Both UMaine basketball teams lose to Stonybrook

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Both UMaine basketball teams lose to Stonybrook

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Women; Stonybrook 76 UMaine 68
men: Stonybrook 64 UMaine 61

Enough posted or enough said period.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: Both UMaine basketball teams lose to Stonybrook!

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:09 pm

basketball_guy

Re: Both UMaine basketball teams lose to Stonybrook

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 am

A few takeaways I had from the women's game:

1. Shania (Shorty) Johnson is the real deal. She finished with 23 points on 9-15 shooting, including 5-11 from 3-point range, and 9 assists. Her range from behind the arc, outstanding ball handling, and ability to penetrate and dish to Stony Brook's post players proved to be a deadly combination for the Black Bears. Bcbc, I recall a post a few weeks ago where you commented that Dor Saar, at 5'4", is too short to be a Division I point guard. Given that Shorty Johnson, who stands at 5'1", averages 15.7 PPG (including 35% from 3-point range), 5.4 APG, and 4.0 RPG, I think you might need to reassess your height requirement for a successful D-1 point guard.

2. Maine's defense, particularly its interior defense and protection against dribble penetration, just did not show up today. I mean, Maine shot 10-21 (47.6%) from the three, scored 68 points, and still came up short. And granted, Maine did commit 17 turnovers, but the offense really wasn't the issue today. The Black Bears gave up 76 points, the most it has given up since its loss in December against national runner-up Mississippi State. You might expect Shorty Johnson to get her usual 15-20 points, but Cheyenne Clark's career high 22 points were just a killer for the Black Bears. Many of her points seemed to be on dribble drives for layups that went barely contested. Maine's offense seemed to finally click in the fourth quarter, but it was simply trading baskets with the Seawolves and could not get defensive stops when necessary. Side note: Seawolves is coming up in the post as a misspelling, which prompts the question and frequent fan chant: What's a seawolf?!

3. I have said it before, and I will say it again - Maine needs Tanesha Sutton to 1) avoid foul trouble and 2) to play at least 30 minutes per game. Her presence in the post lends credibility to Maine's interior offense and opens up the three-point shot for Maine's guards. Her ability to rebound and defensive effort are second to none. From my vantage point on the couch today, she got absolutely hosed on the two player control fouls called against her (one in the first quarter and one, her fourth foul, in the fourth quarter). The second player control foul seemed like nothing more than a flop and even got Coach Vachon steamed at the official, something we have rarely seen all season. The block/charge call is college basketball's version of the catch/no-catch rule in the NFL -
the rule is inconsistently applied, and Tanesha, unfortunately, experienced that firsthand today. These were critical calls that changed the complexion of the game.

4. It was nice to see Dor Saar make some significant contributions today - 14 points, 4 assists, 4 steals, and played the full 40 minutes. I am guessing that opposing teams focus their efforts on Millan, Brosseau, and Sutton; so any substantive offensive contributions she can provide during the tournament could be the difference between an early exit for the Black Bears and hoisting the America East trophy on March 9. We also will need her ball handling if/when it comes time to face the full court pressure of Hartford and the extended zone of Albany.

5. This conference is wide open. I believe there are four tiers within this conference: 1) Maine and Albany; 2) Binghamton slightly behind them; 3) a logjam of teams that includes Hartford, UNH, Stony Brook, and Vermont; and 4) UMBC and Lowell. That having been said, I have not seen this level of parity in the conference in years. While I realistically can only envision 5 or so teams being able to rattle off three straight wins in the tournament in March, I would be shocked if there not some significant upsets along the way in Portland.

6. The #1 seed is crucial to success in the tournament, and by that I mean guaranteeing a home game in the conference championship game (should the #1 seed get that far). I actually cannot remember the last time a women's team has won the conference championship on the road. Hopefully, Maine takes care of business on Wednesday at home against Lowell and on the road against Vermont (that one scares me a bit) to set up a game on February 25 against Albany to determine the conference regular season champion (and the #1 seed).
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 am

MaineBBFan99 wrote:A few takeaways I had from the women's game:

1. Shania (Shorty) Johnson is the real deal. She finished with 23 points on 9-15 shooting, including 5-11 from 3-point range, and 9 assists. Her range from behind the arc, outstanding ball handling, and ability to penetrate and dish to Stony Brook's post players proved to be a deadly combination for the Black Bears. Bcbc, I recall a post a few weeks ago where you commented that Dor Saar, at 5'4", is too short to be a Division I point guard. Given that Shorty Johnson, who stands at 5'1", averages 15.7 PPG (including 35% from 3-point range), 5.4 APG, and 4.0 RPG, I think you might need to reassess your height requirement for a successful D-1 point guard.

2. Maine's defense, particularly its interior defense and protection against dribble penetration, just did not show up today. I mean, Maine shot 10-21 (47.6%) from the three, scored 68 points, and still came up short. And granted, Maine did commit 17 turnovers, but the offense really wasn't the issue today. The Black Bears gave up 76 points, the most it has given up since its loss in December against national runner-up Mississippi State. You might expect Shorty Johnson to get her usual 15-20 points, but Cheyenne Clark's career high 22 points were just a killer for the Black Bears. Many of her points seemed to be on dribble drives for layups that went barely contested. Maine's offense seemed to finally click in the fourth quarter, but it was simply trading baskets with the Seawolves and could not get defensive stops when necessary. Side note: Seawolves is coming up in the post as a misspelling, which prompts the question and frequent fan chant: What's a seawolf?!

3. I have said it before, and I will say it again - Maine needs Tanesha Sutton to 1) avoid foul trouble and 2) to play at least 30 minutes per game. Her presence in the post lends credibility to Maine's interior offense and opens up the three-point shot for Maine's guards. Her ability to rebound and defensive effort are second to none. From my vantage point on the couch today, she got absolutely hosed on the two player control fouls called against her (one in the first quarter and one, her fourth foul, in the fourth quarter). The second player control foul seemed like nothing more than a flop and even got Coach Vachon steamed at the official, something we have rarely seen all season. The block/charge call is college basketball's version of the catch/no-catch rule in the NFL -
the rule is inconsistently applied, and Tanesha, unfortunately, experienced that firsthand today. These were critical calls that changed the complexion of the game.

4. It was nice to see Dor Saar make some significant contributions today - 14 points, 4 assists, 4 steals, and played the full 40 minutes. I am guessing that opposing teams focus their efforts on Millan, Brosseau, and Sutton; so any substantive offensive contributions she can provide during the tournament could be the difference between an early exit for the Black Bears and hoisting the America East trophy on March 9. We also will need her ball handling if/when it comes time to face the full court pressure of Hartford and the extended zone of Albany.

5. This conference is wide open. I believe there are four tiers within this conference: 1) Maine and Albany; 2) Binghamton slightly behind them; 3) a logjam of teams that includes Hartford, UNH, Stony Brook, and Vermont; and 4) UMBC and Lowell. That having been said, I have not seen this level of parity in the conference in years. While I realistically can only envision 5 or so teams being able to rattle off three straight wins in the tournament in March, I would be shocked if there not some significant upsets along the way in Portland.

6. The #1 seed is crucial to success in the tournament, and by that I mean guaranteeing a home game in the conference championship game (should the #1 seed get that far). I actually cannot remember the last time a women's team has won the conference championship on the road. Hopefully, Maine takes care of business on Wednesday at home against Lowell and on the road against Vermont (that one scares me a bit) to set up a game on February 25 against Albany to determine the conference regular season champion (and the #1 seed).

ManeBBFan99: I was referring to the shortness of the UMaine point guard more on the defensive side of the ball if teams were smart enough to post her or S. Johnson up on the block for that matter.

Also, when facing full-court pressure the smaller guards are inclined to put the ball on the floor and try to dribble the ball thru the pressure, as it is hard for them to see over any type of run and jump trap.

Also if teams played the shorter guards with a taller defender and over played their strong side hand, they might have a tougher time making interior passes and getting of their perimeter shots. But that would probably be expecting too much from their opponents coaches.

Didn't watch the women's game as I watched the men's game vs.SB

Seeing the women gave 76 points which was 21.5 more points per game then they were averaging 54.5ppg defensively coming into the game did they try to play anything but man to man defense?
bcbc55

Postby mainah57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Great post, MaineBBFan99.

I agree completely about Shorty Johnson... I am hoping we don't have to see her & Stonybrook again in March. This team really seems to be gaining a lot of momentum and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull an upset in the tournament. They only start one senior (Worley), so they'll likely be a very strong team next year as well.

It definitely came down to defense yesterday. We should be able to win in the AE when putting up 68 points, but Stonybrook got far too many easy layups.

I will say it was nice to see the team not give up in the 4th quarter - Stonybrook was up by as much as 19 at one point, and we cut it down to 7 with a little less than 4 minutes to go. I thought we had a shot at that point, but as you mentioned, we kept trading baskets with them and couldn't cut any further into the deficit.

We definitely need to take care of business in these next two games against Lowell and Vermont (Lowell just beat Vermont actually for their first AE win since 2015-2016!). No game is a gimmie in this conference anymore.

It would certainly be really nice to get the #1 seed and likely play UMBC or Lowell as the first round game, as I agree that there is a significant gap in between those two teams and the rest of the group.
mainah57

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics