Bob Walsh

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Bob Walsh

Postby basketball_guy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 am

I guess this is the best place to put this...

Maine AD Karlton Creech is taking over at Denver.

Bad news for Bob Walsh in the long-term (new AD incoming, may look to make their own name).'
I can not imagine any scenario where Walsh survives with a new AD. He is gone for good.

There must be some changes coming down from the Chancellor. I think Walsh is history no matter
who comes in to take over as AD. It just delays bringing in his replacement. A new AD is going to want
to put his mark on the basketball program. No way does Walsh return to Maine. It won't be good for recruiting
however because it delays making the necessary changes required in the Mens basketball program. Walsh
was Creech's choice. He deserves the credit if a Coach succeeds but by the same token deserves the scruntiny
when a Coach is as a bad a choice as Walsh has turned out to be.

I wonder if Jack Cosgrove regrets leaving Maine now. He would have been my choice for next AD. Barron may
be suitable but he does not bring the necessary job skills to oversee all of Maines athletic programs. But that
being said perhaps he can grow into the position. I don't see Barron as the next Head Basketball Coach for the
mens program.
basketball_guy

Re: Bob Walsh

Postby mikegormanfan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Kreech will sign the new men's coach to a long term deal. That will be his last order of biusiness.
mikegormanfan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am

mikegormanfan wrote:Kreech will sign the new men's coach to a long term deal. That will be his last order of biusiness.

Nice scoop! Looks like Barron will be the new men's HC! Lynn Coutts will fill in as Interim AD but will no doubt apply for the "permanent" position.
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am

mainejeff wrote:
mikegormanfan wrote:Kreech will sign the new men's coach to a long term deal. That will be his last order of biusiness.

Nice scoop! Looks like Barron will be the new men's HC! Lynn Coutts will fill in as Interim AD but will no doubt apply for the "permanent" position.

I hope this happens, everyone will come out smelling like roses. This would be a major win for everyone :D :D :D
fafan

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:52 am

Postby mikegormanfan » 21 Feb 2018 02:30

Kreech will sign the new men's coach to a long term deal. That will be his last order of business.

Creech won't do anything about Walsh. That will be left to the next AD who takes over at Maine.
Mainly because the next AD has to live with whomever takes over the basketball program, and Creech
understands that I would assume. No, this is going to be the next AD's call. He may recommend to the
next AD what he should do but look at what he said after last seasons disgrace of a basketball season.
Creech was aware of how bad things were after last season. But he won't be the one to terminate Walsh.
That will fall on the next AD because he has to live with whatever decision is made while Creech is on his
way out the door.

That should be a pretty good indication that Walsh is gone.

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/07/ ... -continue/
basketball_guy

Postby Hookem4 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Question -

Do people believe that a different coach would have

A) Recruited better players
B) Won more games with the current roster

Curious to see what you guys think. Seems like - if you watch the games - Maine is really competitive. They have lost several OT games and many more one possession contests. I realize that the bottom line is to find a way to win - but I also believe the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Hookem4

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Hookem4 wrote:Question -

Do people believe that a different coach would have

A) Recruited better players
B) Won more games with the current roster

Curious to see what you guys think. Seems like - if you watch the games - Maine is really competitive. They have lost several OT games and many more one possession contests. I realize that the bottom line is to find a way to win - but I also believe the grass isn't always greener on the other
side.

"Hooken4":

A. He recruited better players they just didn't stay.
B. Should have won more games with current rosters even if the 11 transfers left.

The Reasons they didn't:
1. Didn't recruit enough BIGS
2. No inside game
3. No inside-outside game to get open threes
4. no dribble penetration game to get open threes
5. used way too many players double figure minutes
6. did the same things over and over and over again for 3
plus seasons of 18-97 vs. D-1 teams and 8-0 vs. non D-1 teams to be 24-97 overall and expected different results
7. If lose last 2 regular season games and quarter-final tourney game will lose 100 hundred games in 4 seasons. 25 a year. Those 24 overall or 18 D-1 wins very very expensive.
8. Does that explain enough how I feel?

As far as the grass goes: "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence and that is because it is over a leaking septic tank".

However, Bob Walsh is a great BLOGGER and writer, but that doesn't win ball games. But if he coached as well as he BLOGS we wouldn't be discussing his situation.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Can we just stop already. YOu guys don't like Coach Walsh. That's obvious. Do we think we can stop with the same old recycled BS every day bashing this guy and just try for once and support this Coach and this program for whatever time there is left in this season? It's tiresome and old. I know at least one of you won't support this program no matter what. I hate to break the news to you but Skip Chapelle isn't walking through that door so give it a damn rest already. Maine has a scant few games left before the conference tournament. Is it too much to ask that we support them in their attempt to pull off a half dozen upsets the rest of the way? Regurgitating the same old garbage every day out of you guys is getting old. Bring something new , support the team or as Archie Bunker used to say, Stifle yourselves.
There will be plenty of time going forward to break down the last 4 years. Now isn't the time.
thebam

Postby Manny99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, Bam.

Walsh is a really good coach. He has had terrible luck, terrible support, and hasn't caught a break since he landed in Orono four years ago.

I would really like to see the community get behind the team, give them support - imagine what would happen if 3000 people showed up to the Cross and provided an actual "home court advantage". I'm guessing the team would be more successful in the W column.
Manny99

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm

thebamandmanny99: If you don't like my posts then it's simple PLEASE JUST DON'T READ MY POSTS.

I'm just answering the 2 questions that were asked by Hoopem4. what do you expect?

Want us to lie or not just respond?

thebam: you do what you want and I'll do what I want and I'll meet ya half way between the non rehiring and the new rehiring how ever that goes?

I like Walsh personally and his BLOG,it is what he has or has not done that I listed with my post on this thread that I don't like.

manny99: You think Walsh is that good a coach then you can give him a positive recommendation for his next job. He will need a few positive ones that aren't connected to D-3 RIC.
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics