Why AE women Ty has play in game and the men do not

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Why AE women Ty has play in game and the men do not

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Very surprised to learn today that the America East Conference women's tournament will have an 8-9 seed play in game with the winner having to play UMaine on Saturday March 3rd while the men's AE tourney does not have an 8-9 play in game as the 9th seeded team Binghamton will not take part in the tournament.

I just thought that with the men's AE tourney not having a 8-9 play in game the women's tournament would not have one either. I found this out today wen I went to look at the women's tourney schedule to see who the Maine women would play as the 8th place team. Wow, was I surprised to see that they will play the winner of the UMass-Lowell and UMBC play in game.

This women's play in game is Wednesday, February 28th so Maine will get a chance to scout that game which is a plus for the Bears who will play the winner this coming Saturday in the 1 vs. 8-9 winner quarter-final game.

Interesting that one America East Conference tournament will have a play in game and the other will not.

The reason for the play in game is because this is the first year since UMass-Lowell joined the conference 4 years ago that there was the need for a play in game because now there are 9 teams eligible for the tournament not just 8 like the past 4 seasons.

Wonder what the Binghamton men's team feels about that with the women having a play in game and the men are not having a play in game. If the men had a play in game it would have Binghamton at Maine as Maine finished 8th and if a tie breaker was needed Maine would win that because they beat the Bearcats twice in head ti head competition.

Very surprised that in a conference there would be a difference in the tournament format of one side having a play in game and the other side not having one.

I would think that both sides would do the same thing. With this setup one team out of 18 is not involved win their conference tournament. I would think eliminating just one team out of 18 is not a positive hing for the conference. To me both should be the same and I would favor having all teams make the tournament and each have a 8-9 play in game with the winner to play the number 1 seeded team. But that's just me.

I have 3 questions for you.

What do you think of this situation?

Do you think it is fair to the Binghamton men's team?

Why do you think it is being done the way it is?
bcbc55

Re: Why AE women Ty has play in game and the men do not

Postby dunbar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 pm

The men's coaches didn't want the play-in. The women's coaches did. End of story.

Cue the "another excellent, timely, interesting, relevant, and informative post" response from Bob... :roll:
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm

dunbar wrote:The men's coaches didn't want the play-in. The women's coaches did. End of story.

Cue the "another excellent, timely, interesting, relevant, and informative post" response from Bob... :roll:

dunbar: Thanks for the info.

Wonder how the Binghamton coach voted?

Wonder what the total coaches vote was for not having a men's play in game?

Wonder what the women's total coaches vote was to have a play in game?

Wonder could the men's conference AD's have over turned that the men's coaches vote?

Women AE coaches must have had much more positive feelings to involve everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the AE women's coaches were right on having a play in game. But, they were certainly wrong in picking the UMaine women to finish 6th in the pre-season coaches poll when they end up finishing first and win conference regular season championship and home court advantage if Maine gets to the final. Oh well, nobody is perfect.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 am

bcbc55 wrote:
dunbar wrote:The men's coaches didn't want the play-in. The women's coaches did. End of story.

Wonder how the Binghamton coach voted? It was a unanimous vote to eliminate the game

Wonder could the men's conference AD's have over turned that the men's coaches vote? Also a unanimous vote to eliminate the game

Women AE coaches must have had much more positive feelings to involve everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the AE women's coaches were right on having a play in game. But, they were certainly wrong in picking the UMaine women to finish 6th in the pre-season coaches poll when they end up finishing first and win conference regular season championship and home court advantage if Maine gets to the final. Oh well, nobody is perfect.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

Wonder how the Binghamton coach voted? It was a unanimous vote to eliminate the game

Wonder could the men's conference AD's have over turned that the men's coaches vote? Also a unanimous vote to eliminate the game

thebam: Thanks for the info. None of the coaches must have thought they woud finish 9th if the vote was 9-0.

What if UMass-Lowell had finished 9th in their first year of being eligible to play in the tourney after waiting 4 years to be eligible?

2 years is long enough for a waiting time to be eligible for the tourney anyway.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics