Florida shooting and Maine basketball

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Florida shooting and Maine basketball

Postby turkeyman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 pm

The wbb game against Lowell wasn't much to brag about, but far more important is that the killing of 17 people in Florida affects the Maine team.

Kat Williams, a freshman reserve, graduated last year from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where the murders took place today. Before the game, a group of fans had supper at the Sea Dog, and the shooting was topic No. 1. A couple of people asked whether it might have been near where Kat had gone to school. No one knew at the time. We learned after the game that it had been at Kat's school. Needless to say, she must be devastated. This team is pretty closely knit, and Kat is a real academic superstar on the team, so the effect that it had on her may have carried over to other players, as well. Only a handful of kids on this team is playing anywhere near home, which may make them feel terribly isolated when something like this happens.

While we always pray for the victims, which includes their families, of these horrible events, this time I pray just a bit harder because I know someone who would have been in that building a year ago. If you pray, please pray for the kids at Marjory Stoneman Douglas and for Kat Williams who is isolated up here and can't do much to comfort her schoolmates. Or to be comforted by them. If you don't pray, please send thoughts of support their way and hers.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Re: Florida shooting and Maine basketball

Postby coachr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am

Bob, I can tell you that something like this can be hard to deal with. Surprised these girls were even able to take the court. And yes, these people need to be in our prayers. Very well stated Bob and thanks for caring about these kids. As a parent of one of the players, it does mean a lot. God bless.

Matt Rossignol
coachr

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics