Amy Vachon finds her niche at the University of Maine

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:54 am

Women's basketball coach brings stability, success to program.

...“We just kind of hit it off. Her passion and general love of UMaine. It was her love of this program that resonated with me,” Barron said. “She has a very good understanding of the game. She’s a point guard and a coach’s daughter, been around the game since a young age.”

“Once I started getting back, basketball coaching in college was something I always thought about, but never seriously pursued. I never really seriously considered it,” Vachon added. “When he called to talk to me about it, it really intrigued me. Being back here and being part of it with him and bring it back to where it was has been fun. It’s been really challenging and a lot of work.”

As a member of Barron’s coaching staff, Vachon helped turn the Black Bears around. As it was when Vachon played, Maine contended for the conference title.

But early last season, Vachon knew Barron wasn’t feeling well. When he decided to step away from coaching, Vachon and the other assistant coaches weren’t blindsided.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/01/20 ... -of-maine/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Amy Vachon finds her niche at the University of Maine

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 am

Great article; thanks for sharing!
MaineBBFan99

Postby fromthebench » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Well, I find it hard to believe that a Mainer with only one year of high school coaching experience could be successful as a D1 Coach...actually I don't. We know our basketball in Maine and Amy is proof of that. Congrats! Now, as for the men....if things don't turn around quick maybe they should follow a similar path!
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

fromthebench wrote:Well, I find it hard to believe that a Mainer with only one year of high school coaching experience could be successful as a D1 Coach...actually I don't. We know our basketball in Maine and Amy is proof of that. Congrats! Now, as for the men....if things don't turn around quick maybe they should follow a similar path!

fromthebench: We agree that Amy is proof that a Mainer could be successful as a D-1 coach at UMaine. She has done an outstanding job coming into a difficult situation and has handled it with class and success.

Too bad previous administrations at Maine thinks you have to have D-1 experience to be hired as a head men's basketball coach at Maine.

If I remember correctly Peter Gavett was the first Mainer to be the women's head basketball coach, unless Arlene Fox was from Maine.

Coach Joanne McCallie was the next women's coach to be hired at Maine from Maine.

Didn't seem to bother the administration on the women's side.

How come it is such a big factor on the men's side and the women's program has been far more successful. Only women's coach not successful from Maine was Cindy Blodgett.

Skip Chappelle a true basketball Mainer had the most winning seasons 10 since 1949 and stayed the longest 17 years and used Maine kids for the most part to be successful.

Do you think the administration should hire a Mainer for the men's job the next time that job is open??????

How about hiring Mainer is Chris Markwood from South Portland, Maine played at Maine after transferring from Notre Dame. Has been very successful at Vermont and Northeastern as an assistant associate head basketball coach.

He applied when Walsh got the job and I believe he only got a skype interview when he was at Vermont. Great way to treat a Mainer, huh?

"What is sauce for the goose (the Maine women's basketball program) should be sauce for the gander (the Maine men's basketball program)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possible Men's Mainer discrimination?

What do you think?
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I agree. We have many great basketball minds in our state and they should get consideration whether or not they've had any D1 experience. Anyway, with Calixte as a fifth year who could potentially transfer to greener pastures, not offering Moss shows a complete lack of judgement. They want to lose.
fromthebench

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics