Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 am

After Wednesday nights win over a good, solid UNH team 69-68 I posted a thread that said the coaching staff deserved more credit for the win then the players did because of 2 coaching moves that they made that proved to be the difference in how the players performed. Now a game later they deserve more blame for the 86-74 loss to UMBC than the players do.

What a difference a couple of days and a half of basketball can make.

The reason is all they had to do was to do something that the opponents could have no say in the move and that was to play no more than 7 players double figure playing minutes.

The players took less that 28% of their FGA's as threes and shot 37.6% from beyond the arc in their 12 point loss to UMBC Saturday meeting that necessary move that they made against UNH.

Leading by 1 36-35 at the half after only playing 6 players double figure minutes the game substitution needed plan Maine had a very good half making it 3 halves in a row.

Somehow at half-time the substitution plan got changed from using just 6 or 7 players double figure minutes as 8 players played double figure minutes and 1 player played 9 and 1 played 8.

First half:.......2nd Half
5 played 10+....4 played 10+
1 played 7.......1 played 8
1 played 6.......1 played 6
1 played 4.......3 played 5
1 played 3.......1 played 4
....................1 played 3
....................1 played 1
9 played.........12 played

When this happened all of a sudden the players reverted back to playing from the shoulders down which led to making poor basketball decisions again by having the players decide who shoots, when they shoot and where they shot from, which led to very poor shot selection, also increased turnovers 24 from 15 a game. This was caused by the players relying on their athleticism and not their basketball IQ's. Maine went to what they have been doing for the past 3 plus years and they had another horrendous half as they fell behind by 22 points quickly in the second half, only to regroup and cut the lead to 11 before falling by 12 86-74.

Let's hope they continue the 3 point offense adjustment they have made for 2 straight games and go back to using just 6 or 7 players double figure minutes.

This loss really belongs to ever it was idea to use more than 6 or 7 players double figure playing minutes in the second half.

In these types of situations it falls on the head of the head coach as he is responsible for the final word as he returned to being "the supervisor of substitutions" instead of the coach he was in the UNH game.

What do you think will happen next game?
1. will they keep their 3 game under control?
2. Will they use more than 6 or 7 players double figure minutes?
3. will they commit 24 turnovers?

when they meet UMass-Lowell 2-6 tied with Maine for 7th place next Wednesday at home at the CIC in Bangor in a battle for 7th or 8th place and try to stay out of that dreaded 9th spot which if you finish there there will be no AE tournament game for that team.

Stay tuned as you just now don't know which team or coach will show up for 2 complete halves.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Postby aechamps » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 am

Of course they had to play more players because V. Lowndes jr fouled out.......
aechamps
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 am

Re: Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm

aechamps wrote:Of course they had to play more players because V. Lowndes jr fouled out.......


aechamps: Your right. Yes he did, but he was only one player and the game was well over when he did also. Right back to intramural substituting.If this keeps up with "Walsh" being the "supervisor of subs" then they will be better off if they do finish 9th. But that would probably better than finishing 8th and having to go to Vermont again.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Postby thebam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
aechamps wrote:Of course they had to play more players because V. Lowndes jr fouled out.......


aechamps: Your right. Yes he did, but he was only one player and the game was well over when he did also. Right back to intramural substituting.If this keeps up with "Walsh" being the "supervisor of subs" then they will be better off if they do finish 9th. But that would probably better than finishing 8th and having to go to Vermont again.

Are you really suggesting that missing the playoffs would somehow be better than making the playoffs? Seriously? Wow. You say some crazy stuff sometimes, but this takes it to a whole new level.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Whose to blame for UMBC loss? Coaches or Players

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:21 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
aechamps wrote:Of course they had to play more players because V. Lowndes jr fouled out.......


aechamps: Your right. Yes he did, but he was only one player and the game was well over when he did also. Right back to intramural substituting.If this keeps up with "Walsh" being the "supervisor of subs" then they will be better off if they do finish 9th. But that would probably better than finishing 8th and having to go to Vermont again.

Are you really suggesting that missing the playoffs would somehow be better than making the playoffs? Seriously? Wow. You say some crazy stuff sometimes, but this takes it to a whole new level.


thebam: I have said before that I am an unorthodox basketball thinker so noth9ng should surprise anyone on what I post about. However, that one was done as a "tongue in check" remark, however it sure is a long trip to Burlington to get hammered like they did a few weeks ago on January 15th to be exact 83-62.

Now, the bam, if you guarantee me, that Maine takes no more that 25% of their Field goal attempts as threes, shooting better than 36% for threes, Walsh starts. Calixe, Er both play 35 minutes Lowndes, White, Fleming play 30 and subs Evans and Iljla S. play 20 each and they are the only 7 to play unless there is foul trouble, injuries, illness, poor play, etc and they don't commit 24 turnovers again then I will say that it woud be better to finish 8th and have to play Vermont then to finish 9th and not make the tourney. However, can YOU, BAM, can you guarantee those 4 things??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I don't think so, so I will stay with my statement unless those 4 things should happen then it would give them a chance, a slim chance at that, to make a game of it with Vermont at Burlington.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am


Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fafan, thebam and 69 guests