Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB at University of New Hampshire Jan 24 7pm

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 am

Maine women's basketball ready for matchup with No. 1 UNH

ORONO - While the Maine, New Hampshire rivalry was renewed on the ice, this week it'll take place on the hardwood.

Maine women's basketball travels down to UNH tomorrow in what is a rematch of last years America East tournament semifinal game. The Black Bears took it to the No. 1 seed surprising the Wildcats to advance to the America East title game.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... h-no-1-unh
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 am

Maine Women's Hoops
@BlackBearsWBB
Women's Basketball Back in Action on Wednesday at UNH
Preview: http://bit.ly/2n5qLof
: 7:00 PM
#BlackBearNation #AEHoops
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby fafan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Maine hands UNH there first loss at home in over a year 56-46. After blowing a 10 pt lead and the game tied at 45-45 Maine buckled down and played great defense to get this important W.
fafan

WBB: Defense steps up in 56-46 win over UNH

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 am

Women’s basketball: UMaine’s defense steps up in 56-46 win over UNH
The Black Bears contain UNH's big inside weapon, Carlie Pogue, in sending the Wildcats to their first home loss.

... The University of Maine blanketed Pogue, and the rest of the Wildcats, to top UNH 56-46 Wednesday night at Lundholm Gymnasium

Pogue hit an outside jumper to tie the game at 45 with 6:15 left. But neither she nor her teammates scored another basket as Maine pulled away.

This was a big win for the Black Bears, who handed UNH – the preseason America East favorite – its first home loss.

“I love this team. They compete,” Maine interim head coach Amy Vachon said.

Maine improved to 12-8 overall, 5-2 in the conference, good for a second-place tie with the Wildcats (14-6, 5-2). Defending champion Albany leads at 7-1.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/24/ ... -over-unh/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB: Defense steps up in 56-46 win over UNH

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 am

Maine Women's Hoops
@BlackBearsWBB
UMaine hands New Hampshire its first home loss of the season, 56-46
Recap: http://bit.ly/2DFDdq0
#BlackBearNation #AEHoops
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby turkeyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:14 am

This team shows a lot to like. Help defense. Versatility. Resilience. Unity. Awareness.

UMaine has allowed 90 points in the last two games combined. I really noticed it at Hartford when the help defense consistently showed up on time. Held Lindsey Abed to eight points, about half her average, and that included a desperation banked-in trey at the end of the third quarter. Then last night, instead of shutting down the high scorer, it shut down everybody else. As quoted in Kevin Thomas's game story, Carlie Pogue is stronger than anyone on Maine, so Maine fronted her and reduced her touches. Big kudos to both Fanny and KJ, who played together. Usually, KJ spells Fanny so they seldom play at the same time. Fanny stayed out of foul trouble, KJ logged significant minutes. And, last night Kira Barra got some minutes, too, helping to front Pogue. I expect to see Tanesha and Julie and Blanca sliding over to help on defense. Fanny was very mobile last night, several times picking up a guard who had slipped her man.

We used to marvel at Liz Wood, who several times played all five positions in a game. Now, it's team versatility. Last night, five kids played point at one time or another. Dor, Julie, Blanca, Tanesha, Maddy. Maybe Parise as well, but if so I missed it. She was mostly at the two. Tanesha played really well and wasn't in foul trouble until late. She may not have played all five positions, but how often do you have a player who can take the point and can also play the low post? And, T's work ethic and smarts rub off on everyone. Twenty years ago, people would ask, first, "How did Cindy do?" and then ask, "Did Maine win?" Now, if you just ask what kind of a game Tanesha had, you probably know the outcome. Seems to me when she is playing really well, this team wins. I don't mean to minimize anyone else. Blanca wasn't getting touches -- on offense, that is, she must have had a dozen or more deflections on defense last night -- and UNH was coming back, then Blanca started getting touches again in the fourth and after the Wildcats tied it up, she went to work on offense while the whole team shut down UNH for the final 6:15. Seems like Blanca, too, can do just about anything. Dor must be the shortest "5-6" I've ever seen, but she isn't afraid to go into the trees. It didn't always work -- her shots got blocked a time or two last night -- but I have seen her take rebounds away from UVM, Hartford and UNH 6-footers in the three latest games, just by timing and getting off her feet. She may elevate more inches on her jump than anyone else on the team. Great to have a point who can rebound under the basket.

At Dartmouth, the Green made a run on Maine in the fourth quarter, and I shuddered. At Hartford -- and oddly enough, last night at UNH -- the home team hit a trey at the buzzer to end the third quarter. That can be a huge momentum shift. But this team held on and came back all three times. It won by 13 going away at Dartmouth, it widened its lead on Hartford to start the fourth and it shut down UNH after the ties at 43 and 45. How many times have we seen a Maine team lead all game and then lose? And this team has done that at least twice this year (Toldeo, Bingo), but it seems to have some heart that not all Maine teams have had in the past. When I mentioned my fears of blowing the game last night, the guy with me said, "It's a glass half full, not half empty." He was correct. This toughness of mind is new, and it's a delight to see .

The guy who went to Durham with me is a fan of the game more than of UMaine. But he said a couple of times that what he likes to see is how these kids play together. When I said, "None of these kids is playing for herself," he said, "That is exactly it. They are playing for each other." Can you say team? Maine probably had a fair bit of that in the Vachon-Cassidy-Tinklova-Bowman-McCormick teams and in the Liz-Sigi-Mikayla-Bella-Sophie teams, but it doesn't always happen. I credit that to coaching. Instead of picking a couple of stars and building a cast around them, I believe Coach Vachon has let and helped these kids form as a team around the idea of playing and winning games. They seem very comfortable in one another's company and in the company of the coaches.

The quality I most admire in any athlete, or any person for that matter, is engagement. Most of these kids most of the time are fully engaged. The two players I best remember who seemed always fully engaged were Sue Altman of Columbia, who later played with Heather Ernest in Europe, and Olivia Zurek of Bates, who is now a geriatric psychiatrist. You used to see it often with Liz Wood and Sigi. Now I see it with several of the Maine players. When the game is on, their entire world is 94 by 50 feet. You see it in Blanca's eyes, you see it in Tanesha's body language. Etc. All in, all the time.

Maine is in second in AE at 5-2. It has won three of those five on the road. Last year it finished 9-7 in conference and won only two on the road (Hartford, Lowell). It lost both regular season games to UNH. Seemed like Maine lost a lot in April when the five transferred. Now, I'm not so sure. Maine may have hung on to the best of last year's freshmen in terms of kids with whom you can build a team. We may have some fun in the next six weeks.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby fafan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Bob great insight into things that we can't see while we're streaming, keep it up ;)
fafan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics