UMaine women live by 11-20 3's beat UML 69-51

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine women live by 11-20 3's beat UML 69-51

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

UMaine women continue to live by the three (win) or die by the three (lose) s they connected on 11 for 20 3 pointers for 55% and only took 34.5% of their FGA's as 3's on 20 of 58. UML was content to only take 8 3 attempts and only made 1 for 12.5% and just 18.6% of their FGA's as threes.

However, Maine was outscored in the paint 38 to 14 which means if they had had a poor day shooting the 3's they would have been in trouble as they had problems stopping UML in the paint.UML did not have an above average floor spacing set up to get the ball to the paint but still managed to out score the Bears by 24 points.

Maine shot 25 for 58 from the floor for 43.1%, while the Riverhawks shot 21 of 43 for 48.8%. From the line Maine went 8 for 10 for 80% and UML was 8 for 9 for 88.9%.

Maine had 9 assist on their 2 FG's made UML had 8 on their 20 hoops.

Maine had 29 rebounds UML 27

Turnovers Maine 10 UML 18

Personal fouls Maine 10 UML 11

Blanca Millan had 22 with 4-6 from 3 point land Saar and Rossignol added 11 each. Tanesha Sutton sat out the game with a sore foot.

Gibbs had 15 and Rudolph had 15 to pace the Riverhawks.

Maine was hot from beyond the arc but could not stop UML in the paint, but the 3 point shooting over shadowed their poor inside defense today although they limited the Hawks to just 51 points which is a good defensive effort.

But if Maine had shot poorly beyond the arc today and by giving UML 38 points of their 51 points in the paint and being outscored by 24 points in the paint it still shows that if Maine is going to live or die by the three this season. If they cannot stop teams interior inside games as they have no inside- inside-outside or dribble penetration games to get open 3 looks themselves when they are cold from beyond the ARTic. it is going to be a big gamble in the one and done win or go home tourney time to count on being hot from beyond the ARTic in 3 consecutive tournament games.

Maaine moves to 7-2 in conference play and UML falls to 0-8.

Maine's next game this Saturday at 1:00pm when they travel to Binghhamton to meet the Bearcats, who beat the Blackears in overtime atthe Cross Insurance Center in Bangor 66-62.
bcbc55

Re: UMaine women live by 11-20 3's beat UML 69-51

Postby coachr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm

So Bob, you're telling me the team that pounded it in the paint lost to a team that chucked it from 3 land. Doesn't that go against your theory? Also, just like a team can live and die by the 3, can't a team live and die by pounding it in the paint? Can post players not have an off night too?

Coach Rossignol
coachr

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

coachr wrote:So Bob, you're telling me the team that pounded it in the paint lost to a team that chucked it from 3 land. Doesn't that go against your theory? Also, just like a team can live and die by the 3, can't a team live and die by pounding it in the paint? Can post players not have an off night too?

Coach Rossignol

Coach: I'll take my chances of the odds of having an off game in the paint compared to an off night shooting threes anytime. Besides UML had a terrible floor spacing to eliminate the double teams and they still had 38 points in the paint. They had 43 FGA attempts and only 8 were threes and they made 1 that's 3 of their 51 points and they made 8 foul shots so 3 plus 8 is 11 points that leaves UML with 40 points and 38 of those 40 points were in the paint compared to Maine's 14 points in the paint and we don't know how many of those 8 foul shots UML made were from fouls in the paint or in the act of shooting. And UMass-Lowell is not a very good team playing in the An

All I am saying as I did in my column Tuesday, Maine has two weaknesses they take too many 3's and don't have a good offensive set to get the ball inside enough to go inside-outside and have enough dribble penetration to get better 3 looks and they are not big enough to defend the post if a team goes inside enough and UML had a tough time finishing their shots from the power alley and if Maine had gone 4 for 20 instead of 11 of 20 and they have gone as poorly as 3 for twenty they would have lost this game to a very poor team. I just don't like living and dying by the three. Maine in there 8 loses are shooting just 25.5% for 3's and taking 46.6% of their FGA's as threes.

It is to BIG OF A GAMBLE for me to live by the three and die by the three in the one and done win or go home season.

Just a case of "Different basketball stroke for different basketball folks" or "what floats somebody's else's basketball boat doesn't necessarily float my basketball boat". I would rather play the percentages and the combination of abusing the 3 and not being able to defend your opponents inside game is just too dangerous a combination for this old senior citizen basketball junkie like me when it comes to the one and done, win or go home time.

"When your hot your hot (and you may win), when your not your not (and you may lose)". Just look at Maine's stats for the 3 in their 8 losses compared to their 14 wins.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Five game win streak and great to see Parise with 11 points. She's really beginning to blossom!
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

fromthebench wrote:Five game win streak and great to see Parise with 11 points. She's really beginning to blossom!
i

from "(John Wooden's coaches best friend") the bench: I agree, but living by the three (win) die by the three (lose) is not a good gamble come the one and done season as it is win or go home. By the way I can't remember which one it is but its about the Maine men's basketball team but you haven't answered my question on UMaine men's basketball"from (the John Wooden's coaches best friend) the bench." I'll try to look it up.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm

Well, I read Wooden's book when I was younger. He had a 7 foot center named Bill Walton who he played in the high post. (foul line) he didn't like having players under the basket as it clogged things up. His high post offense (lots of cuts) was interesting for sure. Walton was the best passing big ever in my book.
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 pm

fromthebench wrote:Well, I read Wooden's book when I was younger. He had a 7 foot center named Bill Walton who he played in the high post. (foul line) he didn't like having players under the basket as it clogged things up. His high post offense (lots of cuts) was interesting for sure. Walton was the best passing big ever in my book.

fromthebench: I always used Wooden's best quote about the "A coaches best friend is the bench" for my teams for 33 years. He should have said the following though: "A coaches best friend is the WOODEN bench". Not to advertise his name but to make sure the bench was hard with possible splinters and not like the soft individual chairs they use now which are to comfortable.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics