Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshire

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshire

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Tayler Mattos is rated 25th on top prospects in New England. He is 6 foot 10 and power inside and
I think Maine could have a shot at him if they would work on him. Perhaps they have but this is exactly
the type of player they need in the middle which is really missing right now. Maines inside game is missing a power forward or Center. This is exactly the type of player Maine needs to land going forward.

The month of June is a big time for both elite camps and team camps run by various division I programs. It is different from the live periods because you're only playing in front of one coaching staff as opposed to potentially numerous ones at the same time but it can still be very beneficial.

No one has benefitted more than Kearsarge High School big man Tayler Mattos who has attended numerous camps with his WrightWay Skills club and earned a plethora of offers along the way.

In fact, Mattos has now earned four new division I offers in the last ten days. It began last week at BU when Mattos earned an offer while on the Terriers campus. Subsequent offers from Albany and Bryant both came mid-week and now, most recently, he landed an offer from Rider following their team camp on Saturday.

Mattos had a dominant junior year in the state of New Hampshire, putting up huge numbers while helping Kearsarge win the state championship, earning his first D1 offer from the University of New Hampshire in the process, and cracking the NERR rankings.

He joined WrightWay Skills and showed definite potential in April but now appears to really be hitting his stride just in time for July.

Below are some of his recent highlights.
basketball_guy

Re: Tayler Mattos Kearsarge High School big man New Hampshir

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 pm

High schools: Mattos scores 39 to lead Kearsarge past Windham

By JAY McAREE
Monitor staff
Friday, December 22, 2017
1 0 Print
KEARSARGE COUGARS NHIAA BOYS' BASKETBALL WINDHAM JAGUARS TAYLER MATTOS TOMMY JOHNSON
Kearsarge coach Nate Camp doesn’t believe his team has played its best basketball yet. That’s a scary thought for the rest of Division II boys’ hoops.

Playing up a division after winning the state championship in D-III a season ago, the Cougars continued their hot start to the year on Thursday with a 77-57 home win over Windham in their final game before the holiday break.

Kearsarge is 3-0 and averaging 70 points per game.

So far, so good in its new home.

“It was a good game for us tonight. We won, but we really started to come together,” said Camp, who’s in his ninth year at the helm for the Cougars. “I still don’t think we’ve fully clicked yet, which can be scary, but I think this group still has another gear that we’re still hoping to get where we’re just all clicking.”

Kearsarge came close to finding that gear in the second half against the Jaguars.

After taking a slim two-point lead into the half, the Cougars pieced together a game-changing 25-7 run in the third quarter, fueling their transition buckets and fast-break scores with stops and turnovers on the defensive end.

“I think Windham hit seven 3s in the first half. Some teams could go a whole game without hitting that many against us. They shot the lights out, and in some cases, we were right in their face,” Camp said. “That third quarter was the difference. We came out of halftime with some fire knowing that we had to get stops and then we got lot of breakouts that led to the big run.”

Camp credited senior Will Chadwick for helping swing the momentum back in Kearsage’s favor with a 3-pointer in the second quarter that weathered the long-range barrage from Windham. But it was the usual suspects for the Cougars who carried the scoring load.

Seniors Tayler Mattos and Tommy Johnson combined for 62 points. Mattos poured in 39 while pulling down 12 rebounds and Johnson carved the Jaguars up for 23 points, six assists and four rebounds.

While the duo’s numbers on a nightly basis are eye-popping, it was the contributions from the rest of the rotation players that had Camp fired up: Joe Storozuk added four points, but finished with six rebounds and five assists; Kyle Hernon paired well with Mattos inside and flashed some nifty interior passing, finishing with eight rebounds and five assists; and both Jordan Bryk (four points) and Noah Tremblay (three rebounds, two steals) have transformed themselves into steady players for the Cougars.

“We’ve been able to put up points with obviously Tommy and Tayler leading us, but we’ve had multiple guys on our periphery that all chip in,” Camp said. “I think that’s really going to be the difference for us this year – it has to be the difference – because in Division III, most nights you could get away with Tommy and Tayler, and maybe that’s it. But in Division II you have to be deep and you have to have guys that can step up and knock down shots.”

The Cougars won’t resume the regular season until hosting Lebanon on Jan. 2, but they are one of eight local teams participating in the 47th annual Capital Area Holiday Tournament, which tips off for Kearsarge on Wednesday at NHTI with a contest against Pembroke at 5:30 p.m.

“We’re definitely trying to go down there, play at a high level and win that tournament,” Camp said.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm

I have been told this guy has a bit of a temper. Thats fine with me that is exactly what THE UMAINE basketball team needs next year. A true Mr. Sluggo...
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 am

Yes, he would fit in well at Maine. He's the type of player that could be a nice piece ... not a program changer, but a nice piece.
No, he won't go there. Interest is starting to take off.
HE's already drawing significant interest from Boston U., Albany, NHampshire, Rider, Canisius, Hartford.
I've been told that some CAA and A-10-level teams are starting to get involved.

So, why would he go to Maine?

Here's the other pretty significant issue at our state school: It let its coach go into a lame-duck season with the very strong likelihood that he won't be back next season.
That all but kills recruiting. Kids go to a school to play for a specific coach. They don't want to commit to a coach/school and, then the coach who did the recruiting isn't there when the player arrives.

Maine should have either bought out Walsh's final season last March, or extended him.
Why didn't they buy him out?
Because of the financial issue. It didn't want to shell out $120K to get rid of him.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:33 am

I agree but this kid is still uncommitted and he is from New Hampshire. He is rated 25th in New England and he is type of player Maine needs to go after. I also like that fact that he has a temper. We need a few players with a temper to get over this losing streak they seem to be on, plus the fact he is a great scorer inside and big. Right now
Maine needs a player like that.

Perhaps we will get lucky and he will still be available when a new coach is named.
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:50 am

I haven't seen him play in person, but watched several of the clips available.
He is big, but there are reasons why players with his size aren't heavily recruited at this point in their high school careers.

Hard to tell off only a few videos, but the level of competition wasn't very good. He's not overly athletic, and it looked like everything he did was in the paint. It will be interesting to see how he fares against other college-level types, even if they're only 6-7 or 6-8, if he faces any.

He doesn't look like a program-changer, even at Maine's level. He probably would be better off to go prep for an additional year. But, he certainly is already good enough to be a nice piece at a low-major program like Maine. Obviously, other mid-majors are starting to think the same way. I just wonder why there was so little interest in him prior to this summer.

Anyway, there's no "geographic" connection, even though he's from New Hampshire. North Sutton is about 270 miles away from UMaine. If he wants to stay regional, he'll go to NH or one of the Boston schools. Heck, he's closer to Albany/Hartford than he is to UMaine. If he really likes winters, he can go to Canisius (Buffalo).

I have no insight about his own interest for college, but it stands to reason that he'll be committed to a college long before Maine's coaching situation is rectified.
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:38 pm

OK, I just watched 5+ minutes of highlights from some skills academy this past summer. Like I said, better to see a player in person.
But ... not real athletic, doesn't get off feet real well.
He got a lot of offensive rebounds, but on many of them he was pushing (from behind) an opponent, the type of shoves that get called as fouls in real games. He didn't seem to be getting good rebounding position.
The couple of outside shoots he took were basically, from his chest, which doesn't translate well to D1 level.
Opponents on the highlight tape all looked to be four/five inches shorter. He wasn't facing any competition.

That said, he seemed to play hard. He is 6-foot-10. He made some nice inside moves, but it remains to be seen if he can do the same things against better, bigger competition.
Just an opinion, but he's a mid-major level player/project. He's the type player that a school like Maine might get and, then, develop over a year or two.
But, the strong guess is that he'll go to a better program ... particularly with the Maine coaching situation in such uncertainty.

Has anyone seen him in person?
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 pm

https://youtu.be/urOO5FQGRRg

He is a big guy who is not afraid to take it inside.

A bit slow perhaps but the old adage is you can not teach size. You either have size or you don't.

He would be a strong addition to THE UMAINE basketball program and I think with enough of a recruiting
effort they could get him. You need a strong presence in the inside which Maine is clearly lacking right now.
Too many three point shots...
basketball_guy

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm

You're right, you can't teach size.
This kid is not a stiff, so maybe he can be developed over a couple of years.
I hope he's considering a prep season. That might help.

But, in this small-ball era, it's not exactly an advantage to have a big, slow guy in the lineup.

Most teams at this level have athletic 6-7 post players. a 6-8 standout like Warney at Stoney Brook was a rare exception. Vermont's post players are both 6-8 and both are athletic.

We shall see. But, there''s not a mention anywhere of Maine being involved.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Maybe, but we have seen how not having a big guy in the middle has done for Maine. They have become a one and done with the three point shot.

And no team doing anything these days in the NIT or NCAA is without a big man. That probably explains Maine basketball woes more than anything else other than the current coach. I wonder if the AD could intervene right
now.

Let me tell ya if Maine does not want him I am sure Alabama could use him. I am from the SEC so I can tell you size does matter on the inside game. And no team is going anywhere without an inside game.

He is a bit slow but if they bring in some more talent this year it would work well for MAINE.
basketball_guy

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics