Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshire

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshir

Postby mainejeff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:41 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
Maine19Fan wrote:AE's 8 wins:
- 'Albany, probably the 2nd-best team in AE, has 3 of them, over Iona (8-7), Siena (4-12) and Canisius (9-7).

Not so sure about that now. They just dropped to 0-2 in conference play after losing at UNH today. This was after they lost at home to Hartford.

Vermont, still the best team in the conference, has lost their star Lamb to an injury and his return to action this year is questionable.

If there was ever a season in which the conference title was completely and totally up for grabs, this is it.

+++
mainejeff

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am

Basketball_guy: Have you even watched Alabama play this year?
You said this: "Its is a power game at Alabama and a power game at Maine."

In truth, Alabama's "power player," Giddens, can hardly get off the bench.
Alabama is one of the most-athletic teams in college basketball. It plays fast and relies almost exclusively on its athleticism.

'Bama's two leading rebounders are 6-9 Hall and 6-5 Ingram. Both are superior athletes and most definitely NOT power players.

There is NO power game in AE. Every team has 6-foot-7/6-8 athletes that serve as "post" players. No "plodding" teams have any success in AE. Check the rosters.

And, you think that Maine is ONLY recruiting in state? How would you know that?
In reality, that statement could't be further from the truth. We've gone over this any number of times. The best current player in Maine is a D2 player, at best.

And, stop with the Simon stuff. He got fired at Alabama. He's not going to be Maine's next head coach.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Yes, I watched them lose yesterday to Georgia....because they only scored 46 points....so don't sit there
and tell me that they have a great team this year. Their top guard scored 23 of their 46 points. That tells
me that just perhaps those athletes are not as great as you seem to be indicating.

Alabama is my alma mater. I don't pretend to know what place you graduated from. But I know from two seasons
of practice that basketball in the SEC and at Alabama is indeed a power game. I had plenty of bruses to prove that. I can not explain why Giddens is not playing, but when one player scores half your points as Collin did yesterday it appears some changes are needed at Alabama.

You appear to be an expert on everything, but since I was at Maine and Alabama I think I have some idea
how things really are. I don't pretend to be an expert but you aren't either so unless you have evidence supporting your contention on Bob Simon, dont bloviate.

And as far as Simon goes you were not a party to that conversation so you have no idea what you are talking
about. He may have left on his own for all you know or he may have had a disagreement with Avery Johnson.
I do know he was primarily responsible for recruting some great players at Providence and the 5th rated class
at Alabama two years ago. He certainly is not calling the shots at Maine right now. He deserves serious consideration for the Head Coaching position.
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Basketball_guy: you played JV at Maine, and were a walk-on at Alabama how long ago?
Different world now.
Alabama is one of the most-athletic teams in the country. Not a lot of power in the way it plays.
The conversation, though, was about whether Mattos could play at Alabama. The truth is absolutely, positively NOT.
Not remotely close. Not in your wildest dreams.
You should know that the type of basketball he plays and what's played in the SEC are different worlds.
So, you watched one game on TV and, now, you have all the answers about Alabama?

As for Simon ... there's no bloviating, just facts: Simon got fired at Alabama. Check the internet for the reports.
He has no chance... ZERO ... of being Maine's next head coach.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 pm

I know the real story about Simon. I don't have to read it on the internet either.

I think most of your posts are garbage...

I am not going to reply to them anymore.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:30 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I know the real story about Simon. I don't have to read it on the internet either.

I think most of your posts are garbage...

I am not going to reply to them anymore.

basketball_guy: Couldn't agree more. Now that makes two of us.

bcbc55
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 am

I don't know what to make of this guy....he is an expert on everything...but I doubt he ever played at the Division 1 level and he refuses to acknowledge what his experience is.
I don't really care to be honest...he is obviously a legend in his own mind, not in anyone elses...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion....I guess...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:17 am

basketball_guy wrote:I don't know what to make of this guy....he is an expert on everything...but I doubt he ever played at the Division 1 level and he refuses to acknowledge what his experience is.
I don't really care to be honest...he is obviously a legend in his own mind, not in anyone elses...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion....I guess...

basketball_guy: Don't lose a second of sleep over this guy. MBR got along without him before he came on MBR and MBR can get along without him now".

I didn't mind his disagreeing with anybody it was the way he went about it by his attacks on people personally when he didn't agree with them which was 99.4% of the time.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 am

Hartford beat Albany and now New Hampshire beat Albany....I am beginning to wonder about Maine's chances...now
or perhaps it was just a figment of my imagination. Maine appears to be playing better against their own Conference foes....

I was really hopeing until the Dartmouth game that Maine could turn around this season but after that game it just appeared to be going to the same old thing after three years of this nonsense, losing, losing, losing...

If Maine can somehow beat UMBC and then beat Albany in Bangor that would make me a believer, that perhaps just perhaps there is hope....
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:47 am

basketball_guy wrote:Hartford beat Albany and now New Hampshire beat Albany....I am beginning to wonder about Maine's chances...now
or perhaps it was just a figment of my imagination. Maine appears to be playing better against their own Conference foes....

I was really hopeing until the Dartmouth game that Maine could turn around this season but after that game it just appeared to be going to the same old thing after three years of this nonsense, losing, losing, losing...

If Maine can somehow beat UMBC and then beat Albany in Bangor that would make me a believer, that perhaps just perhaps there is hope....

basketball_guy: I said after watching Maine play D-3 Husson and St. Joes in exhibition games that I thought Maine had enough talent with the JUCO players they brought in to go along with the returnees to finish 8-8 in conference play and maybe finish 4th so they could get a home quarter-final game.

However, since their opening non conference game they played the same way they did the past 3 years of 18-74 overall and 12-74 against D-1 teams. and going 1-13 against D-1 teams and 3-13 overall this season to make it 22-87 verall and 14-87 against D-1ers. No inside game, no inside outside game or little dribble penetration to get open looks for three and using 10 plus players double figure minutes and living and dying by the three.

However, against Binghamton after another poor first half when they were 2-9 for 3's 22.2% and down 34-27 it looked like just more of the same.

But something happened as in the second half they put Er 6'6" inside and actually went to him. He usually is on the perimeter jacking up threes. but he took 14 shots and only 5 were 3's and 8 were in the paint where he made 7 2 pointers and 1 baseline jumper for his 8 field goals. He even made an old fashion 3.

I don't know why Er hasn't been starting as he is Maine's second best player after Calixe and their best BIG.

Because of this Maine went 5-12 for 3's 48.1% and 7-21 for the game for 33.3% in the second half. An improvement over their 29.6% for threes going into the game.

Also, they only took 21 of 54 field goal attempts as 3's for 38.8% which was an improvement of their 44.1% coming into the game.

They took better shots in the second half.Looked for each other more, made better basketball decisions and got to the foul line more because they went inside more.

If they play that way in the rest of their 14 conference games as they played in the second half against Binghamton they can be in the game against any of the conference opponents except maybe Vermont.

I hope Maine and Er try to get his red shirt year for that injury that court him the season after playing in 11 games. I know the rule for red shirting for an injury is 7 games but maybe because Er is a JUCO transfer and was a junior last year when he moved to Maine that maybe, just maybe they can get that year back so he could play next year.

We will know next game hosting UMBC on Wednesday if the second half against Binghamton was real or just happened by accident. If I was Walsh I would play the game film of that second Binghamton game to the players enough times to show them that they really can compete in the conference if they play like they did against the Bearcats in the second half.

The only negative I took away from the game against Binghamton in the 2nd half was that Walsh continues to play 10 plus players double figure minutes which doesn't give Calixe and Er enough minutes. Should be using 8 players. Start Calixe and Er both play 35 minutes, start White and Fleming and play them 30 minutes each, start Lowndes and play him 25 minutes and sub in Ilija S., Antoms and Evans 15 minutes each for the 200 game total minutes.

This playing 10 plus players as 12 of Maine players are averaging double figure minutes and Calixe is the only one over 31 and he is at 31.1.

What do you think about just using 8 players?

After all with all the media timeouts at the 16-12-8-4 each half plus the 5 time outs that makes 18 possible timeouts per game and the most consecutive minutes they can play is 4 if neither team calls a time out.

If they are worried about wearing them out just cut down the practice minutes for these players as I would rather have then get their minutes in games and not in practices.

Using all the players that they have used so far it is like intramural basketball it looks like Walsh is trying to keep all the scholarship players happy at the expense of winning.

Actually Main eis just one three shot away from being 2-0 in that tough loss at Stonybrook. They did play better in the second half against SB but not as good as they did against Binghamton. These two games show Maine should be able to compete in one of the weakest Conferences in the country as America East is 32 of the 32 D-1 conferences in SOS and is the 27th ranked conference RPI wise in realtimerpi.com RPI and SOS conference rankings.

We can hope can't we basketball_guy?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics