[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Amy Vachon

Amy Vachon

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Amy Vachon

Postby Linguist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:20 pm

The Athletic Department at UMaine is in a pickle.

What will they do with Amy Vachon? The UMaine women are in 1st place in America East far exceeding preseason predictions.
They can't ask Vachon to return to being the associate head coach can they? Why would she want to do that? They can't fire Richard Barron. They can't let Amy leave to coach somewhere else can they?
What is 2018-2019 going to look like on the UMaine Womens sideline and where will Amy Vachon be?
Linguist

Re: Amy Vachon

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Linguist wrote:The Athletic Department at UMaine is in a pickle.

What will they do with Amy Vachon? The UMaine women are in 1st place in America East far exceeding preseason predictions.
They can't ask Vachon to return to being the associate head coach can they? Why would she want to do that? They can't fire Richard Barron. They can't let Amy leave to coach somewhere else can they?
What is 2018-2019 going to look like on the UMaine Womens sideline and where will Amy Vachon be?

Linduist: That is a better pickle to be in then in the Maine men's coaching situation. At least the women's program have a very positive situation for Barron to return to if he so chooses compared to whoever comes in to take over the Men's program.

If Barron returns as the head coach of the women's team then Coach Vachon will have a decision to make. Go back to being the associate head coach at Maine or seek a job at another D-1 head coaching position. It is as simple as that. It will all depend on what Coach Vachon wishes to do.

At least it is a very positive situation for the women's program regardless of what Coach Vachon decides to do.

She certainly would be an outstanding D-1 head coaching candidate after leading Maine to the championship game last year and currently leading the women to a 17-8 overall record and a 10-2 first place position in the 20th ranked RPI AE Conference and 23rd in the conference SOS (strength of schedule) ranking out of the 32 D-1 conferences.

Add to that Maine currently is ranked 67th in the reatimerpi.com team RPI rankings and ranked 94th in the SOS of the 349 D-1 teams.

Maybe Coach Vachon would stay on as the associate head coach again if she was promised the head job when Barron retires or leaves the program in the future.

Remember Coach Vachon is a true Mainer, played high school basketball at Cony High school and lead them to Class A State Championships, played for the UMaine Women's team and lead them to the "Big Dance"
several times, maybe she would want to be the head coach at Maine permanently and be willing to wait until Barron retires or moves on.

Maybe Maine gets the best of two worlds, Barron back as the head coach and Vachon back as the associate head coach with a good raise waiting for the Maine head job in the future.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Linguist wrote:The Athletic Department at UMaine is in a pickle.

bcbc55

Postby thebam » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:20 pm

How about giving Amy a 4 year contract and official Head Coach status. Then, announce that Coach Barron will be the new HC of the Men's team? Assuming that Coach Walsh isn't going to be retained.
Best of both worlds?
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Obviously bam has some inside info. ;)
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

mainejeff wrote:Obviously bam has some inside info. ;)

MJ: No offense to the bam but I don't think the bam has got any inside information. I think that is just a guess or hope on his part.

I would not favor that move at all. It is a lot different coaching D-1 men then D-1 women. Women at far more coach able and the Maine men's program has got to be started up from scratch. How much experience has BARRON HAD AS A MEN'S COLLEGE COACH?

Not going to get a D-1 head coach to come to Maine so will need to get an associate head coach at a top 100 D-1 school.

There is an associate head coach currently coaching at the 85th team out of the 351 D-1 teams in the men's Realtimerpi.com's RPI team rankings that has a SOS (strength of schedule ranking) of 122 out of the 351 D-1 teams ranked. His D-1 team is playing in the 12th ranked RPI ranked conference out of 32 conferences that also has an SOS Conference ranking of 13th of the 32 D-1 conferences.

He is a former outstanding Maine high school player, outstanding player at UMaine at Orono and also coached there as an assistant at UMaine at Orono. AND HE IS AVAILABLE.

HE IS WHO MAINE REALLY NEEDS AS HE WILL NOT USE MAINE AS A STEPPING STONE FOR ANOTHER JOB FOR HIS CAREER. HE WILL STAY FOR THE LONG HALL. HE HAS OUTSTANDING RECRUITING CONTACTS BECAUSE OF THE HIGH RANKING THE SCHOOL HE IS CURRENTLY AT IS.

AS GOOD A PLAYER AS HE WAS AND AS GOOD AS AN ASSOCIATE AND ASSISTANT COACH HE HAS BEEN AND IS, HE IS AN EVEN BETTER HUMAN BEING.

How is that for a resume? When he applied 4 years ago when the job was opened he only got a skype interview.

Maine made a mistake last time when they didn't hire this candidate they sure can correct it by hiring this outstanding young D-1 associate head coach this time around.

BUT JUST MY BASKETBALL OPINION; and like noses everyone has one.

bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Some of you are SO out of the loop.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:32 pm

mainejeff wrote:Some of you are SO out of the loop.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJ: So why am I SO out of the loop? I think I maybe closer to the loop then you may think I am.

And if this SO called loop is thinking about Barron as the possible new men's head coach, I'm sure glad I am not in that SO called loop you are referring too.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

How about giving Amy a 4 year contract and official Head Coach status. Then, announce that Coach Barron will be the new HC of the Men's team? Assuming that Coach Walsh isn't going to be retained.
Best of both worlds?

The BAMM is right on the money on this one...

Lets assume that Coach Walsh is not going to be retained for the sake of MBB program. I don't know what Karlton
has in mind but I would think he would be doing a National Coaching Search. Amy Vachon is doing one hell of a job
as the Womens Coach. Lets hope Karlton does the right thing here and make it permanent. Not sure Barron is up to the Daily Coaching grind at this point in his career.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

basketball_guy wrote:How about giving Amy a 4 year contract and official Head Coach status. Then, announce that Coach Barron will be the new HC of the Men's team? Assuming that Coach Walsh isn't going to be retained.
Best of both worlds?

The BAMM is right on the money on this one...

Lets assume that Coach Walsh is not going to be retained for the sake of MBB program. I don't know what Karlton
has in mind but I would think he would be doing a National Coaching Search. Amy Vachon is doing one hell of a job
as the Womens Coach. Lets hope Karlton does the right thing here and make it permanent. Not sure Barron is up to the Daily Coaching grind at this point in his career.

basketball__guy: I believe Barron's contract allows him to comeback to the women's program when he is ready, whenever or if he is ready to come back like you stated BBguy.

No current D-1 head men's coaches are going to apply for the Maine men's job unless they get fired this year so if there is a national search then it would have to be probably be a D-1 associate or assistant head coach at a very successful D-1 program this year.

How about an associate head coach at the 85th ranked RPI team of the 351 D-1 teams with a 122 SOS ranking of he 351D-1 teams playing in the 12th ranked RPI conference of the 32 D-1 conferences with an SOS of 13th ranked conference of the 32 D-1 conferences?
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics