Bob Walsh

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 pm

I guess we can support the team thru the end of the season. The players deserve that at this point. It is always the players that lose in a situation like this, but I agree with Bamm it is best to support these kids thru the end of the season but after that all bets are off.

I am just looking forward to next season with a new coach. Enough said.
basketball_guy

Postby mikegormanfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Manny99 wrote:Couldn't agree with you more, Bam.

Walsh is a really good coach. He has had terrible luck, terrible support, and hasn't caught a break since he landed in Orono four years ago.

I would really like to see the community get behind the team, give them support - imagine what would happen if 3000 people showed up to the Cross and provided an actual "home court advantage". I'm guessing the team would be more successful in the W column.

3000 people would sit on their hands and witness a lame duck coach with a crappy team. Bad luck? How do you figure. He had four years to turn it around and hasn't moved the needle one inch.
mikegormanfan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 pm

I have never dumped on the players, but, they were the ones that made the decision to come to Maine in the first place so they are not without some contributions to 16-97 vs.D-1 competition.

Support Fleming and Melmad their Mainers and the 3 from Lee Prep part time-Mainers the others are all out-of-staters who could not make it some where else and all ended up at Maine as their only D-1 choice.

The players made their basketball bed and they had to lay in it, either that or get out of it like the 11 players did the past two springs.

They are getting their a free education paid for Maine tax payers dollars so I don't feel too sorry for them.Not dumping on them just stating the facts. D-share of the money with a free education.

So they are lucky to be playing D-1 ball at all. UMaine is a D-1 school by classification but certainly haven't played that way for the past 3 plus years. Currently ranked 337th out of 351 D-1 teams in team RPI.

If Maine is going to be 16-97 plus this 3 year plus span I would rather see it with mostly Maine kids.

This has been the worst 3 year plus almost 4 year span W-L wise since the 40's and maybe ever.

PLayers have come and gone, how many have made it thru the 4 years with Walsh: Only Calixe and Melmad to my figuring on this current roster.

The only positive thing about the past 3 plus seasons and the remainder of this one of 3 games is that it is finally over with HOPEFULLY.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am

My point is, and was .. We don't need a post bashing Coach Walsh and this program every single day. You made your point. Give it a rest. By all means Cim, write whatever you want. I am asking you to find some new material!
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 pm

thebam wrote:My point is, and was .. We don't need a post bashing Coach Walsh and this program every single day. You made your point. Give it a rest. By all means Cim, write whatever you want. I am asking you to find some new material!

thebam: The truth is not bashing. You may be getting tired of me posting the same thing over and over and over and hoping I'll stop, but I'm tired of the same things being do over and over and over again expecting different results. In your case I can give you different results. I'll stop bashing until for awhile but I won't promise for how long. Maybe until the season is over just 3 more games to make it 100 losses in 4 years. Tha's 25 a, oops got to stop bashing, but it is the truth if they lose out.

Really not bashing as Webster's definition of bash is A PARTY and the past 3 plus almost 4 years has not been a BASH OR A PARTY.

New material??????? Oh, how about the move to an interim AD starting March 12 and Creech leaving in May. 2 AD's at one time for 6 weeks or so. Does that mean they might move twice as fast for a decision on the men's job? Just "askin"!!
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 pm

We need an AD with experience not some political hack who served under Donald Rumsfeld.

I just hope they allow the new AD whomever he or she is to do her job and choose the next UMAINE

basketball Coach. A military man while a good interim pick to oversee the choosing of a new AD does not

make a good decision if he is allowed to decide who should be the next basketball coach. We need someone

with some AD experience who knows what is required in a new basketball coach. And in this particular case

we definitely need to get a basketball coach who has been well screened and who has the background to take

over umaines basketball program to take it to the next level. An AD with experience is what is needed, not

someone who is looking to satsify his political ego because he happens to be a friend of the outgoing UMaine

President.
basketball_guy

Postby hoopsisme » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:18 am

A change in coach may be in the wind. Wasn’t there an “exhaustive” national search done by the professional administration? And where are we now? Maine has never been to the NCAA tourney. Have not even won a quarterfinal in years. What changes even if we hire a new coach? Maine is very underfunded. A lot of programs running on rock bottom budgets. I have had the good fortune to travel and see games all over New England and well beyond. The money and facilities and support at even successful mid majors dwarfs what we have here. If we continue to do what we have done, what will change? Many of the Maine kids that could play at Maine have left for situations they felt they could not turn down. My fear is that this has been so down for so long and decisions by those who supposedly are much smarter than the rest of us have created a hole that is going to be hard to get out of. Here’s to hoping that the next decision is kick ass and this moves forward!
hoopsisme

Postby aechamps » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Like I said before .....you want to get a few local kids in town and you want to get things back on track....I would love to see Chris Markwood get a chance if he is interested in the job......hes got the credentials and hes got the connections.
aechamps

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 pm

I agree with hoopsinme. I was on UMAINES JV team in the Fall of 1978. 40 of us tried out and 12 made
it. In December they had to drop the program because of the budget cuts in the Athletic department.
A terrible lack of planning....to say the least.

I know how it really is at UMAINE. But that being said what has gone on for the last four years has been
even worse for this program. They need to get a coach who at least has had some experience coaching
at the division 1 level if that is even possible. Walsh was an Assistant but I think they need to get someone
from a power conference like the SEC or Big 12 or even the ACC even if he is an Assistant Coach that would
work.

That is why I am worried about this pick for AD. He appears to be a political appointment. No prior AD experience
under his belt. That does not bode well for the choice of a new Basketball Coach. If he is only there to choose the
next AD then step down then I can accept that, but what we don't need is some political hack making decisions
on UMAINE'S sports programs. We need an AD who can step in and knows how to run an athletic department.

We may be a while awaiting a change in the basketball program or they may fire Walsh then wait for the new AD
to take over to choose the person best suited for the job after a National search.

That is what they should be doing. I just hope that is what they plan on doing....
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Here is what they were saying about Walsh in Rhode Island before he took the UMAINE job....

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... h-70915284
basketball_guy

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics