Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 am

Men's Basketball Falls in Heartbreaking Fashion to Stony Brook in America East Opener
Maine came back to take a late lead, but Stony Brook registered a game-winning 3-pointer with 4 seconds remaining.
http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2018/1 ... pener.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby thebam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 am

I thought, at times, that Calixe tried way too hard to do stuff on his own , in lieu of getting others involved. Is this fair? Seemed to be playing " hero" ball at times . Determined to be the one taking the shot no matter what.
Overall, I thought this was a good effort by Maine. Not quit in them, which is probably the most refreshing thing of all.
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 am

thebam wrote:I thought, at times, that Calixe tried way too hard to do stuff on his own , in lieu of getting others involved. Is this fair? Seemed to be playing " hero" ball at times . Determined to be the one taking the shot no matter what.

Can you blame him? :|
mainejeff

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 am

A loss is a loss weather it is by 1 point or buy 20 points. Makes no difference just another loss in the loss column.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby thebam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am

Archer Bunker wrote:A loss is a loss weather it is by 1 point or buy 20 points. Makes no difference just another loss in the loss column.

AB

Spoken like a true tee shirt fan who didn't watch the game. This is about as weak as it gets .
thebam

Postby thebam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 am

mainejeff wrote:
thebam wrote:I thought, at times, that Calixe tried way too hard to do stuff on his own , in lieu of getting others involved. Is this fair? Seemed to be playing " hero" ball at times . Determined to be the one taking the shot no matter what.

Can you blame him? :|

Perhaps not, but some of the shots he took were flat terrible. Overall he played well, so I 'm not crucifying him thoroughly. They looked better last night than when I saw them in Lubbock.
thebam

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

thebam wrote: They looked better last night than when I saw them in Lubbock.

Speaking of Lubbock & Texas Tech, how about the fact that they are now 13-1, ranked #18 in the nation and fresh off a win in Lawrence, KS over the Jayhawks. I believe I heard that was their first ever win at Kansas. Who knew that team would be this good this year?
parquetfloor

Postby thebam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:50 pm

parquetfloor wrote:
thebam wrote: They looked better last night than when I saw them in Lubbock.

Speaking of Lubbock & Texas Tech, how about the fact that they are now 13-1, ranked #18 in the nation and fresh off a win in Lawrence, KS over the Jayhawks. I believe I heard that was their first ever win at Kansas. Who knew that team would be this good this year?

Maybe not this good, but they start 4 Sr's and a Redshirt Jr. Lot of experience. They play extremely hard. Went to Kansas and never trailed in the game. Unreal.
thebam

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Good effort by Maine.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Calixe tries to do way too much, but I understand why he does. He played all 40 minutes against SB. He is playing out of position at point, but who do they have that can play point better the him so be can move to wing point shooting guard?

Maine as usual still playing way to many players double figure minutes. Settle on just 8 and live with. It is just high priced intramurals playing 10 or 11 players.

If they were playing 8 players more minutes they would probably let the game come to them instead of frcing things and try taking themsleves to the game because they know they are not get enough minute s to' Make hay while the sunshine). Looks like coaching staff ismore concerned with keeping everyone happy instead of playing the best 8 players the minutes that they need to play in order to perform at their best.

My eight players Calixe, White, Er, Fleming, Lowdnes, Evans, Ilija S. and Antoms or Dusan M.

With Fleming, Calixe playing out if position it really hurts this team. Also using Walsh's structure versus freedom philosophy which certainly is freedom by letting the players decide who shots, where they shoot from (44.1% of FGA's are three point attempts) and when they shoot their assists to FG's made ratio is not good on 201 assists 0f 370 hoops @ 57.1%. This means that players are not looking pass first, they are looking for their shot first, but that has been their offense for 3 years and 14 games.

However, that is not the players fault as coaches who demand not get not. Do like the effort by these players and they seem to be a good group of guys. They do battle and the last three games second halves have shown that there is no quit in them.

If they can just play 2 consecutive second halves like they have in the last three games against UMass, Columbia and SB they could be a team that could finish as high as fourth to get a home tournament game or if they continue on this same path of "living and dying by the three" as taking 44.1% of your field goal attempts as threes and shooting below 30% from beyond the arc while doing so is a big problem, they could finish 9th like the AE coaches pre-season poll predicted and by finishing 9th and not even make the tourney as there is no 8-9 playin game this year,
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics