[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:51 pm

+2...

- Maine football isn't dropping to a lower conference.
Competitive every year, makes a good chunk of money to support athletics with a guarantee game every year, etc.

- DIII? Yes, extremely dumb contention.

- One guarantee game annually is enough.

Does it help to play those games? Of course it does, in a big way financially. And, it helps to occasionally play against better talent.

Sorry, blackbear27, but you do sound, as thebam says, "clueless" on these issues.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:+2...

- Maine football isn't dropping to a lower conference.
Competitive every year, makes a good chunk of money to support athletics with a guarantee game every year, etc.

- DIII? Yes, extremely dumb contention.

- One guarantee game annually is enough.

Does it help to play those games? Of course it does, in a big way financially. And, it helps to occasionally play against better talent.

Sorry, blackbear27, but you do sound, as thebam says, "clueless" on these issues.


You have 2 again next year...this seems to be the plan moving forward
yorkcountyUNHfan
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby maine612 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:15 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with Maine. It's Cosgrove's life.. I say good for him. D3 football is awesome. Pure amateur sport. I think he will have a blast and I wish him the best of luck. I respect Coach Cosgrove very much for all he did for Maine sports.

612
User avatar
maine612
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby thebam » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:21 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:
Maine19Fan wrote:+2...

- Maine football isn't dropping to a lower conference.
Competitive every year, makes a good chunk of money to support athletics with a guarantee game every year, etc.

- DIII? Yes, extremely dumb contention.

- One guarantee game annually is enough.

Does it help to play those games? Of course it does, in a big way financially. And, it helps to occasionally play against better talent.

Sorry, blackbear27, but you do sound, as thebam says, "clueless" on these issues.


You have 2 again next year...this seems to be the plan moving forward

I think if they have a 12 game schedule, 2 FBS games are OK. I would much rather have them do that, than play another team like Bryant or some other scrub 1AA team that offers really nothing but a guaranteed win. This year showed that in the CAA , 7-5 with a good schedule gets you in.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Guarantee games bring much needed money to the program.
Nothing wrong with playing 2 annually.
Everyone here talks about how Maine athletics are underfunded.
But, guarantee football games are big-money makers for the lower-level teams.

I'm not going to try to find out how much Maine gets for every one of those games, but it did get $300K a few years ago for a game at BC.
Maine19Fan
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby thebam » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Guarantee games bring much needed money to the program.
Nothing wrong with playing 2 annually.
Everyone here talks about how Maine athletics are underfunded.
But, guarantee football games are big-money makers for the lower-level teams.

I'm not going to try to find out how much Maine gets for every one of those games, but it did get $300K a few years ago for a game at BC.

I think they got $700K from Central Florida this year, and then didn't even get to play the game. I could be wrong on that figure, but I am almost certain I read that UCF was paying them regardless.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby dunbar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:44 pm

UCF was $350K, and they still got paid that amount even though the game never took place.

Two a year is fine as long as there is at least five home games a year.
dunbar
 
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Blackbear27 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Time will tell. We will see who is correct once again.
Blackbear27
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Blackbear27 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 pm

You are wrong. $350,000. 2 FBS puts to much of a beating on the team. Easy games are good for the team just ask Alabama ( Mercer). It so funny and clear who has never played past H.S. football. The program should not have to get beat up to fund other sports. One FBS is enough if Maine played UCF this year it would have been a blood bath.
Blackbear27
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby fafan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Guarantee games bring much needed money to the program.
Nothing wrong with playing 2 annually.
Everyone here talks about how Maine athletics are underfunded.
But, guarantee football games are big-money makers for the lower-level teams.

I'm not going to try to find out how much Maine gets for every one of those games, but it did get $300K a few years ago for a game at BC.


For those of us that follow the football program closely realize that UMaine has to play 2 FBS games because of the financial benefit to the program. It hurts the team tremendously in making the playoffs knowing they are more than likely to have 2 losses each year b/c of this fact. As Bam mentioned we would be much better off playing another FCS OOC team.
I believe there was only one or two other FCS schools that played 2 FBS opponents. We have a chance of a win in 2019 if Georgia Southern continues to struggle.

I will retract my statement in that losing Jack is a loss for X players who I am sure enjoyed meeting Jack at the games and maybe in some cases recruiting. But I find it hard to believe Jacks departure is a reflection of the status of the program.
fafan
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: turkeyman and 67 guests