Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshire

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshir

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 pm

And, I've seen the detriments that a plodding big guy can have in an era where almost every team at this level emphasizes quickness and getting down court in a hurry.

Maine isn't EVER going to win an NCAA game, unless it's one of the "first four" games.
Pretty much the same for the NIT.

When's the last time Maine even got into the NCAA's .. yes, we know the answer.

The thing is to get there. That means winning the AE tournament. AE is a league of smaller, athletic players. You don't win against athletic teams like Vermont, Albany, etc., with a big plodder on your side.
Imagine a non-athletic "big" trying to guard the likes of Warney?

And, Alabama could use him? Geez, be real.
Have you watched Alabama this year? One of the most-athletic teams in the country.

Here's the comparison: Daniel Giddens, similar size: 6-11, 250 pounds. He was a top 10 center nationally coming out of high school. He is Alabama's 9th man in terms of minutes played. Not quick enough to keep up with the style Alabama plays this season.

Mattos would be a good intramural-league player at Alabama.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:59 am

Yes I agree he would not start at Alabama, but Maine? He has some good moves inside and as far as getting up and down the court, he is there for offensive and defensive rebounds as much as inside scoring. That is why they need some fast guards to get up and down the court on fast breaks. He would do well at Maine. We have seen how this team does when it just relys on the three point shot all the time. They need an outside but also an inside game.
A new coach won't hurt at this point.

Maine is hurting right now on the inside. They need an inside presence in the middle.
basketball_guy

Postby Blackbear28 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 am

basketball_guy wrote:I have been told this guy has a bit of a temper. Thats fine with me that is exactly what THE UMAINE basketball team needs next year. A true Mr. Sluggo...

Maine had a true Mr. Sluggo last year and how did that end up? Multiple suspensions and now Mr. Sluggo is a Gamecock.
Blackbear28

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 am

basketball_guy: Not only would he not start for Alabama, but he wouldn't come remotely close to making the team. He'd be a good intramural player at a program like Alabama.

Maine? Doesn't seem to be any involvement, for whatever reason. Maybe he told Maine he's not interested. Kids always go to the highest level. Some MAAC schools are involved, that's a higher level. A couple of the better AE schools showing interest, too.
Maybe Maine thinks like I do ... a slower "big" doesn't fit the playing style.
Who knows?

Like I said, I haven't seen him in person, but what I've seen in video highlights isn't overly convincing that he'd be an "impact" player. And, history shows us that teams at this level with a slow "big" get overwhelmed by 6-7/6-8 athletes.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who actually saw him play in person.
Maine19Fan

Postby mainejeff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 am

Maine19Fan wrote:
Maine? Doesn't seem to be any involvement, for whatever reason. Maybe he told Maine he's not interested. Kids always go to the highest level. Some MAAC schools are involved, that's a higher level.

America East is 8-4 vs. the MAAC this season.
mainejeff

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 am

mainejeff, if you go back and look, the MAAC has been rated higher than AE every year...with, maybe, one or two exceptions over the last 25 years.

But, admittedly, this is a down year for the MAAC.

Still, that AE record vs. MAAC teams is a product of the better AE teams beating the lesser ones from the MAAC.

AE's 8 wins:
- 'Albany, probably the 2nd-best team in AE, has 3 of them, over Iona (8-7), Siena (4-12) and Canisius (9-7).
- UMass-L has beaten Marist (3-11).
- Hartford, Vermont and even Maine have beaten Quinnipiac (5-10).
- Vermont has beaten Siena (4-12).

And, still, the MAAC is rated No. 20 among conferences nationally while AE is rated 27th.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Take my word for it, he would make Alabamas roster because I am more familiar with Alabama's roster than I am with Maine even though I was on Maines JV team before I was on Alabama's Crimson Tide team after I left Maine.

You may think that Alabama is light years ahead of Maine in Basketball. Just remember this Richmond beat Alabama in the first round of the NIT last year. Take my word for it they are not that far ahead.

Yes, Alabama has the athletes, but I am a native Mainer. Maine needs this kid. He just scored 39 points against Windham (now that may not be saying much) but what I like is he has an attitude. It may get him in some trouble perhaps but right now they need some players like "Mr. Sluggo" who give a dam about winning. He is someone to be reckoned with underneath. Basketball is a power game man once you get high in the NCAA's. It is not all finese
as you make it out to be.

They need someone who they can pound the ball into for low underneath baskets and sadly they are missing that.
I can not speak to the former "Maine Mr. Sluggo" I just know what I have seen when I was back visiting my sister
in New Hampshire and this video. Maine should go after this kid...
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

basketball_guy: Have you even seen Mattos play in person?

There is NO WAY he would make Alabama's roster. Schools like Alabama get kids from the Top 100 list.
Giddens, for instance, was the 10th-ranked center nationally coming out of high school. He barely plays (9th in minutes played) at Alabama.

'Bama is 9-5, ranked 39th in the country and has played the 8th-most difficult schedule nationally.
It has two of the best freshmen in the country, both future NBA players.
It plays in one of the best conferences in the country, currently ranked the third-best nationally.
Maine plays in one of the worst conferences nationally (No. 27 of 32 conferences).

You really think Alabama is not light years ahead of Maine in basketball?

In truth, they operate in two different worlds.
Comparing Alabama to Maine is like comparing a slingshot to a howitzer.

You must not be watching if you think basketball is a "power game." It's an "athlete's" game, particularly at Maine's level.

Anyway, it does not seem that Maine is going after this particular player, and I can understand why.

Let me know when Alabama gets involved!
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Its is a power game at Alabama and a power game at Maine. I don't care what conference Maine is in. The best always comes to the top. Joanne MacCauley is certainly evidence of that when she Coached at Maine and beat
Alabama in Bangor with the Womens team.

Well, as I attended both Maine and Alabama and went to the Alabama Basketball Alumni get togethers I have seen
whom you are talking about and yes this year Alabama should be able to get to the NCAA tournament. Maine may
be lucky if it gets to the AE tournament. But this is the first year Alabama will be going to an NCAA tournament in about 5 years I would guess. The difference is Alabama actually rebuilt over the past three years, Maine has just been treading water with the wrong coach. It is not out of the realm of possibilities for Maine to get its act together on the recruitng trail once they fire Walsh. Bob Simon was instrumental in the recruiting class that you
mention. That is why I would like to see him get the Maine job. Avery Johnson made a big mistake letting him go.
But Maine is at rock bottom right now. I think we can both agree on that.

The Maine job is not a coveted one but it certainly is a desirable one. I have not seen anyone that Maine is going after at this point other than in state. Perhaps you know more. But they need a stopper on the inside and someone who can mix it up inside and that may this kid or someone else. Frankly, I hope they do go after him because I think they can land him. Some of the higher prospects are not gettable at this point even in New England and while he may be a project, he would be nice piece in the overall scheme of things gping forward and
right now they have only one way to go and that is up, not sideways and certainly not the bottom. They have hit
bottom already. Basketball is all about recruiting and they need to start somewhere other than Maine.
basketball_guy

Postby parquetfloor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:AE's 8 wins:
- 'Albany, probably the 2nd-best team in AE, has 3 of them, over Iona (8-7), Siena (4-12) and Canisius (9-7).

Not so sure about that now. They just dropped to 0-2 in conference play after losing at UNH today. This was after they lost at home to Hartford.

Vermont, still the best team in the conference, has lost their star Lamb to an injury and his return to action this year is questionable.

If there was ever a season in which the conference title was completely and totally up for grabs, this is it.
parquetfloor

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics