UMaine Men Beat UNH 69-68

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Men Beat UNH 69-68

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:35 pm

fromthebench wrote:Agree on all points and play your best players till they drop! Maybe they are listening. If so, get Moss signed quickly at the very least as insurance if Calixte bolts. Hope for the best, plan for the worst I say.

fromthebench: Agree with all you just posted. What about Wes Myers at South Carolina??? UMaine's loss and SC's gain an definitely Wes Myers' gain.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Wes will probably be able to find a job playing basketball somewhere in the world. He is doing very well indeed and I'm not surprised. The guy can score with the best of them.
fromthebench

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:13 am

Maine men's basketball happy with UNH win, ready to get on track

..."I didn't actually know it was such a big deal until I actually got here," he said Thursday. "But I know last night, it was a little more than just a regular game. And hopefully we can play every game with that edge, but I think there was definitely an edge yesterday that we had."

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... t-on-track
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:02 am

Maine Basketball
@BlackBearMBB
"Big time heart, big time effort, big time toughness."
Sights and sounds from our win against UNH #together
video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearMBB/status ... 8840757248
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 am

I'm going to disagree on a couple of points: Araujo played a terrific game against UNH. His defense was outstanding. He made life very difficult for the UNH point guards. He played a very nice floor game as well with 5 assists and only 1 turnover. He has earned starters minutes in the next game with that performance. Er's shot has been very erratic with the exception of a few games ( Binghamton comes to mind). Meanwhile, Vernon Lowndes was a difference maker against UNH when given more minutes. He hit some huge shots and played solid D. Lowndes brings a little more energy and defensive versatility than Er. If Er's shot isn't falling, which it hasn't been, he doesn't offer much else in my opinion. Fleming needs to continue to assert himself offensively. He is very good when he is able to beat other bigs down the court on the break and in the half court when he drives the ball.
I would start that same lineup against UMBC & Lowell.
Araujo
Calixte
White
Stoj
Fleming
Top Subs:
Lowndes
Evans
They need their best defenders on the floor. Both of Maine's next opponents have many capable shooters on the floor and Maine will need to make them uncomfortable with solid man to man D. Zone is a death wish.
I do agree with comments on Bernstein. He could certainly be a useful player this year because of his defense and ability to run the point.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I'm going to disagree on a couple of points: Araujo played a terrific game against UNH. His defense was outstanding. He made life very difficult for the UNH point guards. He played a very nice floor game as well with 5 assists and only 1 turnover. He has earned starters minutes in the next game with that performance. Er's shot has been very erratic with the exception of a few games ( Binghamton comes to mind). Meanwhile, Vernon Lowndes was a difference maker against UNH when given more minutes. He hit some huge shots and played solid D. Lowndes brings a little more energy and defensive versatility than Er. If Er's shot isn't falling, which it hasn't been, he doesn't offer much else in my opinion. Fleming needs to continue to assert himself offensively. He is very good when he is able to beat other bigs down the court on the break and in the half court when he drives the ball.
I would start that same lineup against UMBC & Lowell.
Araujo
Calixte
White
Stoj
Fleming
Top Subs:
Lowndes
Evans
They need their best defenders on the floor. Both of Maine's next opponents have many capable shooters on the floor and Maine will need to make them uncomfortable with solid man to man D. Zone is a death wish.
I do agree with comments on Bernstein. He could certainly be a useful player this year because of his defense and ability to run the point.

BZ: Excellent points, however I will agree to disagree with you on Er and Araujo like you did.

Er is one of those players who needs to be on the floor for extended minutes to play at his full potential. Look at his past record at Maine 20 points in the first half vs. Duke last year and 23 this year in first conference win and 18 again. Give him a chance to play 35 and see what happens.

He is not as athletic as some of the other first 7 in my view so he needs to let the game come to him and not take himself to the game like the others do, but you saw what happened vs. UNH when they got to play extended minutes without being subbed for, they all played much better.

It makes a difference as I said in my BANGOR DAILY NEWS "OFF THE RIM" COLUMN LAST WEEK, PLAYERS NEED TO GET INTO A RHYTHM AND THEY CAN'T DO THAT BEING SUBBED FOR EVERY FEW MINUTES, PLUS THE 4 MEDIA TIMEOUTS PER HALF PLUS WHATEVER TEAM TIMEOUTS (EACH HAS 1 60 AND 4 30'S) ARE USED.

Here's my lucky 7:

Forward 6'6 Er
Forward 6'6' White
Center 6'7" Fleming
Pt Guard 6.0" Calixe
Off Guard 6'5" Lowndes
Subs: 6'7 Ilija S. and 6'5" Evans

Not a big Araujo fan even though I can see some of his plus points as you pointed out so well above. Also, wait until one of the AE teams figure it out that they should post him up on defense then he will be a real liability defensively.

But probably no one will figure that out so Maine can get by with him on the floor so long as he is guarding the opponents smallest player on the curt.

Bernstein was a more complete player then Araujo as he could score and run a team better. 5 assists is OK but for a player who hardly ever shoots and just passes the ball he ought to be around double figures for assists, especially playing over 30 plus minutes a game like he did versus UNH.

Enjoyed your interesting, informative and timely post above.

Blackbear28 (17 minutes with corrections)
bcbc55

Postby cantdothat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Cim: a post of mine from last April.

Re: UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

by cantdothat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Going back around 6 years ago, I had to opportunity to coach Celio Aruajo at Hoop Mountain Basketball Academy in the summer @ Roger Williams University. We were in the junior division of the camp. 
I have very fond memories of Celio.He led us to leave camp as team champions. Infectious positive attitude. Unselfish team player. Needed to improve upon his perimeter shooting. But, his toughness and desire were immeasurable. What I remember most was Celio's defensive ability and have not seen a better man to man on ball defender. 
Now this was 6 years ago and I haven't seen him since. I have followed his progress over the years. Needless to say I was very excited to see his name in the news today. 

Brian McDormand 
Lowell, Maine

PS: we all have favorite players
cantdothat

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 pm

cantdothat wrote:Cim: a post of mine from last April.

Re: UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

by cantdothat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Going back around 6 years ago, I had to opportunity to coach Celio Aruajo at Hoop Mountain Basketball Academy in the summer @ Roger Williams University. We were in the junior division of the camp. 
I have very fond memories of Celio.He led us to leave camp as team champions. Infectious positive attitude. Unselfish team player. Needed to improve upon his perimeter shooting. But, his toughness and desire were immeasurable. What I remember most was Celio's defensive ability and have not seen a better man to man on ball defender. 
Now this was 6 years ago and I haven't seen him since. I have followed his progress over the years. Needless to say I was very excited to see his name in the news today. 

Brian McDormand 
Lowell, Maine

PS: we all have favorite players

Mac: Good job tonight doing the work in the PI-Ellsworth game. Enjoyed your commentary. PLay-by play announcer should call on you more so fans could understand the game more. Ask you more questions about what he is broadcasting. Too bad to waste your basketball knowledge on just interviews (which you do a good job of by the way).

Just my opinion, and opinions are like noses "everyone has one".

I remember now your post on Aruajo now that you bring it up.

My only problem with Aruajo he is not enough of a offensive threat for me as a perimeter shooter and doesn't take it to the hoop enough to either create for someone else or finish for himself. Too unselfish if that is possible in today's modern game for today's modern players at the D-1 level and the danger of him being posted up if opponents are smart enough. Surprised teams haven't left off him from the 3 point line until he proves he can make them.

He's a hard worker and a good defender, but like you said about favorite players, I agree we all have favorite players just like there are "different basketball strokes for different basketball folks".

I just think that Bernstein deserved a scholarship as much as Aruajo did and he wasn't rewarded for the hard work and contributions he made as a walk on and that is not Araujo's fault that is the coaching staff's fault.

Nothing personal with me about Aruajo. Just "what floats someone else's basketball boat doesn't necessarily float my basketball boat".

Good that we can agree to disagree positively and friendly as that is not always the case here on MBR.

Hope you are doing the PI-MDI game tomorrow as I will have to decide do I watch your game or the UMaine men's game. I know I will just use my two computers and watch one game out of one eye and the other game out of the other eye, but will turn off the UMaine game broadcasting and listen to yours.

CIM

Blackbear28 (15 minutes)
bcbc55

Inside the Huddle with Coach Bob Walsh

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 am

Maine Basketball‏
@BlackBearMBB
Black Bear Insider brings you Inside The Huddle with @CoachBobWalsh
#BlackBearNation #AEHoops
watch video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearMBB/status ... 1787335680
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner