UMaine men's BB still searching for consistency

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine men's BB still searching for consistency

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm

You will find this article written and aired by Andrew Badillo for Fox news Bangor Channel 7, and it is channel 8 on your cable., under" MBB vs, UML Wed. 1/31...7:00pm." here on this thread for UMaine D1 Athletics.

It is an interview with UMaine men's basketball head coach Bob Walsh in his search for more consistency from his 5-18 Bears overall, 3-18 against D-1 competition and 2-6 in conference play currently tied for 8th place with UMass-Lowell their opponent for Wednesday night at the CIC in Bangor.

As Walsh searches for this consistency it is right before his very eyes and the eyes of his coaching staff. I am afraid they just can't see the Maine forest for the Maine trees.

After beating UNH in a game that they played 7 players double figure minutes for the entire game and the first half of their last game in leading UMBC 36-35 at the half and only used 5 players double figure minutes and then in the second half when UMBC out scored Maine 31-6 to take a 66-42 lead Maine played 10 players in the second half and only 4 played double figure minutes. It was Varsity college ball in the first half and intramural college ball in the second half with everybody getting to play.

The common denominator of the THREE SUCCESSFUL halves, the 2 against vs. UNH and the first half of the UMBC game which they were ahead of both teams 105 to 103 was that they USED 7 PLAYERS DOUBLE FIGURE MINUTES in the UNH game and 5 in the first half in the second half of the UMBC game.

The reason they played well in those 3 halves is because their better players (minus Er out with injury in UNH game played only 10 minutes vs. UMBC) got to stay on the floor more time then they have in the past 3 plus seasons up until the UNH game and the first half of the UMBC game.

I have repeatedly stated here on MBR and in my BDN "Off the Rim Column" and on my BDN BLOG that when the better players on a team do not get enough playing time they have a tendency to take themselves to the game instead of letting the game come to them. Thus, they have a big tendency to play from the shoulders down relying on their individual athleticism instead of their basketball IQ's which leads to the players deciding who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from, which leads to overuse of the 3, poor shot selection in general, many more turnovers like the 24 in loss to UMBC after averaging 15 game), increase in player out of control fouls, known today as player control fouls and more defensive fouls.

Maine only played 4 players double figure minutes in the second half of the UMBC game. They also used 10 players until the very end when 2 more got to play.

FOR THE MORE CONSISTENCY THAT WALSH IS LOOKING FOR JUST PLAY CALIXE, ER, AND WHITE 35 MINUTES EACH, Lowndes and Fleming 30 piece, their your starters and play Ilija and Evans as your two subs 20 minutes each. AND THAT IS IT UNLESS THERE IS FOUL TROUBLE, INJURY, POOR PLAY, ETC.

Maine has cut the 3's back like they should have so they are all set there if they continue on with what they did the past 2 games.

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON IT, USE JUST THE 7 PLAYERS LISTED ABOVE DOUBLE FIGURE MINUTES. PLEASE, YOU CERTAINLY CAN'T DO ANY WORSE THEN THE 2ND HALF AGAINST UMBC COMPARED TO THE 2 HALVES AGAINST UNH.

Good luck Maine men in that important game against UML on Wednesday as Maine fights to stay out of 9th and 8th places.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: UMaine men's BB still searching for consistency

Postby Muchups » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

I love basketball, especially at the high school and college levels but I have no interest in watching or reading about this Maine team.

Additionally, analysis is simple. They are losing because they are one of the least talented teams in all of division one. It really doesn't need to go much deeper than that. I wouldn't be surprised if an all D2 team made up of Mainers could beat this current UMO team.
Muchups

Re: UMaine men's BB still searching for consistency

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Muchups wrote:I love basketball, especially at the high school and college levels but I have no interest in watching or reading about this Maine team.

Additionally, analysis is simple. They are losing because they are one of the least talented teams in all of division one. It really doesn't need to go much deeper than that. I wouldn't be surprised if an all D2 team made up of Mainers could beat this current UMO team.

"Muchups" I agree to disagree. When they reduced the 3's taken from 25 a game to 19 vs. UNH and played only 7 players they were a good America East Conference team as they beat a good solid UNH D-1 team.

The same for the first half against UMBC took only 16 threes for the entire game and played 5 players double figure minutes and played well again and then came the second half intramural ball and Maine was back to it's normal self of the past 3 seasons and 21 games.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics