Slow second half start plagues Maine in 86-74 loss to UMBC

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Calixte having career year for Maine men's basketball

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 am

Calixte having career year for Maine men's basketball

ORONO - When Maine men's basketball head coach Bob Walsh watches redshirt junior guard Aaron Calixte, he knows the result will normally be the same.

"Every time he shoots I think it's going in."

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... basketball
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Slow second half start plagues Maine in 86-74 loss to UM

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:59 am

Re: MBB at UMBC Jan 27, 1 pm
Unread postby mainejeff » 27 Jan 2018 18:55

Maine is actually not painful to watch today.

White & Lowndes are pretty good players to build around.

Araujo
Calixte
White
Lowndes
Fleming

That seems like the best line-up to put out there on the floor.

Maine has a solid core for next year if they all return....if they all stick together....if and when
a new Coach is named....I thought Bob Simon could be the answer....although to be honest
I am not sure what the answer is. After seeing Wes Myer play as a starting guard and grad student
at South Carolina knowing that this is the SEC...I am convinced that with the right Coaching Maine
could play with anyone if they keep this core of kids and bring in someone who can make a difference
as a Coach....

Kreech is going to have to do some serious evaluations at the end of this season as well as what he
intends to do going forward. I hope he brings in the GM of the Maine Red Claws to serve on a search
committee because that guy knows how to evaluate talent as well as Coaches at the Division 1 level
and he is close by.
basketball_guy

Re: Slow second half start plagues Maine in 86-74 loss to UM

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 am

basketball_guy wrote:Re: MBB at UMBC Jan 27, 1 pm
Unread postby mainejeff » 27 Jan 2018 18:55

Maine is actually not painful to watch today.

White & Lowndes are pretty good players to build around.

Araujo
Calixte
White
Lowndes
Fleming

That seems like the best line-up to put out there on the floor.

Maine has a solid core for next year if they all return....if they all stick together....if and when
a new Coach is named....I thought Bob Simon could be the answer....although to be honest
I am not sure what the answer is. After seeing Wes Myer play as a starting guard and grad student
at South Carolina knowing that this is the SEC...I am convinced that with the right Coaching Maine
could play with anyone if they keep this core of kids and bring in someone who can make a difference
as a Coach....

Kreech is going to have to do some serious evaluations at the end of this season as well as what he
intends to do going forward. I hope he brings in the GM of the Maine Red Claws to serve on a search
committee because that guy knows how to evaluate talent as well as Coaches at the Division 1 level
and he is close by.

basketball_guy: Issac Vann is starting for VCU and averaging 10 points a game. Eke is at Rider, Harewood is at a D-1 college in South Carolina, Little was at Colorado State and transfered to Tennessee at East Martin, Austin Howard is a good player but I don't know where he is, Bernstein is sitting out at Kent State, add Myers to that group and the 11 transfers and 2 coaches that have left the past two seasons and Maine with White, Calixe, Er, Fleming, and Lowndes and you would have a pretty good D-1 team the only thing missing is a good big. Frosh Antoms at 6'9" 245lb was not developed this year but has enough skills so that he could be developed into an adequate post up block player and a rim protector and if Eze ever gets back healthy then you have 2.

I prefer a Mainer, a Maine high player school player, former 2 years as a player at a big time D-1 program, transferred and played 2 years at UMaine and was anassistant coach at UMaine for several seasons and who has been assistant coach at at two very successful D-1 programs since leaving UMaine and moved up at both places as the associate head coach. Both programs have been far more successful then UMaine.

The school he is at now as the associate head coach is currently ranked 78th of the 351 D-1 teams in realtimerpi.com team RPI rankings with a SOS (strength of schedule) ranking of 116 compared to Maines 328 RPI and SOS of 265. His team plays in the 12th ranked conference RPI ranking of the 32 in the country with an SOS of 11th compared to Maine's America East Conference being ranked 24th in conference RPI and 27th in conference SOS. His team is in the major division ahead of the mid major and low major where Maine is ranked in the 3 divisions of D-1 men's college basketball.

He being from Southern Maine would have great high school contacts in the greater Portland area where some of the better D-1 prospects are in Maine over the past few years or at least south of Bangor except for Lee Academy where Calixe, Ilija S, Dusan M. and Antoms played which is just 50 miles north of UMaine at Orono.

Plus, this Mainer is a true Mainer and would stay to build his alma mater up and to be the first coach to get Maine to the "Big Dance" in the program's history.

Plus, I believe money is not the biggest deal for him from what I hear and understand from good sources close to him then it is the Maine job itself because of his background there as a player and as an assistant coach is more important to him as is his loyalty to the University.

I hope he gets an on campus interview as he applied the last time the job was open, but only got a skype interview.

He is very loyal to his Alma Mater and as good a high school and college D-1 player that he was and as good an associate head coach he is, he is an even better human being.

Maine could not make a better choice when the job opens, whenever it is.

If it isn't the Mainer I could live with Bob Simon with his 25 plus years assistant coaching experience (mostly in D-1) being the most experienced assistant coach that the men's Maine program has had it it's history as Maine is not going to get a D-1 Head coach for the money and the location Maine has to offer in comparison to other D-1 programs location and higher salaries. Maine is the last place a current head D-1 coach is going to want to come to unless he is fired and desperate for a job.

Name the last successful D-1 head coach ever to come from out of state and take the UMaine men's basketball head coaching position?

Maine shouldn't hire a fired D-1 coach and it is about time they go with a Mainer since Skip Chappelle was the last Mainer to coach at UMaine and he had the most winning seasons 10 out of 17 and was the third coach with the highest winning percentage and he won using mostly Maine kids and he stayed at UMaine because he was loyal to the University that he played at like my choice is and was the JV and assistant Maine coach also like my candidate was an assistant at UMaine.

Giannini had 4 winning seasons out of 8 and had a winning percentage of 52.9%. Next was Brian McCall 5 winning seasons out of 10 winning percentage 51.6% and Chappelle was third 10 winning seasons out of 17 and a winning percentage of 48.9% All three coaches had Mainers as key performer for their success and Chappelle had the most by far.

Just my opinion based on my watching this program since 1949. Most success has been with coaches that used Maine kids and the most successful one with winning seasons with 58.9 winning percentage of winning seasons compared to Giannini and McCall both at 50% winning seasons.

I hope AD Creech looks at the history of the Maine men's basketball program over the years and when and with who they were the most successful or UMaine could well make another mistake if he doesn't hire the Mainer who since Chappelle would be the only head coach hired at Maine that would not look to use Maine as a stepping stone for his coaching career if successful or not being rehired because of not winning.

If you don't know history it has a way of repeating itself.

It is like doing the same basketball thing over and over and over and over again and expecting different basketball results like the current coaching staff has done for the past 3 plus 23-92... 20.0% winning % overall record and 15-92.... 14.0% winning % record against D-1 competition.

That's just my opinion and my story and I'm sticking to it.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics