was at USM, he was reported as always telling kids who chose a different school that he was still interested in them if their chosen school didn't work out. Megan Myles went from Edward Little to Merrimack (Div. II) to play for Ann McInerney. It didn't work out, she came back to USM and with Ashley Marble (Topsfield), in whom Versyp was not at all interested, and Katie Sibley (Boothbay) USM played for the Div. III national championship in 2006. Similarly with Tanesha Sutton. She chose, reportedly at the last minute, Duquesne over Maine but when it didn't work out, Barron welcomed her at Maine. Worked out pretty well for her and for Maine, didn't it? I take that as a positive sign that Maine's recruiters are doing the right stuff and at least some kids who choose to go elsewhere still feel positively toward UMaine.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Great post, but I do have a couple of corrections:

* Morgan Hall was a great player, but she graduated high school in 1999 and was a freshman at Vermont during the 1999-00 season, which was Versyp's first year at Maine. Hall had already signed an NLI with Vermont by the time Versyp arrived in Orono, so that part is incorrect. It must have been JPM that wasn't interested in Hall.

* Ashley Marble went to UMaine on a volleyball scholarship her freshman year and it was understood that she was going to play both volleyball and basketball. Not sure as to the reason she transferred to USM, but she had one hell of a career there. I believe the women's program wanted her to stay but I think there was a scholarship issue or something along those lines.
parquetfloor

Postby mainefan827 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 pm

everyone doubts my credibility and knowledge on the inside but you heard it here first- one umaine women's player is set to transfer. perhaps a soph guard?? we'll see.
mainefan827

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 pm

mainefan827 wrote:everyone doubts my credibility and knowledge on the inside but you heard it here first- one umaine women's player is set to transfer. perhaps a soph guard?? we'll see.

"mainefan827": Not me, your as credible and knowledgeable as any other person here on MBR who does not use their real name for credibility and knowledge about the UMaine women's basketball program.

Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked the women's roster and the only sophomore guards listed are Tapley, Brosseau, and Millan.
bcbc55

Postby mainefan827 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:28 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
mainefan827 wrote:everyone doubts my credibility and knowledge on the inside but you heard it here first- one umaine women's player is set to transfer. perhaps a soph guard?? we'll see.

"mainefan827": Not me, your as credible and knowledgeable as any other person here on MBR who does not use their real name for credibility and knowledge about the UMaine women's basketball program.

Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked the women's roster and the only sophomore guards listed are Tapley, Brosseau, and Millan.

No one in their right mind would publicly say their name when they are on the inside. I've offered mainejeff and many others a phone call or discussion multiple times with no bites. Oh well---- Maybe I'll just not say anything anymore. And oui you are correct- those are the three.
mainefan827

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics