Final Columbia 83 Maine men 71

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Final Columbia 83 Maine men 71

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 pm

mainejeff wrote:Every season this team has key injuries.

mainejeff: You are right ever since they have been under the current so called coaching regime. Could it be they are worked too hard in practices once the non conference season starts and peak (when has that happened? in February when they shoud trying to peak a tournament time?
Gloger in 2014-15
Little and Vann in 2015-16
Calixe, Fleming and Er 2016-17
Douglas, White, Bryant, Ilija S, Eze, Dusan M. so far this year
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

basketball_guy wrote:The question is, why isn't Maine listed on these kids offer list? Is Maine in on them? I know Walsh wants one point guard each year, but it seems like they should be reaching out and recruiting more than just one kid at at time. Target 5 or 6 guys for 2 scholarships and take you chances instead of putting all the eggs in one basket and winding up empty.

Linguist:

I agree with everything you said. Why isn't Maine getting some of the middle tier Prep school players for 2018?
My guess is because they see a Coach on the hotseat....and won't committ till they see who the next Coach is.
(That is reason enough to let Walsh stay thru the end of the season, but let it be known he won't be the next Coach). Then start interviewing new Candidates now instead of waiting. They are going to have enough of a difficult time getting recruits as it is for 2018.

Lets face it Walsh will be gone by April. On that point I have no doubt. But Bob Simon would be a solid candidate
for the position, although with what is going on now that may not happen.

But yes I agree they need to be recruiting the Prep Schools out of State. Makes you wonder if they have some special deal cooking with Lee Academy (In Lincoln...thanks for correcting me).

basketball_guy: I have posted several times that Creech should announce NOW that Walsh is a lame duck coach and let him finish the year so that they can get started searching for a new coach even though it is so early.

Better early this year that real late when Walsh was hired in May of 2014.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 pm

How do you think the players would respond ? Would they listen and react to a coach that has no real authority over them anymore?
thebam

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 am

I agree with TheBam...most probably the kids would be looking to move elsewhere.
But it does appear these kids are playing with some pride on the line.

https://www.thescore.com/news/497070

I was just looking back at the newspaper article on the Hiring of Bob Walsh.
He certainly had the pedigree to be a good coach, but there was something
that was not quite right obviously. Reading this article from four years ago it is
almost like a repeat of where we are today. Different actors but same results...
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 am

thebam wrote:How do you think the players would respond ? Would they listen and react to a coach that has no real authority over them anymore?

thebam: I don't think it would effect the players in any way. The players coming in tis year knew the situation coming in that Walsh was 17-74 overall and 11-74 vs. D-1 competition and he was in his last year of a 4 year contract. They knew about the 11 trnsfers in 2 years. After all 7 are JUCO's and jumped at a chance to play D-1....White, Lowndes, Er, Bryant, Araujo, Douglas gone, Araujo all JUCO's Fleming, Calixe, Ashley walk on, Ilija S., Dusan M. transfer from LaSalle, Evans, Melmad walkon, and Eze out injury. Bristonis ?? and Wang ?? what are their status?

After tonight's game in which they could have won against Stonybrook who was in 4th place in America East realtimerpi.coms RPI rankings and had the second best SOS Strength of Schedule in the non conference games shows that Maine has enough talent to finish in the top 4 teams if they can play 2 halves back to back like they have in the last 3 games against UMass, Columbia and Stonybrook.

I definitely don't think it would make any difference at all if Creech announces that Walsh is a lame duck coach. The players are not going anywhere like the 11 players that transferred out. They will wait and see who the new coach is and they will play hard to impress the new coach so it might even be a positive for the team. After all the only seniors are ER and Melmad.

As far as them being tuned out to a lame duck coach the players have been tuned out offensively for 3 plus 16 games with Walsh's if you play the D you an have the offense which they have had as the players decide who shoots, where they shoot from (44.1% of the time it is a 3 point attempt) and where they shoot from so that wouldn't change.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 am

55: You don't think a coaching change would affect the players in any way?
Tell us how you come to that conclusion.

College players go to a school to play for a specific coach.
You think they come to Maine for the balmy climate?

When there's a coaching change ANYWHERE, players transfer.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:53 am

Maine19Fan wrote:55: You don't think a coaching change would affect the players in any way?
Tell us how you come to that conclusion.

College players go to a school to play for a specific coach.
You think they come to Maine for the balmy climate?

When there's a coaching change ANYWHERE, players transfer.

19: Because the JUCO's had no where else to go or they would have been there before coming to Maine. They saw it as a chance and probably their only chance to play D-1.

Where are these players going to transfer too? They will be better off staying at Maine regardless who the coach 1s as it will have to be an improvement regardless who it is it certainly couldn't get any worse. Do you think they are listening to this staff now? It sure doesn't look like it w when you are 1-13 against D-1 competition.

Speaking of transfers other than Myers and maybe Vann how well are the other 9 who transferred out doing in D-1 of they are in D-1. That certainly will be a factor if any of the current players try to transfer out.

The group could stay the same if nobody leaves as there is only 1 scholarship available and that is Ilker Er's.

Just because a lot of players transfer when coaching change occurs does not mean that it will happen at Maine this time.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 am

This from 55: "Just because a lot of players transfer when coaching change occurs does not mean that it will happen at Maine this time."

Of course, no one can predict the future.

But, we can examine past trends and how they might pertain to future situations.

Here's perspective:

Players, 99.9% of the time, pick a school based on the school's head coach.
A coach leaves, very often players also leave.
That's historical perspective, based on reality.

OK, 55: You asked the question about Maine transfers and how the "other 9 who transferred out (are) doing in D1?"
Your question, you need to give the answer.
A question without an answer is worthless.
Maine19Fan

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics