WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Postby thebam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 am

Why does the #1 seed not get the last game of the day?
thebam

Postby mikegormanfan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 am

More time to rest...that is way more important than playing the last game.
mikegormanfan

Postby fafan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am

thebam wrote:Why does the #1 seed not get the last game of the day?

I did hear that as the #1 seed we got to pick when we played on Saturday and chose the noon start. But don't know what we had if any for an option on Sunday.
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Are teams re-seeded for the semi-finals? I think that Hockey East does. If Hartford upsets Binghamton I’d hate to have Maine play them instead of Stony Brook/UNH.
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm

mainejeff wrote:Are teams re-seeded for the semi-finals? I think that Hockey East does. If Hartford upsets Binghamton I’d hate to have Maine play them instead of Stony Brook/UNH.

No.

The one seed at noon on Saturday maximizes the rest period as well.
dunbar

Postby JDiamond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:56 pm

thebam wrote:
fafan wrote:
mikegormanfan wrote:It really counts on 3/9

You are right Mr. Obvious, but without a W today you would have to do it in Albany and nobody has been able to that for the last 6 years. :o
At least you have to feel with today's W you feel you have a fighting chance. And let's not forget how tough the games in Portland can be.
If we can get it done in Portland would love to have UMaine market the heck out of the 3/9 game and sell out the Cross Center. Certainly wasn't anything done to promote sales for today and it still was the best crowd of the year. ;)

What??? Maine? Athletics? Market and promote it's programs? The next time will be the first.

Hi Bam, Fafan, and others,

I'm very interested in your ideas to market UMaine Athletics events. I'd be very interested to know how you think we should be utilizing our resources to receive the best return on investment.

Personally, I think the 1,500 kids and families that were at the game 2 hours before tip for the Girls and Women in Sports fair had a huge impact in yesterday's environment, as well as being an incredible experience for those families and the UMaine students and Student-Athletes that participated. That was a large part of the marketing focus for yesterdays game.

How about social media? Are there any AE schools doing it better? There certainly aren't any reaching a larger audience. How about the video stream? We have thousands of fans watching from around the world every game and lead the conference in attendance as well as stream-views.

How about other sports? Last year football and men's hockey led the CAA and Hockey East respectively in attendance growth, and football had the largest in all of FCS (2nd in all Div. 1). There have also been more hockey games sold out in the last 2 years than the previous 5 combined. I don't think that growth can be attributed to anything other than the marketing efforts.

Certainly with more resources, we could do more advertising. However, we must selectively use our budget to be sure we are being efficient and effective. Instead of saying that nothing is being done, I'd love to hear what you think should be done that hasn't been.

As always, I appreciate everyone's support and feedback!

Best,
John
JDiamond

Postby dunbar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm

John, use #mesports on every tweet from the department starting now until the end of time. That's the most widely used and viewed hashtag for anything related to athletics in this state.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

John,
Thanks for chiming in. I will formulate some thoughts for you, but I can tell you, regarding social media.. Ohio University destroyed you guys in twitter updates during a baseball series in which there was no live feed, radio or stats. That was a bad look. Just 1 example.
I can also tell you , that there is at least 1 media person in the Bangor area that had no idea, none, that the AE Baseball tournament was being hosted by Maine. That , to me , is unthinkable. I know Maine has worked hard to get that tourney back and for our local media to not even be aware of it? Pretty hard for them to help promote it if they don't even know it's happening.

Bam
thebam

Postby fafan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi John,
How about some advertising on radio sports stations and some advertising for S.Maine as well especially big games. Not having any daughters guess I was out of the loop on the game and the pre game activities for the young girls. Wouldn't you think some advertising might be helpful in increasing sales for the 3/9 game?
The atmosphere for the women's game certainly was the best that I have attended.

But since you asked about football and hockey where I have season tickets I would love to see some changes that would increase revenue for the University and maybe increase the enjoyment of the event as well.

Football-
1)Why do you not charge for tailgating and especially homecoming. Homecoming is getting absurd with the lines are backed up for miles as many tailgaters never buy a ticket and just tailgate for free and don't come into the game. UNH charges $50/ vehicle and you need a game ticket, that is a crazy fee but why can't we charge $20 like the university used too and make at least member of the vehicle have a game day ticket?

2)The addition of beer sales at football games has been will received though I don't frequent it but still a nice addition.

3)A lot of people complain about the lack of concessions at football games as this is not an issue with me as we always have more food than we can eat while tailgating. Looks like there are more food vendors near the entrance to the stadium?

Hockey
3)Why couldn't beer sales be incorporated into hockey games. You have allowed corporate box members to buy mixed drinks and beer for years but yet seasonal ticket members are not allowed to have an adult beverage? Maybe you could make local microbrews available as a way to help out local business's and increase the fan experience as well.

4)This weekends hockey ticket prices seem a little heavy at $20 game and this may be due to Hockey East involvement. Overall certainly happy with the change in the program and the fact you seem to have valued your season ticket members more.

5)Thanks so much for asking about ways to increase sales and marketing of the programs and increase the fan experience. Believe most programs have seen an increase in attendance except for one and hopefully that situation will change, keep up the good work. :D

6)You mentioned an increase in streaming for UMaine sporting events. Do the amount of viewers streaming increase revenue and if so I think there may be opportunities to spread this word as I continually see UMaine hockey fans on facebook inquire as to what TV station ESPN 3 is :roll:
fafan

Postby alumni1985 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm

As far as basketball games go, one way to get a better crowd on week nights would be to have an earlier start time. Not sure if it possible, but if so, it would allow families with younger children to come. On the weekends, there are plenty of things that could happen to attract more people.. starting with local school basketball teams recognition days, more kid friendly activities during time outs (something that a work study student could organize), alumni nights where ex-players are on hand to greet the fans, and getting more local businesses involved with gift certificate give-a-ways. And all it takes is twitter, facebook, instagram, and the local news to get the word out. Of course having a winning team doesn't hurt!
alumni1985

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics