Outgoing UMaine AD praised by coaches, bashed by boosters

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Outgoing UMaine AD praised by coaches, bashed by boosters

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:21 am

Outgoing UMaine athletics director praised by coaches, bashed by boosters

...But Will Rogers, president of the 86-year-old M Club, an organization made up of UMaine letterwinners and honorees, said there is “nothing negative” about Creech’s departure.

“The M Club is glad he’s gone,” said Rogers.

Former M Club president and UMaine baseball captain Dennis Libbey, a longtime member of Friends of Maine Baseball, said, “It’s time for a change.”

“He’s the worst athletic director we’ve had in 40 years. And that’s saying something because we’ve had a couple of real bad ones,” said longtime UMaine athletics supporter Frank Jordan.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/10/s ... -boosters/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Outgoing UMaine AD praised by coaches, bashed by booster

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 pm

I would like to see UMAINE bring in Terry Holland as an advisor for the next UMAINE AD.
He is retired now but has done extraordinary changes down at ECU from 2012. He knows
what it takes to turn around some of the financial issues that UMAINE faces and what it
would take to upgrade the facilities as well. He would be a great advisor to the President
of the University on a part time basis. He is retired now but has been there and done that
in terms of the Athletic director's role. He also was instrumental in building the Pirates Club
which was ECU's version of the M club. He enlisted major corporations in the Eastern Part of
North Carolina to contribute more for facility upgrades and Maine has several corporations that
he could tap into, but that is what an AD does. He raises money for the Athletic programs
and get major corporations on board. Even ones outside the State of Maine.....which is something
our previous AD should have been doing. Terry Holland knows how to get these type of deals done
and would be a major help in getting a new AD, in lieu of the current interim AD we have now with
NO AD experience (we don't need a Political hack in charge). UMAINE needs someone who has been
there and done that. Holland brings that type of experience to the table, at least in a part time
capacity. He can groom someone to take over.

Terry Holland announces his retirement as ECU athletic director
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 11:36 by Brett Friedlander

ECU Athletic Director Terry Holland, right, and chancellor Steve Ballard announce the Pirates’ move to the Big East Conference last week

Related: UNCW AD says he won’t fill Holland’s shoes.

Terry Holland came to East Carolina at a difficult time in the school’s athletic history.

The football program was down, facilities were in desperate need of an upgrade and morale was at an all-time low after the divisive tenure of his predecessor Mike Hambrick.

That was in 2004.

Today, thanks to Holland’s leadership as athletic director, the Pirates are once again sailing in the right direction with a championship-caliber football team, renovated football and baseball stadiums to go along with a new state-of-the-art Olympic sports complex, and fund-raising at an all-time high.

Having accomplished everything he set out to do, including admission for ECU as a football-only member of the Big East conference just last week, Holland announced his retirement Wednesday.

The 70-year-old Sampson County native, who previously served as basketball coach and AD at Virginia, will assume the title of athletic director emeritus and stay on until a replacement can be named. He remains under contract with ECU until Dec. 31, 2014.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/338 ... -director/
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Karlton Creech is nowhere near Maine’s worst AD. In fact I’d rank him #2 behind Kevin White for modern day ADs.
mainejeff

Postby CoachA » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:58 pm

I agree mainejeff. Karlton Creech took care of the coaches and athletes. And that was his job. The Boosters do not need to be catered to. If that's why they financially support the University then they are doing it for the wrong reasons. There were a lot of changes that needed to be made...that had to be made. The next AD will also make changes that will make some happy and some unhappy. The NCAA is tightening up the reins on booster groups..and rightfully so. Karlton Creech always had the best interest of coaches and athletes.
CoachA

Postby thebam » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 pm

remember when hockey had to surrender all those wins? which booster was it that was eyeballs deep in that mess? I'll hang up and listen...
thebam

Postby Linguist » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:14 am

So Creech didn't allow the good ol' boys club bully him into what they wanted for the athletic department and instead he put in what he believed was in the best interests of the department, school, teams, and athletes.

Move him up my ranking list then.
Linguist

Postby thebam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

I am still waiting for someone to fully explain to me how the new fundraising format is a negative? I used to send my dollars to Friends of Maine Baseball every year, or whatever their actual booster name was. Now I sent my dollars to the Alfond Fund and specify that I want the money to go to Baseball, then they match it and spread it out over other programs. Is that accurate? If it is, how on earth is that bad? Other than the " good ole boys network' being torn down?
thebam

Postby turkeyman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Bam, et all, I'll answer as best I can. I don't believe there is any doubt that the new single organization is raising more money overall for athletics, and this might particularly benefit the teams with smaller fan followings. I don't know how much of the additional money is siphoned off by Learfield, but I trust that if it were so much that there was a net decrease in finds coming up that something would be done before the Learfield contract comes up again.

Putting your money into a big pot and designating it for one sport is like donating to United Way. You may specify that you want your United Way money to go to, say, the Boy Scouts, but at the level of the United Way that is just an accounting maneuver. If the Scouts were slated to get $10,000, the accountants would merely write down that your $100 was part of the overall $10,000 going to Scouts. It can be set up so that dedicated donations go to your preferred sport over and above what would have gone to that sport otherwise, in which case when you flagged your $100 for the Scouts, the Scouts' total would go up to $10,000. I am unaware of whether the new Alfond Fund is set up that way.

As a former member and board member of the Friends of Maine Women's Basketball, I believe the loss of the boosters group is at least to some degree a loss for the players. A few players have told me the support that the team got through the FoMWBB was a big factor in their choosing to come to Maine. I have also heard, indirectly, that some players thought that some FoMWBB members wanted to be too close to the players. The players' time, after all, is pretty tight, as it is for anyone with two full-time jobs.

I am unaware that the FoWMBB had any issues of impropriety with players or coaches. I do not remember the particulars of the probation with which men's hockey got slapped, but I don't recall that it came through the hockey boosters. Maybe it did. Usually, at the P5 level, that cheating is done by individuals acting outside the institutional structure, though perhaps in league with assistant coaches. It almost never comes out whether the head coaches and ADs had knowledge.

Coming as he did from NCState and UNC, Karlton Creech had first-hand contact with P5 behavior. UNC, remember, had classes for men's basketball players that required no class attendance, no tests, etc. Sign up and get your course credit. Sorta like some online divinity degrees that you can buy so you can preside at weddings.

It may be that the new structure is better overall. Time will tell. I believe part of our unhappiness in FoMWBB was that during the transition we were told that we could not raise money without giving part of it to Learfield. And we were told that our job was to increase attendance at the games. We were never told how we were expected to do that. I, for one, always figured attendance was going to come with a winning team, and that seems to be bearing out. Our officers felt they were being stonewalled by the athletic department when they asked about the future of the group. Most of us probably would have preferred to have been told outright that the boosters clubs were being abolished.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics