Walsh's contract

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Walsh's contract

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:28 am

I went back to look at the particulars on Bob Walsh when he first took the job.
No sense in deliberating the obvious. It is what it is ...

Finally, on Tuesday, Walsh signed a four-year contract that will bring him to Orono to replace Ted Woodward, who was dismissed April 14 after a 6-23 season.

At the age of 42, Walsh is getting his chance to lead one of the nation’s 351 Division I men’s basketball programs.

“He is excited about the challenge and being able to put his mark on the program,” UMaine Athletic Director Karlton Creech said Wednesday. “He’s got that experience of how to build a program, and I think that’s where we are when you look at our win total. I think we are in a rebuilding situation.”

Walsh spent the past nine seasons bringing Rhode Island College into national prominence in Division III. His teams went 204-63 and played in the past eight Division III NCAA tournaments.

Walsh’s salary was $64,235 in 2013, according to an online database of Rhode Island public employees’ salaries. His contract at UMaine calls for him to earn $100,000 in the first year, rising to $105,000, $110,000 and $120,000 in subsequent seasons.

There are some notable differences between Walsh’s deal and that of his predecessor. For example:

• Walsh doesn’t get membership in a country club or use of a courtesy car.

• He will receive a $3,500 bonus if the Black Bears win the America East Conference regular-season championship, and a $5,000 bonus if they reach the NCAA tournament – something the program has never done.

• If the university fires Walsh without cause, he will be entitled to all of his remaining salary.

• Walsh must provide 30 days’ notice if he intends to resign. If he leaves for another Division I head coaching job, he must pay Maine a year’s salary.

Walsh was interviewed Friday and offered the job the same day. The two sides worked out the details of the contract until Tuesday afternoon. An introductory news conference for the new coach is planned for Friday afternoon at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.

“I always wanted a coaching job where I could be comfortable and I could stay forever. I never wanted to chase the game,” Walsh said.
basketball_guy

Re: Walsh's contract

Postby imposter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:46 am

imposter

Re: Walsh's contract

Postby mainejeff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 am

basketball_guy wrote:
“I always wanted a coaching job where I could be comfortable and I could stay forever." Walsh said.

He isn't comfortable with this job & he definitely is not staying forever (thank god!).
mainejeff

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics