WBB: Sutton's Double-Double Leads Maine Past Vermont, 79-47

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB at Vermont Feb 22, 7 pm

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 am

Shows you what the other America East coaches know when the America East women's coaches picked UMaine to finish 6th in the pre-season women's coaches poll.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year they have far exceeded the so called experts predictions. No pressure on Maine for the coming tournament as they were supposed to have finished 6th. Now they could even get the home court advantage if they win the game with Albany at home Sunday and get to tournament final.

Coach Vachon has to be a lock for the America East Conference's coach of the regular season year. Millan certainly has be considered MVP on what has happened so far this season and of course all-conference lst team. Sutton has to in that mix too. Saar also in contention for rookie of the year and all rookie team.

Will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Most of these awards are based on the 16 game regular season performances. The tournament is separate awards by itself I believe, like all tourney teams selection and MVP.

iF THEY DON'T WIN THE CONERENCE TOURNEY AND THE AUTOMATIC BID TO THE BIG DANCE, I THINK IF THEY GET TO THE TOURNEY FINALS AND FINISH RUNNERSUP TO ALBANY AND INVITE TO THE WOMEN'S NIT SHOULD BE IN ORDER.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:35 am

I am sure I am biased as a result of my being a Maine fan; however, I completely agree with Coach Cim's post. Amazing to see how this team has grown since getting blown out by D-II Stonehill (who, by the way, is an impressive 24-2). Maine is now one win away from clinching its third conference regular season championship in four years and, more importantly, its second #1 seed in four years. I thought Maine's preseason America East ranking of sixth was laughable. However, I pegged Maine as the #3 seed and certainly did not expect it to be a game away from another regular season crown.

I have said it before, and I will say it again - Blanca Millan is the most complete, consistent, and valuable player in this conference. Even if Maine wins the regular season title, I have a sinking suspicion that Imani Watkins will take regular season MVP honors. Please do not get me wrong - Imani Watkins is an outstanding player. However, I think her league-leading PPG obscures the complete picture of her stat line. Watkins leads the nation (yes, you read that correctly) in field goals attempted, and her effective field goal percentage is 1,585th out of 3,379 D-1 players. Further, her season stat line, displayed below, does not compare favorably to that of Millan, which is also displayed below (conference ranks in parentheses; excludes tonight's games):

Millan PPG: 17.7 (3rd, might have passed Jessica Fequiere for 2nd after tonight's game)
Watkins PPG: 20.7 (1st)

Millan Efficiency: 13.3 (1st)
Watkins Efficiency: 11.6 (5th)

Millan SPG: 3.2 (1st)
Watkins SPG: 2.4 (3rd)

Millan Effective FG%: 51.9% (9th)
Watkins Effective FG%: 45.0% (37th)

Millan RPG: 5.1 (15th)
Watkins RPG: 4.7 (18th)

Millan APG: 1.6 (21st)
Watkins APG: 3.1 (8th)

For the job she and her coaching staff have done this year, if Coach Vachon does not receive Coach of the Year honors, the award loses all credibility. That might seem hyperbolic, but it would be ludicrous for the America East to overlook the job she and her coaching staff have done. Think about the state of the program after the five transfers departed last year. If you predicted Maine would be where it is right now, you are either lying or you are Nostradamus.

I would be curious to know what Tanesha Sutton's plus/minus stat is for the season. Maine just seems to thrive off of her tenacity, hard work, and post presence when she is on the court. With Millan, Fequiere, Watkins, Crymble, and Johnson/Pogue/Abed likely taking first team honors this year, I think Tanesha absolutely deserves a second team nod for her outstanding contributions all year long.

I am not sure about the competition for the Rookie of the Year award, but Dor Saar, who has won at least two Rookie of the Week awards this season, should be in the running. She has done a commendable job serving as starting point guard for most of the season, and oh yeah, she's a freshman! She has tremendous upside; the future looks bright for the Black Bears!

Anyway, a great road win for the Black Bears tonight! With the regular season championship on the line and all of the activities happening (Women in Sports Day, Play4Kay, Senior Day for KJ, etc.), hopefully Maine gets a big crowd on Sunday...after how hard these players have worked all season, they deserve it!
MaineBBFan99

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:13 am

Sutton's Double-Double Leads Maine Past Vermont, 79-47
Maine returns home to host UAlbany on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Burlington, Vt. -- Tanesha Sutton's fifth double-double of the season helped propel the University of Maine women's basketball team to a dominant 79-47 victory at Vermont on Thursday evening.

The win lifts the Black Bears to 19-9 overall and 12-3 in America East play. With UAlbany's win at Binghamton on Thursday, the Black Bears and Great Danes remain in a tie atop the America East standings. The two teams will meet on Sunday at the Cross Insurance Center at 1 p.m. to decide the America East regular season title. For tickets, visit the Cross Insurance Center box office or purchase online at TicketMaster.com.

Blanca Millan led all scorers at Vermont with 22 points on 4-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc. The scoring total marks her 27th consecutive game recording double-figures and her 14th time reaching 20 points in a game this season. Sutton finished with 17 points and 11 boards while Julie Brosseau added nine points, four rebounds and three assists.

The Black Bears, who shot 56.3 percent in the first half, finished the contest 30-for-64 (46.9) while dominating play inside. Maine outrebounded the Catamounts 44-27, 19 of its boards coming on the offensive end to lead to a 24-8 advantage in second chance points.

For the seventh time this year, Maine was able to limit its turnovers to single-digits (9) helping it to a 17-9 mark in points coming off turnovers.

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2018/2 ... 79-47.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB: Sutton's Double-Double Leads Maine Past Vermont, 79

Postby mainejeff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

Here are last season's AE awards list for comparison's sake....

https://americaeast.com/news/2017/3/4/2 ... ath=wbball

I agree with pretty much everything you guys have pointed out. It should be noted that AE coaches are usually not too kind to Maine when it comes to handing out awards. They won't be able to ignore Maine this season but don't expect any "big ones" except Vachon being named COTY. My predictions:

COTY - Vachon
1st Team - Millan
2nd Team - Sutton
Defensive Team - Millan & Sutton
Rookie Team - Saar
Academic Team - Not sure but I know Maine has some very good students

Unfortunately, Brosseau probably played her way off from the 3rd Team over the past few weeks.

Other Predictions:

POTY - Watkins (Bing)
Defensive POTY - Should be Millan but will probably be someone else. :roll:
ROTY - Maybe this will end up being Saar after checking things out. A weak freshman class in AE this season.
Sixth Player - I submit Parise Rossignol for consideration!

1st Team:

Millan
Watkins
Crymble (Vermont)
Feguiere (Albany)
Pogue (UNH)

2nd Team:

Sutton
Gibbs (UMass-Lowell)
Abed (Hartford)
Johnson (Stony Brook)
James (Bing)

3rd Team:

Healy (UNH)
Moon (Bing)
Carter (Albany)
Harrison (Hartford)
Lai (UNH)
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am

Nice breakdown of individual awards but to me the only thing that matters is not allowing Albany to win their 7th straight trip to the Dance. :(

To have to beat Albany in Albany seems like such a daunting task and obviously has been for the past 6 yrs. I realize this years team has exceeded everyone's expectations but I am sure the team feels like a victory Sunday and taking care of business in Portland will give us our best shot at home 2 weeks from today. If all this were to happen do we think we could get the biggest crowd ever at the Cross or will the 4pm start be a deterrent from keeping this happening, game is on ESPNU.

On the individual side the biggest improvement award must go to Saar who seems so much more confident in all aspects of her game, quite amazing for a freshman pt guard to do what she has done. Earlier in the year I thought we were lost w/out Sigi but she has stepped up so much that her absence is not nearly as noticeable.
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

fafan wrote:Nice breakdown of individual awards but to me the only thing that matters is not allowing Albany to win their 7th straight trip to the Dance. :(

To have to beat Albany in Albany seems like such a daunting task and obviously has been for the past 6 yrs. I realize this years team has exceeded everyone's expectations but I am sure the team feels like a victory Sunday and taking care of business in Portland will give us our best shot at home 2 weeks from today. If all this were to happen do we think we could get the biggest crowd ever at the Cross or will the 4pm start be a deterrent from keeping this happening, game is on ESPNU.

On the individual side the biggest improvement award must go to Saar who seems so much more confident in all aspects of her game, quite amazing for a freshman pt guard to do what she has done. Earlier in the year I thought we were lost w/out Sigi but she has stepped up so much that her absence is not nearly as noticeable.

Saar has really matured in her role over the past month. I consider her the 3rd most important player (after Millan & Sutton) on the team in terms of determining their success. That is a tall order for a freshman PG & she will be severely tested in that role in the tourney.

Albany is ripe for the picking but they won't be an easy out. Remember that they still have Carter on the team & she is from Maine so she has extra motivation. :evil: :roll: (On a side note...I've been happy to see that recent D1 commits from Southern Maine have chosen programs outside of America East! :) )

The 4:00pm start should work out fine if Maine hosts the championship. Kids will be out of school for the day & the elderly (the largest segment of Maine's fan base) will be able to attend the game in the daylight. ;)
mainejeff

Postby turkeyman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

Glad you could see the team chemistry come through on the screen last night. It was palpable sitting behind the bench. Huge smiles and air punches on the bench, especially by Tanesha, any time one of the bench kids hit a hot, stole a pass, snagged a board. And they really erupted when Kat got the rebound and then the tip-in a few seconds later.

Wouldn't be surprised if that uproar for Kat was because of what she must have endured the past eight days following the shootings at her high school in Florida.

Several posters have noted how much better the team plays when T has a good game. Last night, she did everything. From the end of the first, it was really just a question of how wide the margin would be. Vermont didn't really play much defense, and the court at Patrick Gym is a great shooters' court, so if you don't D-up, you can get smoked.

Interesting that UVM had only 12 turnovers. It did not handle the ball well at all, tried several players at point. But the problem wasn't so much turning it over as finding an open man. Maine's defense forced Vermont outside, though it did pull off a few nice back-door cuts, and even outside, the wrong player had the ball at the wrong time much of the night. On one of UVM's shot-clock violations, they were actually moving the ball away, to the player farthest from the basket when the horn went off at 30. That is good defense.

Did the TV guys know why the Vermont coach got two technicals and an ejection? No one in the gym could figure anything other than that he must have said something to the official as she ran past the bench, something to which she took exception. She was the same official who called the player control fouls on Tanesha at Stony 'Brook and called most of the fouls last night on Fanny. She has worked two of Maine's three latest games, and she seemed not in sync with the other two officials either time. I asked some Vermont folks if their coach is a hothead, because he has not impressed me that way, and they said no, but once in a while he'll get really steamed about something. That must have happened last night, but I didn't see what.

Atmosphere at Vermont has turned a 180 since Keith Cieplicki left. He was a very productive coach, but a real nasty piece of work. Once got p-od at his team and refused to coach the players during a game. Created a pretty mean atmosphere in the gym at Burlington, where fans would taunt opposing players, mock fans of the visiting team who cheered their team, etc. It's actually a pleasant, though still high-school style, gym to visit now.

More later of AE awards possibilities.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 am

Lots to look at for all-AE teams.

Seems to me that when coaches vote, they usually consider, tops, four elements. Scoring, rebounding, how did that kid play against my team, and how important is that kid to her team? Coaches seldom see enough games to have a comprehensive view of everyone in conference, especially on a player's importance to her team.

I've been gleaning conference stats. If you consider only scoring, your top five would be Imani Watkins (Bingo), Blanca Millan, Shania "Shorty" Johnson (Stony Brook), Jessica Fequiere (Albany) and Hannah Crymble (UVM). If you add rebounding and give a combined score to each on individual stats (rank in each category, lowest number wins, as in cross country), the picture changes quite a bit. Blanca (2nd in scoring, 11th in rebounds) and Fequiere (4th in scoring, 9th in rebounds) are tied at the top. Carlie Pogue and Olivia Healy (both of UNH) are tied at third, Pogue at 7th in scoring and rebounding each and Healy at 11th and 3rd. Crymble remains in the top five at 5th in scoring and 12th in rebounding. Dropping out are Watkins and Johnson,

Two quite different top fives. If you go beyond those statistical categories and consider other stats, specifically, assists, steals, fg percentage and blocks, you get even different results. When you total them on the same basis of ranking and low number wins, you get for a top five: Blanca, Lindsey Abed (Hartford), Johnson, Healy and Crymble. Dropping out are Watkins and Fequiere.

Only Blanca and Crymble show up in the top five by all three measures. Interestingly, Tanesha Sutton ranks 12 in scoring and sixth when you combine scoring-rebounding and when you use all six measures. Here is where conscientious coach-voters have to start scratching their heads. Few would argue that Maine is not a much better team when Tanesha is on the floor. She follows the Liz Wood model of do everything and do it well (except, maybe, stay out of foul trouble, and that was sometimes a problem for Liz, too).

Hard to scope out how coaches will vote. In 2005, Kim Corbitt was player of the year and defensive player of the year. She was not in the top 20 in scoring or rebounding, but anyone who watched that team knew quickly that it was Kim Corbitt's team. And, when Kim went down in the first round of the AE tournament in Hartford, Maine was done. I don't believe anyone else has been both PoY and DPoy in the same season since then except Sharesha Richards of Albany. In 2001, the last year of the old AE with Hofstra, Drexel, Towson and Delaware, Michelle Koslowski of Drexel led the league in scoring and was PoY. But Cindy Johnson of Delaware was the player who made her team go and, in the judgment of many, should have been player of the year. UD won regular season and tournament titles, went 26-4. Without Cindy Johnson, UD was maybe an 18-12 team.

I've only seen Bingo once, and Watkins went off against Maine that day. Since she is a senior, coaches will likely give her the nod over Blanca for PoY, but they should ask where Maine would have been without Blanca and where Bingo would have been without Watkins. On overall value to her team, I would pick Blanca by a hair, but I won't be surprised if she gets first team and Watkins gets PoY. It is hard to figure anyone who can beat out Blanca as defensive player of the year, but that is so hard to quantify (beyond steals and boards) that it's anybody's guess.

I could argue for Tanesha as first team, but some coaches didn't see her at her best. Some have put Pogue on first five, but I'm not sure where she figures in the intangibles. Didn't her coach bench her late in the season? And didn't someone post that it was a disciplinary step or sorts? Stats show one game not played and one other not started. Based on what I've seen, I'd put her teammate Healy ahead of her. Crymble is hurt by the overall poor performance of her team. Sort of like Ernie Banks. How can the MVP come from the worst team in the league? How can you figure Crymble's value on a team that is 5-10 in conference? After the game in Burlington, local TV reporters noted that Crymble didn't score against Maine until fairly late (third quarter, maybe?).

Wrap. First team: Blanca, Watkins, Johnson, Fequiere, Abed. Blanca may be marginally more important to her team than Watkins, but sentiment gives PoY to the senior. Second team: Tanesha, Crymble, Healy, Alyssa James (Bingo) and Janelle Harrison (Hartford). Third team: Pogue, Tiana-Jo Carter (Albany), Darby Lee (Hartford, and perhaps mostly because she always plays well against Maine), Jerelle Matthews (Stony Brook) and perhaps Brittni Lai (UNH). Some may put Kayla Gibbs (Lowell) on third to give UML some representation. But having watched her in two games, I noticed that she needs to sit quite frequently, so she isn't the force she might be if she were in better condition.

Hard to see anyone beating out Dor Saar for Rookie of the Year. Her confidence was slow to come back after her injury against Miami, but her value has been clear in the past five or six games, and her defense is getting better every game. Lowell has a freshman from Spain named Paula Lopez who is the only contender I saw who might match Saar. She has started 23 games and was more responsible than anyone else for keeping Lowell in the game at Maine that went down to the wire.

Someone suggested Parise Rossignol at Sixth Player of the Year. Hard to argue against that. And you can see her value almost every game. She came up big against Lowell at Bangor. Perhaps the prettiest jump shot I've ever seen by a player coming out of a Maine high school. Consider, also, Kirsten Johnson. Odd that two contenders for Sixth player might come from a team that doesn't have a strong bench, but when you look at Maine's relative lack of height, you may get a greater appreciation for what she has done to fill up the middle for sometimes long stretches. And, finally, she is starting to look for her shot. Dropped an almost-three against UVM her first shot on Thursday night.

If Maine wins regular season title, Maine may get a little more representation on all-league teams. Best case might be Blanca, Tanesha, Dor and Parise/KJ. That would be great. And if scoring dominates in coaches' minds, don't forget Julie Brosseau, who is 16th in scoring and went off against a couple of teams whose coaches might mark her on their ballots as a result.

Coach of the Year should be a lock for Amy Vachon. It's Amy and then eight other guys tied for ninth.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics