[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Postby RForester » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

thebam wrote:John,
Thanks for chiming in. I will formulate some thoughts for you, but I can tell you, regarding social media.. Ohio University destroyed you guys in twitter updates during a baseball series in which there was no live feed, radio or stats. That was a bad look. Just 1 example.
I can also tell you , that there is at least 1 media person in the Bangor area that had no idea, none, that the AE Baseball tournament was being hosted by Maine. That , to me , is unthinkable. I know Maine has worked hard to get that tourney back and for our local media to not even be aware of it? Pretty hard for them to help promote it if they don't even know it's happening.

Bam

Not every school can afford to travel people to sit in the stands and live-tweet games for fans like you who can't stand to go three hours without an update.
RForester

Postby JDiamond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks for chiming in. I will formulate some thoughts for you, but I can tell you, regarding social media.. Ohio University destroyed you guys in twitter updates during a baseball series in which there was no live feed, radio or stats. That was a bad look. Just 1 example.
I can also tell you , that there is at least 1 media person in the Bangor area that had no idea, none, that the AE Baseball tournament was being hosted by Maine. That , to me , is unthinkable. I know Maine has worked hard to get that tourney back and for our local media to not even be aware of it? Pretty hard for them to help promote it if they don't even know it's happening.
Bam

Bam-unfortunately we do not have the staff or resources to send someone with baseball for many of their games early in the season, and the facility they played at did not have the capability for a radio broadcast or live stats. From a marketing standpoint, Ohio has 7 full-time staff compared to our 2, so it's tough to compare us to them. As for the tournament, I'm confident that we will out-draw the previous AE tournaments, and that will become much more of a focus after the winter sports are done.

fafan wrote:Hi John,
How about some advertising on radio sports stations and some advertising for S.Maine as well especially big games. Not having any daughters guess I was out of the loop on the game and the pre game activities for the young girls. Wouldn't you think some advertising might be helpful in increasing sales for the 3/9 game?
The atmosphere for the women's game certainly was the best that I have attended.

But since you asked about football and hockey where I have season tickets I would love to see some changes that would increase revenue for the University and maybe increase the enjoyment of the event as well.

Football-
1)Why do you not charge for tailgating and especially homecoming. Homecoming is getting absurd with the lines are backed up for miles as many tailgaters never buy a ticket and just tailgate for free and don't come into the game. UNH charges $50/ vehicle and you need a game ticket, that is a crazy fee but why can't we charge $20 like the university used too and make at least member of the vehicle have a game day ticket?

2)The addition of beer sales at football games has been will received though I don't frequent it but still a nice addition.

3)A lot of people complain about the lack of concessions at football games as this is not an issue with me as we always have more food than we can eat while tailgating. Looks like there are more food vendors near the entrance to the stadium?

Hockey
3)Why couldn't beer sales be incorporated into hockey games. You have allowed corporate box members to buy mixed drinks and beer for years but yet seasonal ticket members are not allowed to have an adult beverage? Maybe you could make local microbrews available as a way to help out local business's and increase the fan experience as well.

4)This weekends hockey ticket prices seem a little heavy at $20 game and this may be due to Hockey East involvement. Overall certainly happy with the change in the program and the fact you seem to have valued your season ticket members more.

5)Thanks so much for asking about ways to increase sales and marketing of the programs and increase the fan experience. Believe most programs have seen an increase in attendance except for one and hopefully that situation will change, keep up the good work. :D

6)You mentioned an increase in streaming for UMaine sporting events. Do the amount of viewers streaming increase revenue and if so I think there may be opportunities to spread this word as I continually see UMaine hockey fans on facebook inquire as to what TV station ESPN 3 is :roll:

Fafan-lots of good questions here. In terms of advertising, we have radio ads running on our partner stations, but we've found that social and digital media are more effective when using our limited budget. We have found that fans in Southern Maine are more responsive to radio and therefore invest in it for the games played in Portland (which both sold out this year), but have moved away from radio in the Bangor market in favor of more effective options. For football, at this time 2 years ago we were in a very different situation. We were averaging about 5,000 fans per game, and despite charging for parking/tailgating it generated very little revenue. Following a full evaluation, we changed our revenue model to focus on ticket sales. Our belief was that the benefit of free parking/tailgating would out-weigh an increase in the ticket cost, and help create more demand for fans to come out and enjoy the game day experience. Through these changes, as well as improved social media and video content, added benefits for Season Members (access to the best tailgate lot and a member gift along with cost savings), and other new marketing strategies such as the "Maine Football Game Day Saturday" sign campaign, we were able to increase overall attendance 57% to nearly 8,000 per game, as well as double the overall revenue brought in from ticket sales. Now that we have created that demand, there are new changes that will be rolled out shortly for the upcoming season to improve areas such as the time it takes to get into the tailgate lot as well as increase the total number of tailgate spots (in addition to the record number of spots for last Homecoming), as well as generate some additional revenue to support the program. Alcohol sales will evolve over time, but we do our best to offer as much as possible to fans within the guidelines provided by the university. As for streaming, there are sponsor opportunities that generate revenue, but we also believe that providing the ability for fans to watch every game is best in the long-run and makes fans more likely to support the teams and purchase tickets to see the them in-person.

alumni1985 wrote:As far as basketball games go, one way to get a better crowd on week nights would be to have an earlier start time. Not sure if it possible, but if so, it would allow families with younger children to come. On the weekends, there are plenty of things that could happen to attract more people.. starting with local school basketball teams recognition days, more kid friendly activities during time outs (something that a work study student could organize), alumni nights where ex-players are on hand to greet the fans, and getting more local businesses involved with gift certificate give-a-ways. And all it takes is twitter, facebook, instagram, and the local news to get the word out. Of course having a winning team doesn't hurt!

Alumni1985-much of what you mention involves our relationship with Learfield, who owns the rights to sell our sponsorships and media rights. They determine most of the required announcements/graphics/videos/contests throughout the game. We're working with them to make much of that more fan-friendly moving forward. While it is more restrictive in terms of what we can offer for giveaways as businesses are required to be corporate partners, Learfield does bring in a lot more revenue for the program than when sponsor/media rights were handled internally.

Thank you all for your feedback!
JDiamond

Postby fafan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks John for the updates!!!
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 am

Some things have noticeably improved. The tailgating experience has to be among the best in the CAA. I think that having satellite concession "stands" in the walkway between lower & upper sections is a great move! More could be done in the concourse area under the stadium but that might be more of a capital improvement project at this point. Music still sucks & is too loud....make it general public fan friendly music....not hard core stuff that is more appropriate for practices maybe?

Alfond experience is pretty good as is the CIC...winning cures all. :)

Also...I appreciate the limited supply of $20 chairbacks that are now available for hockey games. I actually attended 3 games this season which I would have otherwise not have if the seats were $40 each. ;) That means that I spent $180 for hockey tickets due to a smart pricing move made by the dept. :)
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 pm

RForester wrote:

Bam

Not every school can afford to travel people to sit in the stands and live-tweet games for fans like you who can't stand to go three hours without an update.

I will take your comment with the lack of seriousness it deserves. Sorry I acutally give a crap about our teams beyond men's hockey. Actually, I'm not sorry.
thebam

Postby RForester » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 pm

thebam wrote: I will take your comment with the lack of seriousness it deserves. Sorry I acutally give a crap about our teams beyond men's hockey. Actually, I'm not sorry.

My comment has nothing to do with a particular sport.

I was merely suggesting that your complaint about the lack of tweets and updates was something Maine could do nothing about unless you wanted to donate the money for another 2-3 staff positions to satiate your undying support and love for Mainesportsotherthanhockey.

I for one would LOVE to see live tweets from swimming and diving meets but hey...
RForester

Postby turkeyman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 pm

We used to have boosters groups for most if not all of the sports at UMaine. Someone in those groups, if they still existed, would almost always be available to tweet out scores by inning, quarter, run, etc. And at no
cost to the university. But those groups were deemed for some reason not constructive to the effort, so they were rather unceremoniously dumped.

Boosters raised money, sponsored events and get-togethers, etc. I have talked to at least one wbb alumna who said the Friends group was the tipping point in her decision to come to Maine, made her feel she wasn't going to a strange place where she didn't know anybody.

By the way, I heard that the wbb boosters kicked in for the trip to the Hawaii tournament in 2003 or '04 to the tune of about $30,000.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby alumni1985 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Is the Friends of Maine Women's Basketball group active all anymore?
alumni1985

Postby turkeyman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:07 pm

'85, no, the athletic department disbanded all booster groups. Friends of Maine Women's Basketball was one of the last to go. Not sure what might happen with a new AD. Some thought abolishing the friends groups was a requirement forced on the department by Learfield. Don't know if that is true, but we in FoMWBB were told quite clearly that we were not to raise money and that any money that came into the program had to go through Learfield.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby wings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:45 am

Great to see Maine native Parise Rossignol play aninstrumental role late in this game, game to clinch championship. Remember reading somewhere, she stepped away from the game for awhile then given opportunity to return to team. Rossignol Family gotta be smiling.
wings

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics