Barron assistants?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Barron assistants?

Postby CFJunior » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:04 am

CoachA wrote:Potentially one of the best all-around men's coaching staff ever assembled at UMaine. Results remain to be seen but excellent skill development coach in Coach Curry, excellent integrity in all staff members, outstanding contact network, and excellent work ethics. There's a bright future ahead for men's basketball....finally!

Amen to that CoachA. Maine's hiring Coach Baron to rebuild this program was a brilliant move. His hiring of Amy Vachon and recruiting is proof he understands what it takes to build a program.
CFJunior

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:51 am

Edniesha Curry named assistant coach for Maine men's basketball team

...The significance of this accomplishment is not lost on Curry.

"It's because of women like Bernadette Mattox and Stephanie Ready that I have been given this opportunity," Curry says. "I watched with pride and awe as Bernadette took the sideline in Kentucky, I hope that girls and women see me on the sidelines [at Maine] and realize that they too can coach men's basketball. Their gender shouldn't be a limitation."

Just as Curry acknowledges the historical significance of her latest accomplishment, it's impossible for others to ignore all of the hard work that she's put in. The Los Angeles native picked up a basketball at age 12 of her own volition and never looked back. With the support of her parents she dedicated her time and energy to the sport and earned a basketball scholarship at Cal State Northridge, where she played from 1998 to 2000. She is still the school's all-time leader in 3-pointers (168). Curry went on to play for the University of Oregon, where she helped the team win its 2002 WNIT championship and earned an All-Pac-10 honorable mention.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/articl ... tball-team
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby aechamps » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:23 am

Happy Easter everyone! Really excited about the staff Coach Barron has brought in! Looks like Coach Curry is also getting some national attention along the way. Can't wait to see who the new wave of players are that will be coming to UMaine.......!!!
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:02 pm

aechamps wrote:Happy Easter everyone! Really excited about the staff Coach Barron has brought in! Looks like Coach Curry is also getting some national attention along the way. Can't wait to see who the new wave of players are that will be coming to UMaine.......!!!

"aechamps": Hope they can get a decent BIG. There are still a few 7 footers available. One is 7' at 220lbs from Lewiston, Maine who played at Lewiston High graduated in 2015 and then has had a year of prep and a year at a JUCO at Central Arizona. Averaged 14.3 ppg, Field goal percentage 62.6%, 8.8 reb per game and 0.9 assists per game this past season as a freshmen JUCO. Seen his highlight video and to me he would be worth an open offer by Maine men right now, specially being from Maine and being a BIG BIG. His name is Trevor Irish and I would rate better skilled offensively then Maine's 2 BIGS at 6'8" right now returning unless they really improve some for next year.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 am

New UMaine coach not motivated by trailblazing status: ‘I just want to coach basketball’

...Curry, fellow assistants Kevin Reed and Igor Vrzina and director of basketball operations Jason Coleman all were introduced as members of new head coach Richard Barron’s staff during a news conference Monday afternoon at the Alfond Family Lounge on the UMaine campus.

“I just want to coach basketball,” said Curry, who previously served as an assistant under Barron with the UMaine women’s basketball program from July 2015 to May 2017. “It doesn’t matter for me if it’s men or women, it’s basketball to me and if I was given an opportunity to coach men, I’m going to coach it the same way.”

Yet Curry’s new status is particularly noteworthy given that she is the only woman currently coaching full-time on an NCAA Division I men’s basketball staff.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/04/02/s ... asketball/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 am

Curry embraces role model status with UMaine men's basketball

ORONO - In her own words, Edniesha Curry classified her hiring within the Maine men's basketball program as a way of "shocking the world." But when one takes a look at her accolades, what is in reality a groundbreaking move at the University of Maine should come to little surprise.

Four years in the WNBA. International playing experience. A tenure in the NBA's Assistant Coaches Program. Time on the sidelines at UMaine with the women's basketball program. If it's possible for Curry to tackle, chances are, she already has. And now she's set to tackle another endeavor.

https://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/2 ... basketball
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics