Belichick and Men's basketball

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Belichick and Men's basketball

Postby fromthebench » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Was just reading a nice article about Bill Belichick and the one number that proves he's the smartest guy in the league. The number is 18... What does it stand for? Out of 53 players on the roster 18 were undrafted. Far and away the most in the league. (9 is next highest) That's one third of the roster of the best franchise in the league. He finds the overlooked and undervalued talent and evaluates them without bias.

Now on to men's basketball. We've heard time and time again that kids from Maine aren't good enough. (Hogwash) Evaluating players is more than a star rating from an out of state website, it's more than measurements and it's more than statistics. What it comes down to is...Can they play?(from the neck up) Are they coachable? Are they loyal? Are they going to work hard and stick around?

I read another post about a "generational" point guard in Portland this year. (their words not mine, though I agree) Someone who from the neck up is a 5 star recruit in my book. We need someone like Belichick who can look beyond the measurements and "star" ratings and get some players who can play, are coachable, loyal and will stick around. You'll find them in Maine. IMO
fromthebench

Re: Belichick and Men's basketball

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

fromthebench wrote:Was just reading a nice article about Bill Belichick and the one number that proves he's the smartest guy in the league. The number is 18... What does it stand for? Out of 53 players on the roster 18 were undrafted. Far and away the most in the league. (9 is next highest) That's one third of the roster of the best franchise in the league. He finds the overlooked and undervalued talent and evaluates them without bias.

Now on to men's basketball. We've heard time and time again that kids from Maine aren't good enough. (Hogwash) Evaluating players is more than a star rating from an out of state website, it's more than measurements and it's more than statistics. What it comes down to is...Can they play?(from the neck up) Are they coachable? Are they loyal? Are they going to work hard and stick around?

I read another post about a "generational" point guard in Portland this year. (their words not mine, though I agree) Someone who from the neck up is a 5 star recruit in my book. We need someone like Belichick who can look beyond the measurements and "star" ratings and get some players who can play, are coachable, loyal and will stick around. You'll find them in Maine. IMO

fromthebench: I couldn't agree more as I have said that for years .

In recruiting Maine kids do it in this order recruit good human being first, high basketball IQ players second, coachability third and basketball players fourth and athleticism last.

Get two Mainers a year, 2 in and 2 out every class. Recruit 3 out of state players that meet the needs that Maine players don't provide usually size, have walk on tryouts on campus as you need 3 players to fill roster of 14. That means 11 scholarship players and 3 walk ons. Keep 2 scholarships available at all times.

When recruiting Maine kids tell the recruit and their parents that Maine really and truly want him and that he can help the program, but if the player wants to be a D-1 impact player by his sophomore year that he has got to go to prep school for a year after high school.

Also tell them that if Maine loses the player because he goes higher up the D-1 ladder that Maine will be very disappointed but will be happy for the player as you the recruiter are interested more in what is in the best interest of the individual recruityou are recruiting then you are Maine's team.

No other recruiter will tell the player and his parents that believe me as I have had that experience of recruiters telling players that they shouldn't or don't need to go to prep school.

They don't tell them the real reason not to go to prep school is that they are afraid they may lose them to someone else.

Being honest right up front by telling the player and his parents you are first interested in the players future not Maine who you are recruiting for. You also tell them that if they go elsewhere and want to come back to Maine to just give you a call to discuss that usually Maine has those 2 scholarships left over in your hip pocket. You would be surprised what up front honesty will do, it just might get the player that you told to go to prep school right after his year of prep.

Using the above method for recruiting Maine players you certainly couldn't do any worse then has happened the last 3 plus seasons of 23-92 overall nd 15-92 vs. D-1 competition which is the worst 3 plus 115 or 107 W-L record in the school's history since 1949 and probably since basketball started at UMaine.

From ("John Wooden's coaches best friend is") the bench":

What do you think of that for a recruiting procedure in recruiting and trying to get the 2 Maine players that fit that, good human being first, high basketball IQ second, coachabilty third, basketball player 4th and athleticism last and telling the recruits that Maine is more interested in THEIR D-1 basketball future then you are Maine's?
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 am

Yet Mainers don't even always stick around for their full 4/5 years.

Mark Socoby quit to play Intramural ball. Glad he finally got his title.

Jordan Cook quit to do whatever.

So let's not keep blathering on about Maine kids being the answer and they will stay in Orono for their full duration.
Linguist

Postby thebam » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 am

Good lord. Here we go again. Rinse and recycle the same ole tiresome argument.
Yawn. Seriously. Who was the last player FROM Maine, to play at Maine and actually have an impact on the program?
Bedard? Jeff Cross? That might be the list.
thebam

Postby fafan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am

thebam wrote:Good lord. Here we go again. Rinse and recycle the same ole tiresome argument.
Yawn. Seriously. Who was the last player FROM Maine, to play at Maine and actually have an impact on the program?

Way more recent than that, just 15 yrs ago Joe Campbell made an impact ;)
fafan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 pm

thebam wrote:Good lord. Here we go again. Rinse and recycle the same ole tiresome argument.

thebm: Jeff Cross was from New Hampshire.

2009-10 Try Barnies, Sean McNally and Bernal last winning season 19-10,
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 pm

bcbc55 wrote:

thebm: Jeff Cross was from New Hampshire.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't there a Jeff from Old Town back in the 70s? Tall kid?
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:09 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

thebam: Jeff Cross was from New Hampshire.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't there a Jeff from Old Town back in the 70s? Tall kid?

thebam:Your welcome for the clarification. That was Jeff Sturgeon from Old Town.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics