Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Postby thebam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am

Linguist wrote:Sure this year is not probably worth you getting a media pass, but it appears as there is no excuse other than personal preference to not getting one next season.

There will be something. They should've hired xxxxxxx

The new guy is running the same offense.

Any number of things to avoid just actually going and supporting the program.
thebam

Postby Linguist » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Should have hired Chris Markwood.

Should have recruited and signed Terrion Moss. Should have signed Taylor Shildroth.

Should have hired Doug Leichner.

etc.
Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm

thebam and Linguist: Thanks for posting some of my reasons for not my attending games in person and staying home and watching them on line last year, this year and next year???????

Notice I said some of the reasons and not all of the reasons.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Linguist wrote:I do have a question here bcbc55,

You state you've coached in the past, and played in the past. Yet you are basing your opinions on the teams based on what you saw in the preseason. Have you never coached a team or played on a team that improved from the preseason or did your teams always reach their full potential and peak in the first week of preseason?

I would argue Dor Saar is a legit point guard and is providing exactly what this team needs right now.

But you would say something about her height and she should be posted up.

I would counter that with Maine's help side defense being as strong as it is, Maine can cover her being on the post defensively and it actually would be a negative for the opposition because now your point guard and lead defensive player is out of position as Maine counters the other way.

You would say I didn't see it in their preseason game.

And I would say teams grow and change and develop as the year moves along.

Sure this year is not probably worth you getting a media pass, but it appears as there is no excuse other than personal preference to not getting one next season.

Linguist: Please notice I have finally got your user name spelled correctly.

Let me try to answer your questions in the order you asked them.

1. Always tried to peak my teams at tourney time in February.

2. If opponents knew the correct and effective spacing offensie so as to make Maine play a big price defensively for open threes and open layups when they tried to protect Saar with double teams from the help side then they would force Maine to either go zone or replace Saar so far this season on a regular basis.

3. You wouldn't see it in the exhibition, non-conference or conference games this year because no opponents have tried to post up Saar.

4. Sure teams grow and improve as the season progress, but I haven't seen much improvement except for individual player improvement and there has been quite a bit of that.

Still living and dying by the three, still running the same offense to get the three. No inside game, no inside-outside game and little dribble penetration to get better shot selection to get to the foul line more, higher percentage shots and more open 3 looks.

The one consistent thing that they do that has given them the record that they have and the success that they have is that they only use 7 players double figure playing minutes and that is a great basketball move compared to the men using 10 or 11 players double figure playing minutes. Keeping your best players on the floor for 30 plus minutes a game is one of the biggest differences between the Men's and women's program' s success.

The women allow their best players to stay on the floor a lot more which allows them to develop higher basketball IQ's which has them playing more from the shoulders up than using their athleticism and playing the game from the shoulders down. This makes for better basketball decision making by having them let the game come to them and not force things and take themselves to the game which leads to better shot selection, fewer turnovers, and fewer defensive fouls and player control fouls.

The women play just the opposite then the Maine men when it comes to this important part of the game and is why they are more successful then the men.

5. Will have to wait until next year to decide if I want to watch games in person or still do what I have done past years and this year and watch the games online as I can see all In I need to see to enjoy and evaluate the players and the teams strategies.

Maybe the biggest reason is that at my age I just don''t like going out in the cold to get to the game and then have to go out to a cold vehicle after the game when it is much easier and comfortable to stay home and watch the games on line. After all I can hook up my computer and run the games through my big screen TV. Plus if I get tired of a poorly played game or a blow out games I can change channels on my computer if I wanted to, but haven't done that yet either.

Hope that answers all of your questions.
Maybe when you get older you will feel the same way I do.

All I know is the older I get now that I turned 80 this year the harder the winters seem to be on my old body.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am

I am half your age and hate winter, and going out in the cold and the snow.

But if it wasn't for hoops I would remain indoors from November through March.

Go to the games next year, sit courtside, watch as Richard Barron works his magic with his men's team led by Isaiah White, Trae Bryant, and Vernon Lowndes Junior.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 am

Linguist wrote:I am half your age and hate winter, and going out in the cold and the snow.

Go to the games next year, sit courtside, watch as Richard Barron works his magic with his men's team led by Isaiah White, Trae Bryant, and Vernon Lowndes Junior.

This!
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am

Linguist wrote:I am half your age and hate winter, and going out in the cold and the snow.

I'm 50 with an artificial hip. I spent 12 hours ( round trip) in a car to watch them get exactly what I thought they would get at Texas Tech. Their uniforms say Maine on the front. That's my state ( despite my exodus) so they get my support , unconditional.
thebam

Postby augie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Coach Cim,

When you run low on supplies during the winter months do you go to the grocery store to restock or do you just turn on the Food Network Channel? :lol:

Just having fun with you. I hope you pick up credentials next year and see a few games in person in order to report back here on mbr from your live perspective.
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Guys: I'm an old school Mainer and when they get a Coach from Maine like Skip Chappelle who will stay and recruit Maine kids like Skip did and be successful with 10 winning seasons out of 17 the best if any Maine coach since 1949 then I will make the venture out to watch Maine play. Until then I am just going to watch the UMaine Non-Mainers Teams and coaches on line. Although when the weather is good in October I wil probably take in the exhibition games at the CIC and "The Pit".

Also, I have been waiting for cataracts to ripen so my long distance vision is not good I can actually see better watching on line then I can in a gym. Even watching some Bangor home games this season it was hard vision wise and things were blurrier at a distance then closeup like the computer.

So there now you know one of the other of biggest of the several reasons why I refer to watch the games on line.

1. So media pass which I was wrong about
2. Cataracts
3. Cold and Snow weather
4. My age

are 4 of the 7 reasons I don't go in person. There are 3 other reasons does someone want to start guessing the other 3. Make that 2 as I gave you another reason in the first paragraph of this post.

Just can't seem to relate well or get interested in an University of Non-Mainers men's basketball program that is 16-95 against D-1 competition the past 3 plus years.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Linguist: Where is Calixe, transferred out? Playing in high school and in college, coaching, officiating (until I was 75) made the Maine winters go faster, But now that I am just writing and don't have too much time left in the game of life I enjoy staying home with my wife of 58 years and my cat now that I am in the overtime of my basketball life and seeing I can hook my computer up to my big screen TV if I so choose it is just easier staying our warm comfortable home then going to watch the University of Maine's Non-Mainers play in person.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics