Showing how UMaine Hoop teams pad stats with 2 non D-1 games

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Showing how UMaine Hoop teams pad stats with 2 non D-1 g

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 pm

As usual, 55, you know nothing about why Maine does things with its basketball program ... but, you somehow have all the answers.

The answers, though, are formulated entirely in your own mind... without perspective, without insight, without attribution or confirmation from anyone who really knows.

Maine plays non-D1 games to pad its win total?
Says who?
You?
Forgive me while I laugh for a few minutes.

Why don't you actually make a phone call to Walsh ... or, just to the sports information department ... to ask about that.
Don't you actually write for a newspaper? That's what GOOD newspaper people do: They find out the answers from the source. They don't fabricate answers.
Oh, I forgot. If you called, they'd hang up on you!!!
Cue that laugh track, again.

Maybe Maine should put you in charge of scheduling, since you have all the answers.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:As usual, 55, you know nothing about why Maine does things with its basketball program ... but, you somehow have all the answers.

The answers, though, are formulated entirely in your own mind... without perspective, without insight, without attribution or confirmation from anyone who really knows.

Maine plays non-D1 games to pad its win total?
Says who?
You?
Forgive me while I laugh for a few minutes.

Why don't you actually make a phone call to Walsh ... or, just to the sports information department ... to ask about that.
Don't you actually write for a newspaper? That's what GOOD newspaper people do: They find out the answers from the source. They don't fabricate answers.
Oh, I forgot. If you called, they'd hang up on you!!!
Cue that laugh track, again.

Maybe Maine should put you in charge of scheduling, since you have all the answers.

19 As far as scheduing goes I sure would play the in state in system weak UMPI's and UMM's as exhibtion games and Husson, St. Jos's or USM for the 2 non D-1 schedule games that isn't to hard to figure out unlesss of course your team is desperate for wins and to pad their stats like I have shown that they certainly do fatten what poor stats that they have even including the 2 non cinference games.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Of course you would!

Not hard for you to figure out at all.

Of course, that's just you ... no inside information, no insight, no perspective, no nothing!

Call the coach. Call the sports information office.

You're the newspaper guy. Get to the bottom of this!!!

But, I'm not holding my breath.

You seem to only want to believe what can be formulated from within your own mind, rather than finding out the real reasons.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Of course you would!

Not hard for you to figure out at all.

Of course, that's just you ... no inside information, no insight, no perspective, no nothing!

Call the coach. Call the sports information office.

You're the newspaper guy. Get to the bottom of this!!!

But, I'm not holding my breath.

You seem to only want to believe what can be formulated from within your own mind, rather than finding out the real reasons.

19: Common sense would have you play the non D-3 lower tIered teams in the 2 exhibition games and D-3 Husson, USM and St. Joe's in the non conference games. Calling the Maine BB program or athletic department and ask them this question do you think they are going to give anyone the real reason why they do what they do and play stronger D-3 games in exhibition games and the non-D-3 team in the non conference games. BECAUSE THE CURRENT MEN'S BASKETBALL MEN'S STAFF WANT A COUPLE OF SURE WINS WHICH THEY WOULD NOT ALWAYS GET PLAYING D-3 HUSSON, USM of ST J's.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 pm

55; Common sense?
Or, your own imagination?

C'mon, do what a REAL newspaper person would do. Make a couple of calls.
Walsh probably doesn't do much media work. I'm sure he'd be overjoyed to talk to a big-time newspaper guy like yourself.

This is such an innocent question, of course they'd give an answer.

Call and say:
"I'd considering writing, in my newspaper blog, about your non-league scheduling policies. Is there a reason why you play some non-D1 programs and not others?"

Better yet, actually go to a practice. Afterwards, sit down with Walsh for 10 or 15 minutes to discuss some of the criticisms you have of what he does. As questions politely. You'll get answers.

That's it. If Walsh doesn't want to answer, then hammer him in your blog and on this site.

If you call Walsh, and he refuses to answer your questions, I'll jump on the bandwagon and hammer him in this forum, too.

And, think of the benefits if you actually go to a practice? You can actually see for yourself what Walsh emphasizes every day in practices, rather than making things up.

Otherwise, please stop with your unsupportive "theories" that don't make any sense to anyone but you.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 am

Maine19Fan wrote:55; Common sense?
Or, your own imagination?

C'mon, do what a REAL newspaper person would do. Make a couple of calls.
Walsh probably doesn't do much media work. I'm sure he'd be overjoyed to talk to a big-time newspaper guy like yourself.

This is such an innocent question, of course they'd give an answer.

Call and say:
"I'd considering writing, in my newspaper blog, about your non-league scheduling policies. Is there a reason why you play some non-D1 programs and not others?"

Better yet, actually go to a practice. Afterwards, sit down with Walsh for 10 or 15 minutes to discuss some of the criticisms you have of what he does. As questions politely. You'll get answers.

That's it. If Walsh doesn't want to answer, then hammer him in your blog and on this site.

If you call Walsh, and he refuses to answer your questions, I'll jump on the bandwagon and hammer him in this forum, too.

And, think of the benefits if you actually go to a practice? You can actually see for yourself what Walsh emphasizes every day in practices, rather than making things up.

Otherwise, please stop with your unsupportive "theories" that don't make any sense to anyone but you.

19: I got my information about why UMaine schedules like they do for exhibition and non conference D-1 scheduling from a good basketball friend of mine who is an excellent knowlegable basketball person with outstanding basketball experience who has a source that works in the UMaine athletic department and the padding for wins and stats was the reason for the scheduling being the way it is., because this Mens program needs a couple of guaranteed wins with all the losses.

My friend has lunch with his source from the athletic department at least once a month during the entire school year. In fact, he has more than one source from that department.

Like any media person I am certainly not going to give up my source(s) and I do not know who his/her source(s) are from the UMaine Athletic Department.

As far as attending practices, I could not even get a press pass to the home games at the CIC in Bangor for both Maine Teams for this season. So there is no way I am going to give them the satisfaction again of refusing me to watch practices. Maine knew I wanted the press pass for my BDN Column and Blog....but no dice....I guess they didn't like my columns or Blogs about the basketball programs as I just wrote it like I saw it.

I certainly am not going to pay to watch either team play when I can watch for free on line and get all I need to use for my Column, Blog or to post on MBR.

Besides the way Maine men plays and the women to as far as "living and dying by the three" with no inside game, no inside-outside game to get open 3's and little dribble penetration to get open threes all I have to do is watch them shoot for their 3 point percentages and what number of threes that they take of their field goal attempts because that is both teams almost entire games offensively. If I want to watch a three point contest I'll watch the one on the NBA All-Star break or either UMaine team.

When you take 44.1% of your FGA's as 3's like the men and 42.7% for the women and you only shoot 29.7% for 3's for the men and 31.2% for the women it is very simple. If they're hot they're hot, if their not their not. Those stats would be even poorer if the 2 non D-1 games were not included in both teams padded stats.

It's very simple so it is what it is if you like the raining and pouring of 3's. Every time each team plays it is a big gamble. 3 In win. 3 off rim, lose.

Also. I have quite a few basketball followers of my BDN "off the Rim" Column, BDN BLOG and on MBR that agree with me about the situations at UMaine for both programs. I get quite a few positive comments which are usually done by the old communication way of the telephone.

Now they may not be D-1 college basketball experts like you but they are good knowledgeable basketball people who are very supportive and tell me that they look forward to the Tuesday BDN Column and the BDN BLOGS and have not received a negative comment so far this basketball season.

Thought this might clear up some things that you thought you had all the anwsers too about me and my writings.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah, right.
You're getting third-hand "information" from someone who knows someone who knows someone, etc.

That's horrendous newspaper work.

UMaine won't give you a press pass? That's bogus, too.

They're so desperate for publicity that they'd give anyone who has any public forum a press pass.
Listen, I'll make a call in your behalf requesting a press credential for you. Would that be OK?
If they don't give you one, I'll blast them in this forum.
But, why would they deny such a bastion of journalistic excellence?

Like any "media person?" You're not like any media person.
A REAL media person would be proactive in getting questions answered, rather than just make things up ... throwing out lopsided opinions without any supportive evidence.
A REAL media person would go to the source, either by phone or in person, to get questions answered.
In the REAL media, third-hand information isn't permitted, nor should it be for you.

For you to criticize what UMaine does, without finding out why ... that is the most irresponsible act undertaken by any REAL media member.

Watching practices? My guess is that practices are open to anyone who'd like to come and watch.
Particularly for a former coach who possesses so much basketball knowledge.
Heck, if you went to a practice, Walsh might ask you to conduct an impromptu clinic!
(Note the sarcasm).

You wrote things "like I saw it."
Of course ... all from your own imagination.
What you "see" has no relevance to program policies, no supportive evidence as to scheduling policies, playing rotations or how players perform on the court.
Those answers only come from the source (you know, ones REAL journalists have). They only come from watching a team practice.
If you don't agree with the answers, then you can criticize. But, at least, give the other side a chance to make its point. That's REAL journalism.

How would you have liked it if some arm-chair QB whose closest view of your teams came only from watching on TV had such negative views of what you were doing ... without any insight whatsoever about your policies?

As usual, you change the parameters of the conversation, diverting things to your tired dissertation on three-point shooting, etc. I guess when you're wrong, you change the subject.

As for not having "received a negative comment so far ..." I guess you haven't been reading this forum. There seem to be plenty of negative responses to your opinions.

But, back to the subject at hand. Do you want me to make a call to Maine to get you a media credential, to get you access to practice?

Or, will you act like a REAL media member and make the call yourself?
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Yeah, right.
You're getting third-hand "information" from someone who knows someone who knows someone, etc.

That's horrendous newspaper work.

UMaine won't give you a press pass? That's bogus, too.

They're so desperate for publicity that they'd give anyone who has any public forum a press pass.
Listen, I'll make a call in your behalf requesting a press credential for you. Would that be OK?
If they don't give you one, I'll blast them in this forum.
But, why would they deny such a bastion of journalistic excellence?

Like any "media person?" You're not like any media person.
A REAL media person would be proactive in getting questions answered, rather than just make things up ... throwing out lopsided opinions without any supportive evidence.
A REAL media person would go to the source, either by phone or in person, to get questions answered.
In the REAL media, third-hand information isn't permitted, nor should it be for you.

For you to criticize what UMaine does, without finding out why ... that is the most irresponsible act undertaken by any REAL media member.

Watching practices? My guess is that practices are open to anyone who'd like to come and watch.
Particularly for a former coach who possesses so much basketball knowledge.
Heck, if you went to a practice, Walsh might ask you to conduct an impromptu clinic!
(Note the sarcasm).

You wrote things "like I saw it."
Of course ... all from your own imagination.
What you "see" has no relevance to program policies, no supportive evidence as to scheduling policies, playing rotations or how players perform on the court.
Those answers only come from the source (you know, ones REAL journalists have). They only come from watching a team practice.
If you don't agree with the answers, then you can criticize. But, at least, give the other side a chance to make its point. That's REAL journalism.

How would you have liked it if some arm-chair QB whose closest view of your teams came only from watching on TV had such negative views of what you were doing ... without any insight whatsoever about your policies?

As usual, you change the parameters of the conversation, diverting things to your tired dissertation on three-point shooting, etc. I guess when you're wrong, you change the subject.

As for not having "received a negative comment so far ..." I guess you haven't been reading this forum. There seem to be plenty of negative responses to your opinions.

But, back to the subject at hand. Do you want me to make a call to Maine to get you a media credential, to get you access to practice?

Or, will you act like a REAL media member and make the call yourself?

19: First off I don't want you to try to get me a press pass. If I can't get it the right way then I do not want one at all. I WOULDN'T GO TO THOSE GAMES NOW IF I HAD ONE.

I never said I was a professional media person. Just a part time column writer and BLOGGER . I did get hired for those positions, but that is far from being a full time professional. As far as MBR goes I was personally invited by Tom to take part when he started this forum years ago.

I was criticized my entire basketball coaching career because the style of play I used was considered unconventional and unorthodox and many of those criticizing me were arm chair no nothings like you consider me.

What people said and what is being said now by you and others doesn't bother me a bit. It's fun to get under your so called basketball expert skin.

If coaches can't take the basketball heat from me in my writings then they should get out of the basketball kitchen.

Your opinion of me and my ideas and thoughts and 25 cents couldn't buy anyone a hot chocolate drink.

My only complaint about your posts about and towards me is your cheap negative name calling, constant digs, cheap shots to try to make your points, etc. under a user name. If you are going to do that then have the guts to use your real name, otherwise you are just another in the line of weak kneed posters that have criticized me here on MBR. Many have left and I am still here.

The same will probably happen with you too, if the GOOD LORD doesn't take me soon here at my age. But then
that is the probably the only way you will outlast me here on MBR.

'"Got along before I met you can get along without you now".

i TRIED TO COME BACK ON AND SEE IF YOU WOULD CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE BUT YOU HAVEN'T SO I WILL NOT RESPOND ANY MORE TO ANY OF YOUR POSTS PERIOD ABOUT ME OR MY POSTS. I HAVE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH WHAT LITTLE TIME I HAVE HERE ON THIS EARTH. YOU STARTED ALL THE NAME CALLING, CONSTANT DIGS AND CHEAP SHOTS SO I AM ENDING IT AS FAR AS MY RESPONSES TO YOUR POSTS ABOUT ANY OF MY MBR POSTS.

GOOD BYE. HAVE A GOOD MBR LIFE.

TIME TO GET READY TO WATCH BOTH UMAINE GAMES SO THAT I CAN WATCH ALL THE 3'S THAT WILL BE FLYING.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Oh, now it's "I don't want a press pass," after you "couldn't get one."

What's the truth here?

The truth is that as a representative of a newspaper ... you do actually write a blog for the BDN ... you are entitled to a press pass. One phone call and ... viola! ... you'd have one.
Again, I could secure a media pass for you within minutes.
You want to actually go to today's games? Let me know ... there will be a press credential waiting for you.

You want to get a press pass the "right way?"
Then, you make the call. No college program as desperate for coverage as Maine's would ever deny a request from a media member.
If you do that, and are denied access, I'll blast Maine in this forum at every opportunity.
Heck, if you get denied a press credential, I'd even stop criticizing you in this forum.

You're right about this: You most certainly are NOT a professional media person. You certainly don't act like one.
But, as someone who has a public forum in a newspaper ... by definition, you are a member of the media.
Your professional ethics, however, are certainly non-existent.

Still, your responsibilities as someone who actually has a forum in a newspaper would dictate that you would act professionally ... that you would find out answers to some of the issues you take on, rather than hypothesizing out of your own fertile imagination without any interaction from those who could provide real answers. Otherwise, all you're doing in your BDN forums is presenting what has come to be known as "fake news."

When you have a public forum in a real newspaper, you have an obligation to present both sides of any issue you take on. You have an obligation to let the other side make its case. Have you ever done that?

So, it's fun to get under my skin? Is that why you're always being so foolish in these forums? That must be it, since it's hard to believe you'd know so little about college basketball.

As for coaches not taking the basketball heat from you: It would be professionally ethical (you, know, as a "journalist") ... to allow those coaches you constantly criticize to have their say, to not only respond to the criticism, but to reasonably discuss why they do things.

You waited for me to have an attitude change?
What ... did you expect me to start agreeing with any of your convoluted, unsubstantiated, fact-less theories that have no perspective, no insight, no inside information and are consistently wrong?

There's an easy solution to all of this. Get a media pass. Go and actually watch games. Talk to Walsh to find out his reasoning for scheduling, for playing style, for substitution patterns.

When you do that, then you'll be exhibiting some professional journalistic ethics rather than acting like some wanna-be who does nothing but criticize without perspective. Otherwise, you're just a very uneducated arm-chair fan, unwilling to consider any input other than what comes from your own fertile imagination.

I'm not doing any "cheap negative name calling." I'm just trying to get you to get out from behind your brick wall of stubbornness and understand how things work in college basketball. And, I'm trying to convince you that having a public forum in a real newspaper brings the responsibility of presenting both sides of an issue, to give the other side a chance to respond.

Oh, and I'm gutless because I won't use my real name? Seems to me that the message carries a lot more credibility than one's identity. We all know your name. It hasn't helped your credibility a bit.

It seems to me that you're the one who won't even make a phone call to Maine coaches to get their views on your questions. You're the one who won't even request a press credential. So, who's the gutless one?
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 am

Hey bcbc55: Next Maine men's game is Wednesday.
Want me to arrange for you to have a press credential?
Coach Walsh will also be available afterwards to answer all your questions.
You'd be treated like a real media person.
You can find out the real answers to why things are done.

As they say, the ball is in your court!
Maine19Fan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics