Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: MBB vs UMass-Lowell Wed 1/31.... 7:00 PM

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 am

Maine men's basketball still searching for consistency

ORONO - Maine men's basketball has shown glimpses of brilliance this season, but it has also shown why it is currently a team sitting in the cellar of America East.

Saturday's 86-74 loss to UMBC was just a microcosm of Maine's inconsistent play.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... onsistency
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 am

Maine Basketball
@BlackBearMBB
Maine heads back home to @CICBangor tomorrow to face UMass Lowell!
Get your tickets and read the game preview
preview: : http://bit.ly/2FwURJ8
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:28 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: UMass Lowell soars past UMaine men’s basketball team

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 am

Coach Walsh often plays 10 players because he is searching for answers. That was the case against Lowell. Maine could not matchup against Thomas. They tried Fleming, Majstorovic and Evans and no one could guard him. They were also struggling to fight through screens to close out on Lowell’s shooters. Jones and Harris were absolutely killing Maine. Meanwhile, Calixte struggled in the first half. I believe he missed his first 3 attempts. Maine really struggled shooting the ball as a team. Walsh tried several combinations but no one stepped up. My criticism with the game plan was that Maine did not attack the interior more against an undersized Lowell team. They did not attack the rim off dribble penetration enough. Fleming had some early success, but Maine did not go to him enough in my opinion. The major issue was Maine’s poor defense. They could not get stops. Walsh tried several defensive schemes and nothing seemed to slow down the River Hawks.
Blind Zebra

Re: UMass Lowell soars past UMaine men’s basketball team

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Coach Walsh often plays 10 players because he is searching for answers. That was the case against Lowell. Maine could not matchup against Thomas. They tried Fleming, Majstorovic and Evans and no one could guard him. They were also struggling to fight through screens to close out on Lowell’s shooters. Jones and Harris were absolutely killing Maine. Meanwhile, Calixte struggled in the first half. I believe he missed his first 3 attempts. Maine really struggled shooting the ball as a team. Walsh tried several combinations but no one stepped up. My criticism with the game plan was that Maine did not attack the interior more against an undersized Lowell team. They did not attack the rim off dribble penetration enough. Fleming had some early success, but Maine did not go to him enough in my opinion. The major issue was Maine’s poor defense. They could not get stops. Walsh tried several defensive schemes and nothing seemed to slow down the River Hawks.

Blind Zebra: Another insightful, informative, interesting and timely evaluative post about UMaine men's basketball.

1. He could have used some of those 11 transfers, who would probably beat this Maine team, in searching for the defensive answers.

2. Especially for the defensive answers for guarding Thomas.

3. Do you suppose Maine ever heard about switching on all screens to the ball in trying to stop Harris and Jones and not trying to fight through screens?

4. When you let the players, NOT THE SYSTEM, determine who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot from you are going to have bad shooting nights, just don't have them in the one and done win or go home season, if you get there this year?

5. Maine under this regime has never had an inside game, an inside-outside game or a dribble penetration game to get open 3 looks since they came here 3 years and 8 months ago.

6. I always thought you went with the hot hand until it was stopped and then something else opened up

7. When you are so unsuccessful as Maine has been the past 3 plus years of 15-93 against D-1 competition, defense gets defined as "the time that from you ran back to the other team's front court and let them shoot as quickly as possible so that Maine can get the ball back to let the Maine players decide who shoots next". Ever notice Maine's assist to Field Goals Made ratio, not too high or good. That means there are few passes for assists, it also means too much one on one where there are not many assists. Right now their assist to turnover ratio is ranked last in the conference at 0.76.

Enjoyed your insightful, important, interesting and timely posts, as I usually do whenever you post.

Just my comments to your excellent comments and just adding my opinions to your thoughtful thoughts.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics