Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Sure ... says one thing, gets proven incorrect and, then, says he meant something else.

When I have time, I'll look up mpg stats on the tournament teams last year ... my very strong guess is that it will support thebam's contention.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Sure ... says one thing, gets proven incorrect and, then, says he meant something else.

When I have time, I'll look up mpg stats on the tournament teams last year ... my very strong guess is that it will support thebam's contention.


19: Probably won't let us know if I am right only if I am wrong.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Sure ... says one thing, gets proven incorrect and, then, says he meant something else.

When I have time, I'll look up mpg stats on the tournament teams last year ... my very strong guess is that it will support thebam's contention.

And, even if it doesn't ... bcbc55's contention is that most teams AT ANY TIME of the season use an 8-man playing group and use its top players 35+ minutes per game.

Thebam proved you absolutely incorrect.

And, then, you try to change the parameters of your incorrect supposition.

This is what I mean about backing up some of your "theories" with real facts.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Sure ... says one thing, gets proven incorrect and, then, says he meant something else.

When I have time, I'll look up mpg stats on the tournament teams last year ... my very strong guess is that it will support thebam's contention.

And, even if it doesn't ... bcbc55's contention is that most teams AT ANY TIME of the season use an 8-man playing group and use its top players 35+ minutes per game.

Thebam proved you absolutely incorrect.

And, then, you try to change the parameters of your incorrect supposition.

This is what I mean about backing up some of your "theories" with real facts.



19: I was referring right from the start about conference, post conference and Big Dance play about using 8 players and the 2 best players 35 minutes a game and I stand by that. I was not and did not intend for it to be thought about as for about non -conference game play as that is when teams should be using more players to see who the first 8 where going to be when the games really counted towards the big dance by conference seedings for conference tournies and to win the automatic bid berth to the big dance by winning the conference tournament.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm

55: That's not what you said.
Your initial contention was that Maine's rotation should be limited to 8 players, right now.
And, then that theory isn't in practice anywhere. It was proven to be totally incorrect (thanks thebam).
So, when proven wrong ... suddenly you change the parameters of your illogical contention.

It won't change in the league season. Coaches use preseason practices, and scrimmages and exhibition games to determine who plays and rotations. The non-league games are NOT any sort of experimental situation. Every coach wants to win every game. They need to win as often as possible to keep their jobs. They'd play 15 players a game if they thought that would be beneficial.
Yes, they'll shorten lineups, too, if that would help.
But it doesn't. At the pace games are played today ... EVERYWHERE ... coaches have to go 9, 10 deep every game to keep players fresh. Fresh players are better than tired ones.

There are so many games during league play, and they come so often, that it makes no sense for coaches to start playing key players 35+ minutes in league play. Doing that would result in tired legs by season's end and, in fact, make teams that overused players in league play more susceptible to getting upset in conference tournament play.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 pm

55, Let's look at just the AE tournament last year:

Opening round:
- Vermont vs. Maine. Vermont uses 12 players, none more than 25 minutes. Maine (suspensions, injuries) uses 8.
- Stony Brook vs. Binghamton: SB uses 10 players, only one more than 28 minutes. Bingo uses 10, none more than 34 minutes.
- Albany vs. Hartford: Albany uses 11, none more than 33 minutes. Hartford uses 12, two for 35 minutes, no one else for more than 25.
- NH vs. UMBC: NH uses 8, starting five all 34+ minutes; UMBC uses 10, one 36, one 34 , no one else more than 30.

Semifinals:
- Vermont vs. NH. Vermont uses 11 players, none more than 28 minutes; NH uses 8, three 35, all others 23 or fewer.
- Albany vs. S.Brook; Albany uses 8, 3 37+ minutes, others 27 or less; SB uses 10, one the full 40, no one else more than 32.

Finals:
- Vermont vs. Albany: Vermont uses 9, only one more than 34 minutes. UA uses 8, only 1 more than 34 minutes.

The only team that consistently used a short rotation during the tournament was Albany. The reason for that is that it had three scholarship players injured and it was down to 9 scholarship players and two walk-ons for the AE tournament.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:55, Let's look at just the AE tournament last year:

Opening round:
- Vermont vs. Maine. Vermont uses 12 players, none more than 25 minutes. Maine (suspensions, injuries) uses 8.
- Stony Brook vs. Binghamton: SB uses 10 players, only one more than 28 minutes. Bingo uses 10, none more than 34 minutes.
- Albany vs. Hartford: Albany uses 11, none more than 33 minutes. Hartford uses 12, two for 35 minutes, no one else for more than 25.
- NH vs. UMBC: NH uses 8, starting five all 34+ minutes; UMBC uses 10, one 36, one 34 , no one else more than 30.

Semifinals:
- Vermont vs. NH. Vermont uses 11 players, none more than 28 minutes; NH uses 8, three 35, all others 23 or fewer.
- Albany vs. S.Brook; Albany uses 8, 3 37+ minutes, others 27 or less; SB uses 10, one the full 40, no one else more than 32.

Finals:
- Vermont vs. Albany: Vermont uses 9, only one more than 34 minutes. UA uses 8, only 1 more than 34 minutes.

The only team that consistently used a short rotation during the tournament was Albany. The reason for that is that it had three scholarship players injured and it was down to 9 scholarship players and two walk-ons for the AE tournament.


19: You didn't list the margin of victories in those games so your information is incomplete not knowing the scores of the games. Scores please..
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 am

You can look them up. I already did all the work that proves unequivocally that AE teams in tournament play did not shorten playing rotations as you contend.

But, here's what you'd see: There were seven games played in last year's AE tournament. Four of them were decided by 10 or fewer points.

You want me to do all your work for you?
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 am

Maine19Fan wrote:You can look them up. I already did all the work that proves unequivocally that AE teams in tournament play did not shorten playing rotations as you contend.

But, here's what you'd see: There were seven games played in last year's AE tournament. Four of them were decided by 10 or fewer points.

You want me to do all your work for you?



19: It's your post. I'm not going to do your work for you. After all you are the so called D-1 basketball expert.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine men's BB teams comback falls short to SB 71-70

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Here you go, 55: http://www.americaeast.com/news/2017/1/ ... 31493.aspx

And, yes, I'm doing your work for you.

You presented a foolish theory about playing time, but failed to provide any factual evidence ... as usual.

thebam's research proved you wrong. And this link, above, does the same.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: turkeyman and 75 guests