WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB win 74-69 in OT.. Regular Season Champs!

Postby fafan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

mikegormanfan wrote:It really counts on 3/9

You are right Mr. Obvious, but without a W today you would have to do it in Albany and nobody has been able to that for the last 6 years. :o
At least you have to feel with today's W you feel you have a fighting chance. And let's not forget how tough the games in Portland can be.
If we can get it done in Portland would love to have UMaine market the heck out of the 3/9 game and sell out the Cross Center. Certainly wasn't anything done to promote sales for today and it still was the best crowd of the year. ;)
fafan

Postby turkeyman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Say all you want about defense, inside game, hitting shots at the right time, etc. This game was won by chemistry and smarts.

The chemistry showed up when Blanca fouled out, and quickly you could see that everyone on the floor knew Maine could not "leave it to Blanca." It became, "We've got to do this without her, so let's go." You could see the excitement in the more demonstrative players, especially Fanny and Dor, as they jumped up and down celebrating good plays, good shots, good breaks (finally) from the officials. You could see it in Tanesha's smile, which she flashed after each good event in the final 15 minutes. In a different way, you could see it in Parise, who doubled down, clenched her fists in determination and went to work. If you want to talk about any single person during the last 10 minutes, you might well start with Parise. She was right in Fequiere's shorts, and when Maine's help defense came alive Fequiere was stymied. Even when Maine didn't trap her, Maine cut off her options and her teammates weren't able to find space to come get the ball. One of the best 10 minutes of so of grit you'll see.

Smarts. Start with Coach Vachon. She tried this, she tried that through the first three quarters. Managed to shut down Trpcic, who hit four treys, for a while and Albany turned to Fequiere. Then to Tiana-Jo Carter, who played her best, I thought, during the middle of the game when Maine was wearing down other Albany players a little. But, as so often happens, Carter got into foul trouble. And Vachon kept tinkering, looking for this, looking at that. In the end, she found the way to stop Albany for 11:19 without a field goal, including the entire overtime. I'm starting to believe that Vachon may be the best Maine coach I have seen at adjusting to the game in front of her. I don't mean to demean any other coaches, especially Coach Barron, who is a great xs and os coach, but Coach Vachon seems unusually adept at seeing exactly what is going on and knowing her kids' abilities and tendencies well enough to plug in the one(s) needed at any given moment.

Player smarts, too. Notice on the stat sheet that Tanesha had only two steals. You could almost feel her pulling back just a bit from her usual game, letting go loose balls that in other games she might have gone after, to avoid fouling. How long did she play with four fouls? And Vachon left her in the game. T's basketball smarts kept her in the game and helped her play what may have been her best game at Maine. She was adept at shaking her man to get open under the basket for uncontested layups. A couple of those times in the fourth quarter, you could almost hear an Albany kid ask, "How did 23 get over there? She was right in front of me a second ago." Smart in that she knew her man and knew herself and could get open for the bunny. And, Julie, who has had a tough time of it for the past week and a half, was smart enough to remember that "shooters shoot," and her teammates kept reminding her of that. When you're zero for everything in an important game, it takes grit and smarts to chuck up two treys in overtime. And Dor played well above her years in controlling the ball and the clock through the overtime.

I'll have a lasting image of this game, and it wasn't on the floor. In the box over our left shoulder were about a million Vachons. After the game, Paul Vachon was standing in the middle of the front row of the sky box just looking at the arena floor and not moving. Maybe just a bit of a smile. He was savoring what his daughter had just done. I hope he gave himself a bit of that smile. How many coaches have had the opportunity to grow up having supper and basketball talk every night with Paul Vachon? Amy has certainly taken advantage of that.

Just as an aside, today's game might propel Tanesha farther into coaches' minds when it comes to all-AE voting. As I wrote on an earlier post on another thread, T may be an outside possibility for first team. After today, she may be a little more of a possibility. I would expect Albany's coach would be hard pressed not to vote Tanesha for the first team. We'll see. And, again, when T plays well, Maine wins. It might also provide more support for the notion of Parise as Sixth player. Who woulda thunk that the shooter from Van Buren by her junior year at Maine would be celebrated for her defense, for shutting down one of the league's best scorers and strongest inside players? And a couple of really big boards late in the game on the offensive end. And, of course, as a shooter, she dropped the trey that gave Maine its first lead of the game.

I am not thumbing my nose at anyone with this paragraph, but I wonder what some other people are thinking when they see this score or watch tape. What does Tihana Stojsavljevic think of her former team while she rides pine out at Texas Tech sitting out her transfer year? Especially considering that the coach who drew her to TT got fired in mid-year. Tech is 7-21, 1-16 in conference. She may do well at Tech, and Tech may get better with a new coach, but I wonder what she feels right now. Naira Caceres is doing something similar at Butler, which is 14-16, well above last year's record. Butler has only two seniors and has five transfers, including Caceres, and a junior-sophomore lineup she will have to crack next year. Laia Sole's sister, Judith, transferred to Duquesne, and Laia did the same. Judith hasn't played a minute a game in this her senior year. Will something similar happen to Laia? Anita Kelava is at Georgetown, which is having a down year at 14-14 after going to the WNIT last year. She may have stepped into the best spot of the four who transferred to DI schools because Georgetown graduates four this year, which may open a spot for her. Still, she was a key in Maine's drive to the tournament championship game last year, and this year the team she left behind won the regular season title. Wonder what each of them thinks? Wonder if any of them got on Facebook or Twitter today to congratulate their old buddies. Sure would like to have seen some of those kids take part in this so-far terrific season.

Shoutout to KJ. Grit. Smarts. Total devotion to her team and teammates. Kind of a "whaddaya need me to do, Coach" attitude. I told her after the game that she showed up her coaches today. "They finally start KJ in a game, and Maine wins the conference championship when she starts." Shoutout also to the other Maine athletes who turned out today. Others have commented on the number of football players at the game. Saw several members of the tennis team (club sport at Maine) in the stands, as well. Nice to see the Cross Center rocking today. Feel sorry for those who didn't turn out. My friend had to drive up from Buckfield after working past midnight Saturday. Called from home to say she had made it back to Buckfield in the snow. Said "I wouldn't have missed that for anything." This was only her third game, but she may be hooked on Maine wbb.

Just one terrific day, and something we haven't always been able to say about Maine. These kids never give up, never give up, never give up . . .

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Amen Bob! I did not go to the game today, but they won! :) I will be in Florida next week so they will have to do it without me again! ;)

Regarding the transfers...thank-you to all 4 for leaving! Maine's chemistry is perfect this season. :) :) :)
mainejeff

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Excellent post turkeyman I enjoyed reading it.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 am

Archer Bunker wrote:Excellent post turkeyman I enjoyed reading it.

AB

BOB: I second Arch's post.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 am

Maine women's basketball wins America East regular season title after thrilling comeback
- http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/24 ... g-comeback

UMaine women’s basketball rallies to earn top seed
The Black Bears comeback from a 16-point deficit to beat Albany in the regular-season finale.

...In the closing 1:30, Maine made two key stops on Fequiere. She was driving to the basket when Brosseau reached in and stole the ball.

Maine missed a shot and Albany looked to Fequiere again. She drove, but Sutton was in the lane and took the charging foul.

Brosseau’s 3-pointer with 11 seconds left sealed it.

“Heartbreaker,” Albany Coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee said. “Maine hit some big shots and the crowd was spectacular, really a sixth man for them.”

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/25/ ... -top-seed/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mikegormanfan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:45 am

Parise was the co-player of the game along with Sutton. Her huge three point shot was preceded by her diving on the floor to secure a loose ball. And her defense...wow . This team was ranked pre-season #6. What a coaching job.
mikegormanfan

Postby thebam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am

fafan wrote:
mikegormanfan wrote:It really counts on 3/9

You are right Mr. Obvious, but without a W today you would have to do it in Albany and nobody has been able to that for the last 6 years. :o
At least you have to feel with today's W you feel you have a fighting chance. And let's not forget how tough the games in Portland can be.
If we can get it done in Portland would love to have UMaine market the heck out of the 3/9 game and sell out the Cross Center. Certainly wasn't anything done to promote sales for today and it still was the best crowd of the year. ;)

What??? Maine? Athletics? Market and promote it's programs? The next time will be the first.
thebam

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 am

Yesterday’s crowd was 3000 plus. Coach Barron and others put together a fantastic pregame activities area for kids. Collectively an excellent job promoting. I saw multiple sources promoting yesterday’s game. Great atmosphere and our grand daughters had a blast. Pictures with the team pregame. A host of booths to swing a golf club, a bat, hit a field hockey ball, play an instrument with the band. Again a great atmosphere
hoopsisme

Postby fafan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 am

Here is the schedule for Portland.

http://americaeast.com/tournaments/?id=2218

So if we win on Saturday we get the winner of SB and UNH on Sunday at 2:00 pm, ugh. Beating UNH is never easy and knowing what we have done to them the past couple of years they will be ready for Bear,(LOL).
Having lost to SB during the season who would we rather face? Either one will be a tough out.
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics