Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB at UMass - Lowell, Wed. 1/31. 11:00 AM

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:27 am

Defense fuels 4-game winning streak for UMaine women’s basketball team

...UMaine has won four straight America East games and has limited its opponents to 45.35 points per game during the run.

Fort the season, UMaine ranks 22nd in Division I in scoring defense, allowing 56.2 points per contest.

“We work on defense every single day,” said UMaine interim head coach Amy Vachon. “We have a really smart group. They know that when someone scores on us, it’s usually the result of a breakdown and whoever had the breakdown is the first one to say ‘This is what happened. It’s my (fault).”

UMaine’s 69-36 victory over the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Sunday has lowered its America East scoring defense number to a league-low 52.6.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/29/s ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 am

The Maine Campus
@TheMaineCampus
The Women's Basketball team extend their winning streak to five after two more games. Read more about their performance here: https://buff.ly/2EnjEQs
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 am

Maine women's basketball thriving on defense

ORONO - The most overused sports cliche of all-time...defense wins championships.

But it rings true for Maine women's basketball as it has been playing champion caliber basketball of late, thanks to its defense.

Maine is holding its opponents to 45 points per game during its four game win streak and is outscoring them by an average of 17 points per game.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... on-defense
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 am

Black Bears Travel to UMass Lowell for Wednesday Matinée

...SCOUTING UMASS LOWELL:
The River Hawks, who start three freshmen, are currently cemented in the midst of a 12-game losing skid, dating back to their last win on Dec. 7, a 66-60 decision at Saint Peter's. UMass Lowell, who is 2-7 at home, ranks last in the league in scoring defense (71.4 ppg) and check in 342 out of 349 Division-I teams in turnovers per game (21.2). Maine's three-point success will look to take advantage of a UMass Lowell three-point defense which ranks last in the America East, allowing opponents to cash in at a 33.6 percent rate.

Kayla Gibbs, who has nine double-doubles on the year, leads the way for the River Hawks. Gibbs ranks ninth in the league in scoring (12.3) and third in rebounding (9.3), nearly averaging a double-double. Gibbs, whose 58.9% mark from the floor is tops in the league, has been particularly impressive on the offensive glass where she ranks 14th nationally at 4.4 per game. Paula Lopez is adding 9.2 points and leads the River Hawks with 2.7 assists per game.

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2018/1 ... tin-e.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:49 am

#AEHoops
@AEHoopsNews
Interim HC @coachamyvachon of @BlackBearsWBB discusses how the team came together and believed in the process while they overcame adversity in the 2016-17 season.
watch video: https://twitter.com/AEHoopsNews/status/ ... 1928179712
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby fafan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Maine wins 69-51 over UML as the gym was packed with kids. Probably not a bad idea as I remember the UML gym being more like a morgue usually. Maine shoots 55% from the three, that's a lot of Bingo's. Boy it is hard to listen to Don Shields in the office as he gets vocal to say the least(LOL).
Milan w/ 22 pts, Rossignol with 11pts, Saar 11 pts 7 rbs and 6 assists and Brosseau with 9pts.
fafan

Postby turkeyman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Fafan, it was quite a day with 4,100 people there. And every one of them younger than me! The wbb team at Lowell moved (at least some of) its home games this year to the Tsongas Center. The old court on the south campus would never have accommodated today's crowd. Last year, Maine played at Lowell on a Wednesday night, and there were 25 people at the old gym. I counted them. The year before, it was 33. Today was quite a contrast.

Every game is unique in one way or another. Today, I thought what was unique was that Lowell scored about 10 points off its own mistakes. For example, a Lowell kid would lose control of the ball, a Maine kid would go for the loose ball but not get a firm grip on it, another Lowell kid would snag the ball, find herself open and drop in a bunny. That happened probably three times in the first half, two in the second. See the video that Tom posted on this thread for an example, with Fanny swatting away a pass and Lowell winding up with an uncontested layup. Lowell was very opportunistic in converting on its own mistakes.

One of the things I like most about this Maine team is that no one is going by formula. The coaches don't say, "We have to play seven people at least 20 minutes each," or "We should shoot 30 threes today." The coaches are very situational, so today they responded to the game that Lowell presented them. The tale of the game may be that Lowell didn't respond so well to the game Maine presented. Lowell did adjust its offense in the second quarter, going more to its bigs, and that caused Maine some problems. But it did not adjust to stop Blanca, and she went off like a rocket in the first half. Second half, she hit her usual dry spell and didn't score nearly so well.

Blanca was hot from downtown, less so close in, and with Dor, Maddy and Parise also dropping treys, Maine had more than enough firepower. Note that Fanny took only one three today (missed) and was 3-5 inside the arc. At UNH she was shooting from all over the court, but after a hot first half, she cooled off. So, again, coaching to the situation. Fanny backs off on long shots, the kids who are hot keep looking for their shot and Maine shoots 55 percent on treys.

Lowell had some success with its bigs, so again KJ and Fanny teamed up and Maine started fronting No. 1 and No. 21. Both are wide bodies, and Maine had some difficulty handling them, but the fronting started creating turnovers late in the second and fourth quarters. KJ got 23 minutes, Fanny 34 and Kira 4. This is the second time recently that KJ and Fanny have been on the court together a lot. Fanny is improving on her tendency to foul, and she is quick and has really strong court sense. Seems to me her ball handling is improving, too, but I would have to look at stats to be sure of that.

Hard to see how UMBC beat this Lowell team. I believe Lowell is quite a bit better than its record. And, it lost to Albany by only three. It's a young team, and it should get better. There may be a surprise or two in store for some of the top AE teams (Bingo, Albany, UNH, Maine, Stony Brook). It has already played Hartford twice. How often do you shoot 50 percent and lose? Lowell did today, and those 18 turnovers, many of them forced by Maine, probably made the difference, along with Maine's slim edge in rebounds but strong edge in offensive rebounds.

Folks who follow the women's game have probably seen that bigs are not dominating as they did five years ago. So many teams are playing three- and four-guard sets that Rebecca Lobo wrote a piece on ESPN last month saying that bigs are still needed, even though they aren't carrying the game these days. Lowell had only three six-footers to Maine's four. I believe UMBC had four. UNH shows five on its roster, but Ashley Storey isn't playing this year and Ahearn and Bassett-Smith did not play against Maine, so UNH was down to just two six-footers. That is going on all over the women's game. Maine's six, four of whom transferred out, last year was a lot. The Maine men don't appear particularly tall, to me, but I don't know if that is happening around the country.

I don't lament Maine's lack of height particularly. After all, who was the leading rebounder today? Oh, yeah, the 5-6 kid from Israel. Dor. I only remember one of her seven boards being a long carom from a three-point shot, and I remember twice when she was in the scrum and came away with the ball.

Point is, you dance with them that you brung in, and Maine has brung in a team with some (not blinding) speed, some size, quite a bit of quickness, shooting -- someone is almost always going to be hot, you just have to figure out early who it (or they) may be -- really strong work ethic, really smart and more athletic than you might think on first glance. The coaches are adjusting each game and within each game, and it is going well.

Maine is not particularly deep, but with Tanesha out -- she didn't look to be limping or anything, so maybe she had a cold -- Parise stepped up nicely. She has learned so much about defense, her court sense was always strong, and she is mixing up her shots well. Couple of short jumpers from the base line today, one trey. And she seemed to be right in the thick of things much of the time. Also, without T, Maine wasn't strong in the low post on offense, which put more load on the guards and they stepped up well. Hope T is back for Bingo on Saturday.

One sour note. The Maine fans were put in the end zone, row 1. Not terrible seats in a basketball building but in a hockey rink like the Tsongas, those seats are 40 feet from the floor. Then, they set up bleachers between our seats and the court, so we had to move higher to see over a sea of kids in the end zone bleachers. A guy from the company that operates the Tsongas came over and asked us if we wanted to sit in the sky box at mid-court, and most of us moved up there. Really good seats. Nice guy. I could not find a program anywhere in the building. I saw a couple of ushers with their own copies, but I didn't see any fans with a scorecard, and I walked the entire building looking. I had asked one usher where our section was and she said, "I think it's down there somewhere." That made me reluctant to ask about programs. Who knows what they might have said.

Lowell did a really good job on kids' day. They had some kind of contest for kids at every full timeout. They had a sort of "cheering clinic" at halftime and several hundred kids went onto the floor to learn some cheerleader moves. And they held the kids' attention with displays on the scoreboard oriented toward young people. I'd love to see Maine do some of that stuff on kids' day.

Bingo, then Hartford, then UNH in six days. Tough stretch coming up, but UH and UNH are at home. These next three games will go a long way toward determining where Maine finishes.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 am

T-Man: On line broadcasters said Sutton out with foot injury.
bcbc55

UMaine women's hoops rolls against UMass Lowell

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:29 am

UMaine women's hoops rolls against UMass Lowell
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... ass-lowell
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics