Red Gendron's future

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Red Gendron's future

Postby Linguist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 am

The UMaine Men's hockey team is currently 11-7-and-2 (as of January 11th). The Bears are 5-4-1 in Hockey East.

Their last loss was Friday November 24th, a 3-nothing defeat against Providence in Northern Ireland, since then UMaine is 7-0-2.

Is Red Gendron saving his job?
Linguist

Re: Red Gendron's future

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am

Jeremy Swayman is saving Red's job.

And recruiting has been on the upswing.
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am

mainejeff wrote:Jeremy Swayman is saving Red's job.

All this is true, but it seems the rest of the team is playing much better. Less stupid penalties, etc.. The overall performance of this team, led by Swayman, is improved. If it continues, I see no reason to make any changes to the staff.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

thebam wrote:
mainejeff wrote:Jeremy Swayman is saving Red's job.

All this is true, but it seems the rest of the team is playing much better. Less stupid penalties, etc.. The overall performance of this team, led by Swayman, is improved. If it continues, I see no reason to make any changes to the staff.

Yes, the team is playing much better. The coaching seems better....everything seems better. There's nothing to see here other than a possible at-large bid.

The focus will be on Bob Walsh & the men's basketball program.
mainejeff

Postby MaineRoots » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am

thebam wrote:All this is true, but it seems the rest of the team is playing much better. Less stupid penalties, etc.. The overall performance of this team, led by Swayman, is improved. If it continues, I see no reason to make any changes to the staff.

Bam is spot on.
Red deserves credit for pointing this program in the right direction. I was ready to give up on him.
Red, Leach, Guite, and now Alfie have brought some talent and size to the roster. I watched the Northeastern losses and the win at BU. It's not simply Swayman standing on his head. Crisp passing, solid power play and being aggressive while short-handed.
Huge weekend at Alfond coming up with UNH. 3 or 4 point haul is needed to keep up the positive vibe. Not a time for regression.
MaineRoots

Postby dunbar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am

They lead the league in penalties and are dead last in the PK. If they want a shot at the top four, this needs to change. The youth of the roster and lack of discipline really shines through in these departments.

Big week really. UMass tomorrow night is crucial to grab two easy points at home. Four or five points out of six this week is essential to get back into the hunt. Need to grab points now with four out of five on the road (at PC and BC) to end the regular season. Knowing this team's luck, they'll end up fifth, have a bye for the first round, sent on the road for the HE quarters, and no home games at all.
dunbar

Postby MaineRoots » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm

There is certainly room for improvement. This 2 game slide could be a sign of things to come.

However, with games in hand over the 5 teams ahead of them and wins v. BU and Lowell, they have a legitimate shot at the top 4. I did not think that was even remotely possible when the season started.
MaineRoots

Postby Blackbear28 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am

MaineRoots wrote:There is certainly room for improvement. This 2 game slide could be a sign of things to come.

However, with games in hand over the 5 teams ahead of them and wins v. BU and Lowell, they have a legitimate shot at the top 4. I did not think that was even remotely possible when the season started.

They lost two close games to a top 10 team in the country. Do people not remember last year? Or the year before that? Sure it would’ve been nice to get a win but let’s be realistic. Maine didn’t lose a game in December but they’re not making the tournament one year after one of the worst years ever. After how far the program has fallen in the last decade seeing real improvement for the first time is great. If they lose the majority of the next 7 games then I’ll be worried.
And say they did fire Red, who else are they bringing in for one of the lowest salaries in hockey east that’s going to do a better job?
Blackbear28

Postby GoBlackBears » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 am

Be lucky if team finishes in top 8.
GoBlackBears

Postby thebam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

GoBlackBears wrote:Be lucky if team finishes in top 8.

Spoken like someone who isn't paying attention. Virtually zero chance they finish 9th or lower. Zero. The best case is 5th, worst is probably 6th, right where they are now. Schedule looks like they can get around 10 more points or so. If they can pull off an upset against PC or BC along the way, all the better. This is a 5th or 6th place team for the playoffs.
thebam

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics