Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: WBB at UMBC Wed. Jan 10, 11 am

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 am

Women's Basketball Travels to UMBC for Wednesday Matinée

Orono, Maine -- The University of Maine women's basketball team (8-7, 1-1 America East) continues league play with its first America East road contest of the season when it travels to take on UMBC (1-14, 0-2 AE) for a 11 a.m. matinee on Wednesday, Jan. 10 live on ESPN3 and over the airwaves at 1230 WGUY. The Black Bears have won seven of the last eight meetings between the two teams.

A LOOK AT THE BLACK BEARS:
The Black Bears fell to 1-1 in the league after suffering a 66-62 overtime loss to visiting Binghamton on Saturday afternoon. Maine, which led by as many as nine in the contest, carried a six-point lead into the fourth quarter but was unable to hold on. Blanca Millan led the way with 21 points while Julie Brosseau added 20, assisted by five three-point field goals. The point totals marked the second time this season in which the duo each finished with 20+ (at Miami).

Millan has now tallied double-digit scoring performances in each of Maine's last 14 games, including six 20+ scoring totals. Millan, who checks in fourth in the league at 17.6 points per game, has started conference play by averaging 20.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals while shooting 45.7% from the floor. The sophomore's 36.7% mark from 3-point range ranks second in the league while she is third among AE leaders at 48.1% from the floor. Millan has also been a leader on the defensive end where she leads the league in steals per game (2.9) and ranks 31st nationally with 43 total steals. Brosseau joins Millan in double-figures, ranking eighth in the conference at 13.1 points per game. Brosseau, who has hit four or more three-point field goals in five games, ranks second in the league in three-point field goals (38) and third in both three-point field goals per game (2.5) and three-point percentage (35.2). Tanesha Sutton, Maine's rebounding (7.2) and assists (3.2) leader, is averaging 9.7 points per game. Sutton ranks fourth in the league at 2.3 steals per game and is a threat on the offensive glass, also ranking fourth in offensive boards (3.3).

http://goblackbears.com/news/2018/1/9/w ... tin-e.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Millan, Brosseau & Sutton lead Maine women past UMBC 64-50

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 pm

In an 11:00am early start time the UMaine women's basketball team woke up in the second quarter after taking 5 minutes before they scored in the game and trailed 11-9 at the end of the opening quarter.

Maine was just 1 for 7 from beyond the arc and in the first 10 minutes and then only took 3 3's and made 1 when in the second stanza and were much more patient in the half-court and raced to a 31-23 halftime lead out scoring the Retieivers 22 to 12.

Maine again scored 22 points in the 3rd period and held UMBC to just 9 for a 53-32 lead.

UMBC out scored Maine 18 to 11 in the final quarter 11 as the subs played out the final minutes as Maine went on to win 64-50.

Blanca Millan had a double double with 19 points and 11 rebounds, Julie Brosseau had 18 points and 4 assists and Tanesha Sutton had 11 points and 7 rebounds to lead Maine.

UMBC only had 1 player in double figures and that was Lucrezia Costa with an even dozen.

Maine shot 27 for 62 from the floor for 43.5% and UMBC was just 14 for 44 for 31.8%.

Maine again shot poorly from beyond the arc on just 5 of 21 for 23.5% and UMBC went 5 for 17 for 29.4%

From the line Maine was 5 of 9 or 55.6% and UMBC went 17-21 for 81.0%.

Maine out rebounded UMBC 45 to 26.

Assists Maine had 15 of their 27 FGM and UMBC had 11 of their 14 field goals made.

Turnovers Maine 18 UMBC 18

Points in the paint: Maine 24 UMBC 16.

Maine's defense was excellent as the Retrievers had a very difficult time getting off shots without a Maine player right in their face

Today was a day that even though they shot poorly from 3 point land, their defense and patience on offense after the first quarter showed that they could overcome poor 3 point shooting and still win a conference game on the road.

However, big positive with Maine's 3 game only took 35.5% of their FGA's as threes on 21 of 59 big improvement from season average of over 42% coming into game.

A negative was of the 21 threes they attempted most were on perimeter passes to the shooter which were 16 attempts and made 4. The other 5 attempts were on inside--outside passes of which they made 1.

Maine moves to 2-1 in conference play and 9-7 overall and returns to action this Saturday when they visit pre-season favorite Albany for a 2:00pm tip off.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: Millan, Brosseau & Sutton lead Maine women past UMBC 64-

Postby thebam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks America East for such a convenient start time to this game. I mean, who doesn't work anyway and has time to just sit at home midweek and watch hoops? Other than Coach Cim that is. Very frustrating scheduling to say the least. At least the men don't start until after I get home.
thebam

Postby fafan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

thebam wrote:Thanks America East for such a convenient start time to this game. I mean, who doesn't work anyway and has time to just sit at home midweek and watch hoops? Other than Coach Cim that is. Very frustrating scheduling to say the least. At least the men don't start until after I get home.

Bam,
Seems like a lot of schools have one early workday game to get kids to attend. Heard post game interview w/ Coach Vachon and she mentioned how loud the place was. I am guessing it was a good crowd for a one Win team.
Also Vachon said Milan held their #1 scorer to just 3 shots, Laura Castaldo. There is nothing better to have your #1 player be your #1 defender, really can help everyone else set step up their game. ;)
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm

thebam wrote:Thanks America East for such a convenient start time to this game. I mean, who doesn't work anyway and has time to just sit at home midweek and watch hoops? Other than Coach Cim that is. Very frustrating scheduling to say the least. At least the men don't start until after I get home.

Attendance was 2,366. Maybe they should schedule more weekday morning games! ;)
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm

thebam: When you have paid your dues and retired then you can watch these AM games.

I had to get up at 10:30am to watch this 11:00am game.

Usually don't go to bed until 3:00am and sleep until high noon so I had to get up early,.

I retired from coaching and ADing in 2000 but didn't retire from officiating basketball, volleyball and softball until 2015, at age 75, but boy these past 5 year have been great.

The only commitments I have now is to my wife, my cat, my "Off the Rim" Basketball Column-BLOG in the BDN from mid-November to mid-April, and giving individual player shooting lessons in the off season.

Biggest hobby being on MBR.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm

mainejeff wrote:

Attendance was 2,366. Maybe they should schedule more weekday morning games! ;)

MJ: Excellent observation and point.
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Just to clarify, the high attendance figure was due to Midday Madness, which is an annual event at UMBC that welcomes local elementary and middle school students to campus. Otherwise, there probably would have been 7 people at this game. Seemed like a pretty neat event and a fun atmosphere for the local kids; I believe UMass Lowell is planning something similar for when it plays Maine later this month.
MaineBBFan99

Postby turkeyman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Some years ago, AE began requiring every team to play at least one home game during daylight on a weekday. Marilyn and I attended this game at UMBC in 2007, I believe, because Bracey Barker and Ashley Underwood were each likely to get her 1,000th point. And each did, Ashley first and then Bracey.

The building wasn't full, but hundreds of school kids were there, noisy, as today, and they had a good time. I appreciate bam's concern, but these day games offer exposure to potential new audiences. Some do not draw nearly so well as today's game at UMBC.

Maine will play the Lowell day game at 11 a.m. on Jan. 31 (a Wednesday). Maine's home day game appears to be Monday when UVM comes in at 1 p.m., although all four AE games on MLK day are afternoon games. I can't find any other Maine home game on a weekday afternoon.

Odd sidelight. If I recall correctly, when Bracey scored her 1,000th point in high school, it was also on the day another player scored her 1,000th. I believe it was Shelly Gott, who went on to become the highest-ever scorer at MMA.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics